• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gare de nord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train jaune

Just back from Paris and had horrible memories of my last visit to the Gare de Nord about 10 years ago. Must say I was rather impressed by what is Europe's busiest station these days. Very clean and efficient and light and airy. Something for a rebuilt Euston to asapire too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
My main gripe with Gare du Nord is that there's hardly anywhere to sit down on the concourse!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My main gripe about Gare du Nord is that it is a filthy and unsafe feeling tip. Surprised anyone would compliment it; I would take the present Euston any day.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least with Euston you have signs where to go from the underground to reach the main part of the station, Arrive on the RER at Gare De Nord and good luck finding the way to the intercity part of the station.

And less chance of helpful locals trying to sell the most expensive tickets going & chuggers.

Last edited:

CheesyChips

I've never been to Gare du Nord but last month I arrived at the labyrinth known as Part Dieu station in Lyon. My French is ok ish but they really know how to keep you in there guessing :)

Diplodicus

But like their attitude to labelling their wine... if you need to ask, you shouldn't be drinking it.

Groningen

Established Member
The only benefit of Paris Nord that it is close to Paris Est. Just like Austerlitz and Gare de Lyon.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My main gripe about Gare du Nord is that it is a filthy and unsafe feeling tip. Surprised anyone would compliment it; I would take the present Euston any day.

I've never felt unsafe there.

Agree they could do more to reduce the volume of litter, though.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The area around is quite unsavoury and the suburban lines serve some "challenging" areas -not a place to hang around really - I always killed time upstairs on the coffee shop and would not hang around outside for any reason.

Not that Brussels Midi is any better -

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The area around is quite unsavoury and the suburban lines serve some "challenging" areas -not a place to hang around really - I always killed time upstairs on the coffee shop and would not hang around outside for any reason.

Agreed. To be fair the area around Euston's sides isn't salubrious either, but it does just feel much safer. Maybe it's just because I know how much of a pickpocketing problem Paris has compared with London.

Not that Brussels Midi is any better -

Quite, another armpit of the railway network located in the armpit of what is otherwise a pleasant city to visit.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The area around is quite unsavoury and the suburban lines serve some "challenging" areas -not a place to hang around really

When I stay in Paris, I tend to use a hotel that is 5 minutes walk from Gare du Nord. I also chase haulages on the lines in and out of Nord, surface, RER and Metro. I've been going to Paris regularly since 1992 and i have never yet had a problem.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
When I stay in Paris, I tend to use a hotel that is 5 minutes walk from Gare du Nord. I also chase haulages on the lines in and out of Nord, surface, RER and Metro. I've been going to Paris regularly since 1992 and i have never yet had a problem.

Well - apart from being hassled by beggers , groups of undesirables eying up your property and an awful journey on RER A (where the clientel on an airport service were far worse than you would see on a London train including a semi- dressed person lounging on the seats with body scabs did not make for a good ambience. Gangs of youth openly tagging the inside of a train in service ,also on said line. .

Absolutely no staff around.

No no problem really.....no way would I stay around. And am not afraid of grungy areas / bars etc - but not round that area. I believe there has been a drive to improve things. Give me Drummond Street Euston any day.

colchesterken

I had problems there going on holiday last year I went on Eurostar then had to get TGV from Gare de lyon. I was flustered and short of time the signage was terrible
Eurostar came into platform 3 and the RER was from 44 took ages to find my way there nearly missed the TGV
This year I am going to try Avignon and change there

CC 72100

Established Member
and an awful journey on RER A (where the clientel on an airport service were far worse than you would see on a London train including a semi- dressed person lounging on the seats with body scabs did not make for a good ambience. Gangs of youth openly tagging the inside of a train in service ,also on said line. .

Absolutely no staff around.

That will be the RER B, not the A. The trick is to take the direct trains, as opposed to the stoppers, as at least that way you can sail through some of the problem areas instead of stopping there.

Gare du Nord isn't as bad as it used to be... you can get unsavoury types at all the termini to be honest, I don't think Nord is exceptional in that. The suburban platforms may be uninviting, but once again, they're hardly alone in that aspect.

coupwotcoup

I've been using Gare du Nord for onward/return travel off and on for almost
30 years and I cannot recollect ever feeling totally at ease while
crossing Paris - be it by RER or the normal metro service.

Just buying a ticket can be a headache in itself, with few machines
operational and the ticket office usually manned by just one person,
despite major queues forming.

Thankfully, the automatic service is showing signs of improvement,
with easy to follow instructions in languages various now installed
close to the ticket office.

But one massive gripe I have is the lack of staff at the automatic barriers,
with nobody on hand ever to help those with luggage and children as far
as I can recollect.

anme

Established Member
Quite, another armpit of the railway network located in the armpit of what is otherwise a pleasant city to visit.

I have always found Brussels Midi entirely representative of what must be the worst capital city in Europe.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I am not over keen on Nord or Lyon, but Est and Austerlitz are ok.

The Eurostar part of Nord needs to be made larger, they could go out over the top of the Eurostar platforms.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I have always found Brussels Midi entirely representative of what must be the worst capital city in Europe.

I would agree - tried hard to like the place on frequent work trips - but failed miserably. Not much greenery in the centre , and some insalubrious areas. Anyone noted the red light area as you run into Central from the Antwerp direction ? .....

WestRiding

Not wishing to hi-jack, but, i will be arriving at Nord by Eurostar in August. Is it an easy transfer to Est? Need to catch TGV to Zurich. Cheers.

Veteran Member
Not wishing to hi-jack, but, i will be arriving at Nord by Eurostar in August. Is it an easy transfer to Est? Need to catch TGV to Zurich. Cheers.

Yes, about 10min walk, and it is signposted (to some extent!). Though I'd look at it on Googlemaps first.

And check where your TGV is going from - Zürich trains use Gare de Lyon now.

Last edited:

WestRiding

Yes, about 10min walk, and it is signposted (to some extent!). Though I'd look at it on Googlemaps first.

And check where your TGV is going from - Zürich trains use Gare de Lyon now.
Really? Loco2 says Est......?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Really? Loco2 says Est......?

Correction I read it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Groningen

Established Member
Paris Gare de Lyon 07:23 (10.23, 12.23 and 16.23)
Belfort-Montbéliard TGV 09:38 - 09:41
Mulhouse Ville 10:03 - 10:06
Basel SBB 10:26 - 10:33
Zürich HB 11:26

4 trains without change to Zürich HB per day from Paris. At 18.23 to Basel as final train to Switzerland.

WestRiding

Paris Gare de Lyon 07:23 (10.23, 12.23 and 16.23)
Belfort-Montbéliard TGV 09:38 - 09:41
Mulhouse Ville 10:03 - 10:06
Basel SBB 10:26 - 10:33
Zürich HB 11:26

4 trains without change to Zürich HB per day from Paris. At 18.23 to Basel as final train to Switzerland.

Thanks. I think i will get a taxi between the Nord and Lyon then, i will only have an hour to get there.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Walking is dead easy - done it many times - and not unpleasant either .....

You can tell I am not a fan of the GDN area....

Status
Not open for further replies.