• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gartcosh Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Anyone know if there has been any passenger moves on the single line chord on Gartcosh junction? I imagine there is freight coming from Coatbridge to Stepps direction. Is the OHLE on this stretch unused?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Anyone know if there has been any passenger moves on the single line chord on Gartcosh junction? I imagine there is freight coming from Coatbridge to Stepps direction. Is the OHLE on this stretch unused?
Two or three years ago diverted The Lowlander sleeper ran from Queen St High Level so would almost certainly have used this curve.
Way back in the past, pre wiring, it was used by the Fort William sleeper portion en route from Mossend.
Perhaps mainly used by ECS (?) and the occasional (diesel) freight e.g. there is a 'Q' path to Glen Douglas MOD.

waverley47

Its not used for much any more unfortunately, but it's still a useful piece of line and has daily movements.

A lot of the track recording stuff for the West Highland, the alcan traffic, anything headed to Glen Douglas ect. Diesel hauled anything isn't usually allowed through the lower lines at Queen st or Central, and freight isn't allowed during the day on the E&G, so anything coming from the south and off towards Craigendorran gets sent that way.

There are also a lot of unit moves, being the easiest way to timetable (and the only electrified route) between Shields and Eastfield. There were also movements to the Rollox works, but now these have ceased.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
There are also a lot of unit moves, being the easiest way to timetable (and the only electrified route) between Shields and Eastfield. There were also movements to the Rollox works, but now these have ceased.
Undoubtedly the easiest to timetable but by no means the only electrified route - e.g. with multiple reversals Whifflet South Jn/Sunnyside Jn, or Rutherglen West Jn/Argyll Line/Queen St low Level (reverse Hyndland), or in extremis via Edinburgh.

route101

Established Member
Its not used for much any more unfortunately, but it's still a useful piece of line and has daily movements.

A lot of the track recording stuff for the West Highland, the alcan traffic, anything headed to Glen Douglas ect. Diesel hauled anything isn't usually allowed through the lower lines at Queen st or Central, and freight isn't allowed during the day on the E&G, so anything coming from the south and off towards Craigendorran gets sent that way.

I see, didnt realise freight was barred on the E & G.

waverley47

Undoubtedly the easiest to timetable but by no means the only electrified route - e.g. with multiple reversals Whifflet South Jn/Sunnyside Jn, or Rutherglen West Jn/Argyll Line/Queen St low Level (reverse Hyndland), or in extremis via Edinburgh.

I should say the only reasonable way. Multiple reversals around the clydeside network isn't going to be acceptable during daylight hours. Via Edinburgh as well isnt going to be reasonable with Glasgow based drivers shuttling between the depots.

It’s not. If you can find a path (difficult but not impossible) then it can run, there’s no formal ban.

Therein lies the problem. At the east end there are 12 tph each way, and at the west end there are other problems. Most freight that could go along the E&G goes via the Shotts line, Mossend and Greenhill lower in order to bypass this route. It's not officially banned per say, but it would be impossible to find a path to such an extent that control won't entertain the possibility.

There are of course some non passenger movements along this line, most notably the oxwellmains to Aberdeen cement traffic, however this runs before 8am and after 8pm, to not interfere with the clock face timetable.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I should say the only reasonable way. Multiple reversals around the clydeside network isn't going to be acceptable during daylight hours. Via Edinburgh as well isnt going to be reasonable with Glasgow based drivers shuttling between the depots.
Fair enough, but there will be times when that route is not available.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Therein lies the problem. At the east end there are 12 tph each way, and at the west end there are other problems. Most freight that could go along the E&G goes via the Shotts line, Mossend and Greenhill lower in order to bypass this route. It's not officially banned per say, but it would be impossible to find a path to such an extent that control won't entertain the possibility.

As I say it’s difficult but not impossible. As a Controller I‘ve put in plenty of VSTP schedules for additional ECS, freight or light loco moves over the E&G. If I can find a compliant non conflicting path in Integrale it goes in the system. We ‘entertain’ any requests the FOCs and TOCs wish to make and if we can make it work then it happens. That’s my real life experience of doing the thing you’re saying is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.