• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Garve level crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
There's emergency engineering works at the Garve level crossing tonight, closing the road.

Traffic Scotland Tweeted the diversion for motorists:

BfaQOmzCAAAZLXE.jpg

Probably fine on a nice summer day, but overnight in the middle of winter...!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
That would be very annoying to have to drive along.

How are people going to get to Ullapool?

Gathursty

Established Member
That's ridiculous. I wonder if there's a private estate near Garve which could be used as a better diversion to drive through when times necessitate it with a little offering of gratuity from NR or the Highland Council.

fsmr

Yeh been caught out as few times up there with RTCs closing the road south of Fortwilliam. Often easiest is to just park up and have 5 hours kip

Not much options for that LC closure other than a temporary LC around the site or hiring in a crane and running an air bridge over the site for cars and vans and I cant see that ever happening unless drivers can claim compensation in which case if there is enough, the financial case might stack up for an alternative access. I guess with the level of rail traffic that is isn't something that gets closed that frequently perhaps once a year at most

tsr

Established Member
These were also emergency works, so even if there may be any local, private alternatives (a quick glance at a map or two doesn't really suggest anything feasible to me), I suggest there may not have been enough time to check & open them.

This is apparently one of the longest diversions in the UK - I'm not surprised. Unfortunately, part of the tradeoff for experiencing the beauty and unspoilt nature of much of Scotland, or working in areas surrounded by swathes of uninhabited countryside, will always be the usually more limited contingency options for when the transport links go a bit wrong!

Rural areas in Southern England also have problems, whilst nowhere near as extreme - a closure of Betchworth Crossing (B2032) can result in an official diversion of over 10 miles, including over Reigate LC (A217), adding considerable pressure on existing queues during peak times. Compared to the issues at Garve, though, that's nothing.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm guessing that had any pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders (likely to be very few in number!) needed to cross during the closure that staff on site would have arranged safe passage?

autotank

There is a footbridge at the station which presumably pedestians and fit cyclists could use to cross the railway.

DXMachina

Probably quicker to leave your car at one side of the level crossing, use the 'right to roam' across country until just out of sight of the staff then cross the railway by trespass and walk to destination.....

marks87

Established Member
That's ridiculous. I wonder if there's a private estate near Garve which could be used as a better diversion to drive through when times necessitate it with a little offering of gratuity from NR or the Highland Council.
There's a private level crossing a few hundred yards back down the road, than I suppose in theory could be used to access a temporary road.

http://goo.gl/maps/1UUVy

But it would probably be too much hassle for too little gain.

jnty

Probably quicker to leave your car at one side of the level crossing, use the 'right to roam' across country until just out of sight of the staff then cross the railway by trespass and walk to destination.....

Or use the footbridge mentioned three posts ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.