• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gated Level Crossings on UK mainlines - any left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themiller

On the Cumbrian Coast line:
Drigg, Bootle, Limestone Hall Crossing, Kirksanton Crossing, Skelly Crag Crossing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Middleton Towers and Littleport still have the gates, the Littleport ones will go in 2019 when all the boxes go between Ely and Kings Lynn

The set at Middleton Towers will never disappear as the owners of the station don't want people walking around the station and the yard, the gate acts as a deterrent besides its not really necessary to go to AHB, also note there was brand new gates installed last year

Last edited:

lincolnshire

Godnow Bridge and Medge Hall between Scunthorpe and Doncaster both have hand worked crossing gates which swing across the railway for the passage of road vehicles. Both require the crossing keeper to come out in all weathers at all times of day, 24hour/7 day operation of railway area.

Also very difficult to get rid of due to closed proximity on canal and drains to the crossings, in fact Godnow Bridge crossing is interlocked with the canal bridge before it can be opened for canal boats.

Green Oak Goit is another crossing between Gilberdyke and Goole with gates hand opened by crossing keeper that open away from the railway for the passage of vehicles.
Also only a 2 shift location so gates left open at night for vehicles to pass through.

High Dyke

Established Member
Whilst most of the Doncaster North crossings are being replaced by OD crossings there is still Grassthorpe crossing, between Newark & Retford, with manned wooden gates - 2 track linespeed 125mph.

On the Midland route between Nottingham & Lincoln there also remains Fiskerton Jct (Morton), Fiskerton Station, Rolleston and Swinderby. All manned wooden gates. Fisko Jct is operated by a 'ships wheel' in the box whilst the rest involve a walk to the gates.

Don't forget Ancaster, Rauceby, Heckington, Hubberts Bridge, Sibsey and Bellwater Jct on the Skegvegas line.

badassunicorn

Is Trinity Marsh Lane one? On the WAML near Cheshunt, its manned thats for sure, and I think if vehicle access is needed then the man opens the gates. Whether they go across the track I don't know, never seen it.

bramling

Veteran Member
Is Trinity Marsh Lane one? On the WAML near Cheshunt, its manned thats for sure, and I think if vehicle access is needed then the man opens the gates. Whether they go across the track I don't know, never seen it.

I believe there are three manned crossing on the LTS line between Purfleet and Grays, although some or all of them seem to be on private land. Not sure if they are gated or have barriers, but they definitely are shown as being manned. Bit mysterious as they're the only manned crossing on the entire LTS system.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

Looking at this it appears the hinges mean the gate swings away from the railway

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I know this isn't manned, but what is the level crossing type at Redcar Central called? It has a motored wheel to roll open or shut. It's quite odd.

Oxmarsh Crossing in New Holland, and another one between Goxhill and Ulceby on the Barton to Cleethorpes line are gated.

Last edited by a moderator:

LowLevel

Established Member
Whilst most of the Doncaster North crossings are being replaced by OD crossings there is still Grassthorpe crossing, between Newark & Retford, with manned wooden gates - 2 track linespeed 125mph.

On the Midland route between Nottingham & Lincoln there also remains Fiskerton Jct (Morton), Fiskerton Station, Rolleston and Swinderby. All manned wooden gates. Fisko Jct is operated by a 'ships wheel' in the box whilst the rest involve a walk to the gates.

Don't forget Ancaster, Rauceby, Heckington, Hubberts Bridge, Sibsey and Bellwater Jct on the Skegvegas line.

Sleaford West is gates as well but I don't know if they're a wheel or motorised.

lincolnshire

I know this isn't manned, but what is the level crossing type at Redcar Central called? It has a motored wheel to roll open or shut. It's quite odd.

Oxmarsh Crossing in New Holland, and another one between Goxhill and Ulceby on the Barton to Cleethorpes line are gated.

Used to be one at Melton Lane on Hull to Gilberdye was changed to barriers a few years ago and also one at Castleford Cutsyke ? not sure if its still in use?

transmanche

Established Member
There's (at least) one in London; on Lincoln Road in Enfield, which crosses the Enfield Town branch.

It used to operate only between 06:00 and 18:00 Monday-Saturday, although I understand it has been 'temporarily' closed since December 2012.

Lincoln Road Level Crossing by Julian Walker, on Flickr

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I think there is (or at least was) one somewhere west of Poole on the SWML, if I remember correctly from a DEW video the crossing keeper has to lock the gates shut to stop motorists opening it when his back is turned

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I think there is (or at least was) one somewhere west of Poole on the SWML, if I remember correctly from a DEW video the crossing keeper has to lock the gates shut to stop motorists opening it when his back is turned

You're thinking of East Stoke. It's been modernised and the gates are gone.

Rich_D3167

Lincolnshire still has several gated crossings. As well as the ones previously mentioned, there's Pyewipe Road in Grimsby (on the Light Railway to Immingham), Roxton Sidings (between Barnetby & Grimsby Town), Bystaple Lane (between Ulceby & Thornton Abbey), Barton Lane (Thornton Abbey), Goxhill, Oxmarsh & Barrow Road (both at New Holland) on the Barton on Humber branch line, Brigg (motorised) & Northorpe on the Brigg line, and Wickenby on the Market Rasen line.

railnerd

Hi.

Sorry if any of these have been mentioned...

North Carr LC (gated crossing with keeper near Haxey on the GN/GE Joint Line)
New Barnetby LC (gated crossing with keeper monitored from Barnetby SB)

SIGGY56

There's one on the Cambrian Coast line at Dyffryn_Ardudwy station.

Must be a nice quiet life for the crossing keeper, especially on Sundays (one train each way).

The crossing at Dyffryn Ardudwy is actually called Llwyn Cadwgan and its the last manned crossing left on the Cambrian supervised by Machynlleth. The crossing keeper's job here is just monitoring the crossing than operating it i.e. just to make sure the crossing users have shut the gates. The crossing has been the scene of many incidents and I think there was also a fatality here.

themiller

I think Billingham has motorised gates at the signal box on Station Road. At least it had last time I was there! Just Google for photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.