• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GatEx 387’s on loan to Great Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
203 is out today on 1T42 15:42 KGX - KLN. 201 was out on Kings Lynn trains yesterday and Wednesday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

St. Paddy

387202 now in service on the GN, 201 and 203 being the others. Anyone know if anymore are expected?

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
All 6 are now on the GN network, 204-206 moved on Monday from Hove Yard via Lovers Walk to Hornsey.
An informed source has indicated elsewhere that these three will soon go off to GWR with three others.

365 Networker

unless the 365s are returning
I think there are some still some stabled at Peterborough Nene sidings and there are also some stored at Hertford North sidings. However, if they are going to return I don't think it would be happening so soon since they were only withdrawn a couple of weeks ago. If they are brought back though I will be very happy!

bramling

Veteran Member
But that means finding something to replace them on GN, unless the 365s are returning?

I don’t think this is too much of an issue whilst there’s still no 12-car working and only three Peterborough peak extras. But it will be an issue in time.

I seem to remember GN requires 35x 387 from September though I forget if this is diagrams or units. That clearly won’t be met if they only have 3x 387/2s by then. So it will have to be one of three things - no uplift in services, more than 3 387s, or 365s back. Time will tell no doubt.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Seem to be coping without them so far, though.
I think they will do until at least September,

I have not seen any evidence at the moment they need 12 car trains.
The following peak services are suspended
London - Baldock
London - Welwyn Garden City (Although that is a 700 route)
London - Peterborough (Full extra's)

I can't see numbers in the peak rising until after the September holidays finish. Let us say that June 21st really happens, I suspect thing will pick up slowly and then we are into the summer holidays.

They were probably only running the 365s to keep drivers competencies upto date. In September they may have a problem depending on how quickly people return to their offices. The problem of course is that once you are short of units you can't get them back quickly. But my gut feeling is they will cope until at least September.

The_Train

Established Member
I've seen a few pics of the 6 ex GatEx units that moved to Great Northern on the move to West Ealing over the last couple of days with suggestions that these units are off on loan to GWR. Anyone able to confirm this?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've seen a few pics of the 6 ex GatEx units that moved to Great Northern on the move to West Ealing over the last couple of days with suggestions that these units are off on loan to GWR. Anyone able to confirm this?
Yes, definitely. There‘s another thread about it happening, with the unit numbers and various RTT moves quoted:

The_Train

Established Member
Yes, definitely. There‘s another thread about it happening, with the unit numbers and various RTT moves quoted:
Had a feeling there would be discussion elsewhere but couldn't find it haha.
Thanks very much for the link :)

Status
Not open for further replies.