• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Airport - Long distance semi flexible tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

I recall TPE had a scheme where you could catch later train if your flight was delayed.

I'd there anything similar for Gatwick.
My daughter and husband flying in to Gatwick early on a midweek morning and need to get up to Chester at a reasonable cost.

Any thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I recall TPE had a scheme where you could catch later train if your flight was delayed.

I'd there anything similar for Gatwick.
My daughter and husband flying in to Gatwick early on a midweek morning and need to get up to Chester at a reasonable cost.

Any thoughts?
No, no such tickets exist for airport stations other than Manchester unfortunately.

Reasonably priced Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets are available to Chester though - both on the quicker route Any Permitted ones (which carry onerous weekday morning and evening restrictions though), and on the slower "via High Wycombe and Shrewsbury" tickets (where the Off-Peak ticket is effectively almost unrestricted and the Super Off-Peak has less onerous restrictions than the Any Permitted Off-Peak).

Alternatively you may find that the most appropriate combination of tickets is something like an Advance on the way there, and an Off-Peak Single (Online) for the return journey (this being a single ticket that, unusually, is priced at half the cost of a return as long as you buy it as part of a return journey).

Try using a website like www.trainsplit.com to have a look at your options.

Veteran Member
The regulated Offpeak fare set by Virgin is - like all West Coast fares - relatively good value for the fastest journey, and either the Offpeak return or an Offpeak single out and the cheapest Advance back (the reverse of ForTheLoveOf's suggestion) would be sensible. If they are happy with the slower journey, then the Super Off Peak mentioned is probably the cheapest.
In either case, the restrictions only apply on the leg north of London, so they can take the first available train at Gatwick.
A Two Together railcard might be worth it, but carries a blanket 0930 restriction IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.