• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Express and Southern...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrykas

Established Member
Afternoon all,

Just to muddy the waters on the Southern/GatEx saga again, today I took in a Rail Travel Voucher issued by Southern and sporting both the GatEx and Southern logos. Good innit?

Cheers,

Barry

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
These two totally separate companies must have agreed to work together on a joint promotion. It doesn't mean that one company called Southern Railway Ltd is the same as another called Southern Railway Ltd.

To suggest otherwise would be crazy and might result in you being sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Don't worry gents, I have the official word from the inside to clear this up (this is genuinely what a GX gateline member of staff told me):

Southern and Gatwick Express ARE the same company, but as GX is faster [all two minutes of it!], that justifies the separate brand and extra six quid you get fleeced of.

:roll:

barrykas

Established Member
Southern and Gatwick Express ARE the same company, but as GX is faster [all two minutes of it!], that justifies the separate brand and extra six quid you get fleeced of.

Except, as we all know from the ASA telling them off, GatEx isn't the fastest way from Gatwick Airport to central London. That goes to First Capital Connect, at 28 minutes to London Bridge.

Cheers,

Barry

b0b

Established Member
That goes to First Capital Connect, at 28 minutes to London Bridge.

London Bridge is not London, signed, Gatwick Express.
London Bridge is not London, signed, Southern.

paul1609

Established Member
Except, as we all know from the ASA telling them off, GatEx isn't the fastest way from Gatwick Airport to central London. That goes to First Capital Connect, at 28 minutes to London Bridge.

Cheers,

Barry

In all fairness to Southern / gat ex the FCC time doesnt include the standard 5 minute waiting time outside London Bridge (or the late arrival there) fortunately theres loads of padding through central london to be back on time at St Pancras. Also London Bridge is hardly central London its Southwark and I doubt many foreign tourists will be staying at hotels in that locality.

34D

Established Member
In all fairness to Southern / gat ex the FCC time doesnt include the standard 5 minute waiting time outside London Bridge (or the late arrival there) fortunately theres loads of padding through central london to be back on time at St Pancras. Also London Bridge is hardly central London its Southwark and I doubt many foreign tourists will be staying at hotels in that locality.

Its all relative. Personally I find Victoria and paddington a little too inconvenient. They're both West London in my eyes.

calc7

Established Member
Its all relative. Personally I find Victoria and paddington a little too inconvenient. They're both West London in my eyes.

Agreed on Paddington, and Victoria is certainly no more convenient than London Bridge.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe it's actually Southern and S0u7h3rn?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.