• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Express Info Pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmt4ever

Hi

Going to Gatwick with 3 friends to fly out on holiday next Tuesday. Flight is at 1315 but we wanna get to the airport about 1015hrs ish to go in the lounge and have a few drinks first (even though the BA Business lounge is closed and we have to use a inferior one :( )

With that in mind I was going to go for say the 0945 train, which means us meeting at 0900 to give plenty of time to get to Vic and to the GatEx platform.

But I see some trains are still being cancelled. Ideally we would like one of the trains that doesn't carry on to Brighton as in my experience these are busier.

About that time of day can anyone advise what services are likely to be running next week?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrB

Does it have to be a GatEx service? Normal southern services are cheaper and not much slower, also there's thameslink services if you're coming from central London or maybe from London Bridge (not sure on the last though).

rmt4ever

Does it have to be a GatEx service? Normal southern services are cheaper and not much slower, also there's thameslink services if you're coming from central London or maybe from London Bridge (not sure on the last though).

Yes already got Gat Ex tickets. Prefer the non stop premium service. And not that much more expensive. Cost about £50 for 4 singles (returning into LHR, thankfully!!)

causton

Established Member
Yes already got Gat Ex tickets. Prefer the non stop premium service. And not that much more expensive.

Watch as people try and claim that it is not premium, that you shouldn't have bought tickets for it etc :lol:

At that time you should be fine. Unless an incident happens, the last few days GX has been fine around that time of day, one might be cancelled but you would be unlucky to have more than one!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes already got Gat Ex tickets. Prefer the non stop premium service. And not that much more expensive. Cost about £50 for 4 singles (returning into LHR, thankfully!!)

I'd hardly call Govia Thameslink Railway's Gatwick Express branded service 'premium' these days. It often has the worst punctuality and reliability in the country.

It is timetabled to take 30 minutes at that time of day compared to GTR's Southern branded services which take between 31 and 36 minutes and are not subject to the premium fare.

From London Bridge you could take GTR's Thameslink branded service taking 29 minutes for £27.20 for the 4 of you.

Established Member
I'd hardly call Govia Thameslink Railway's Gatwick Express branded service 'premium' these days. It often has the worst punctuality and reliability in the country.

It is timetabled to take 30 minutes at that time of day compared to GTR's Southern branded services which take between 31 and 36 minutes and are not subject to the premium fare.

From London Bridge you could take GTR's Thameslink branded service taking 29 minutes for £27.20 for the 4 of you.
The ONLY premium appears to be that it is a dedicated non stop link between Gatwick and London only-few commuters would (theoretically) be using it and it should therefore have plenty of luggage space.

I say that despite having never used it though. Do the GatEx branded 387s have the same interior as other 387s? Now (every other train?) continues to Brighton, the only possible justification I could see has been removed!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hophead

Established Member
Tuesday is a strike day! Gatwick Express should run relatively close to the timetable, I believe, but do check. In any case, the trains that do run are likely to be busy. Good job you've already allowed plenty of time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The fare is £8 on Oyster/Contactless, as GTR cover up the "premium" readers during strike days.

Unless they change the timetable, the 0945 should terminate at Gatwick.

They might put extra coaches on those trains that do run so they may all be 12 cars if you're lucky.

Most tourists pile into the rear few coaches; you can normally get a coach to yourself if you walk to the front of the train and if it's a full complement of 12 coaches.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The ONLY premium appears to be that it is a dedicated non stop link between Gatwick and London only-few commuters would (theoretically) be using it and it should therefore have plenty of luggage space.

I say that despite having never used it though. Do the GatEx branded 387s have the same interior as other 387s? Now (every other train?) continues to Brighton, the only possible justification I could see has been removed.

The GX branded 387 have ironing board seats hardly worthy of an express service. Commuters certainly do use GX branded services - they certainly don't cart fresh air around although you'd be against the flow at that time of the morning.

Tuesday is a strike day! Gatwick Express should run relatively close to the timetable, I believe, but do check. In any case, the trains that do run are likely to be busy. Good job you've already allowed plenty of time.

A good point and possibly a good reason to consider Thameslink branded services too.

rmt4ever

The fare is £8 on Oyster/Contactless, as GTR cover up the "premium" readers during strike days.

Unless they change the timetable, the 0945 should terminate at Gatwick.

They might put extra coaches on those trains that do run so they may all be 12 cars if you're lucky.

Most tourists pile into the rear few coaches; you can normally get a coach to yourself if you walk to the front of the train and if it's a full complement of 12 coaches.

I always walk to the front. Have often had a whole coach of an 8 or 12 coach train to myself! This in itself makes it worth using GatEx, particularly if the fare is not much different to stopping services (like next week).

Will aim for the 0945 and keep fingers crossed. One of our travellers is visually impaired and he wanted to take a cab, I persuaded him and the rest of the group to put their faith in the District Line and GatEx for the trip.... hope I am not let down and made to look an idiot !

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.