• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Express not applying Railcard discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was messing around on the Gatwick Express website (not actually planning on booking anything of course ;)) and I put in a return journey (outward on a Saturday and return on a Sunday) and asked it to include a Railcard discount but it does not appear to be applying it!

By my reckoning the Anytime Return with a railcard discount should be £23.05 but the Gatwick Express website is trying to sell me an Anytime Return at £31.10 (they offer a small online discount it seems).

I've tried the VTEC website instead and that will happily sell me an Anytime Return for £23.05 on exactly the same trains as the Gatwick Express website is trying to get me to pay £31.10!

Am I missing something here or is there a problem with the website?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It works for me: adds the railcard then applies a 10% online saving to the railcard-discounted fare.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the GatEx website one of the stupid ones where you have to both select the type of Railcard and then add one as a separate click?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Which Railcard? If you've selected Network, then you get no discount

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which Railcard? If you've selected Network, then you get no discount

You should be doing - NSE cards have been accepted on GatEx since it became part of Southern. Wonder if some twit implementing it forgot that.

Edit: the website seems to suggest it is deliberate - Network Railcard discount not available when booked via GTR's GatEx site, but presumably is when booked via GTR's Southern site.

Oh dear.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
16-25 Railcard not Network. Well I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but it steadfastly refuses to work for me!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Edit: the website seems to suggest it is deliberate - Network Railcard discount not available when booked via GTR's GatEx site, but presumably is when booked via GTR's Southern site.

Oh dear.

I can get the website to offer a Network Railcard discount.

ETA: It won't accept a 16-25 Railcard though!

Attachments

• gatex.jpg
    gatex.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The GX restriction on Network Railcards was removed some time ago.

Also why on earth does that site think there's a break of journey restriction on an Anytime Return!?

Last edited:

talldave

Established Member
Being GatEx, there won't be a quick fix for this. Those guys are so incompetent they don't even know which of their services off peak tickets are valid on. Errors with website programming take them months to fix, even if you supply them the fixed code for free.

I'd urge travellers to avoid crap sites like GatEx and take their business elsewhere. I use Hull Trains and it's fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.