• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Express service cancelled due to "safety device being operated"? (29/04/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
Yesterday afternoon, while I was at London Victoria, I saw that the 1D92 15:15 Gatwick Express service had been cancelled. When I first heard the announcement, it said the service had been cancelled due to an operating incident, but when I saw the board and heard a non automated announcement, they said "This service has been cancelled due to a safety device being operated on board this train"

This is the first time I've heard of a safety device activation causing a train to be cancelled in the 16 years that I have been using the railway. What safety device on a Class 387 being activated can even cause the train to be cancelled?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
RTT has "This service was cancelled throughout due to an issue with the train crew." - so TPWS activation meaning the driver was relieved of duty for investigation, perhaps?

Class455

Established Member
RTT has "This service was cancelled throughout due to an issue with the train crew." - so TPWS activation meaning the driver was relieved of duty for investigation, perhaps?

Surely they could have sourced a standby driver if that was the case. The announcement at Victoria Station said it was the safety device which caused the train to be cancelled. There were also no GX Class 387's present at the time to even work the service, so not sure about that

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Could have been a passenger emergency handle pulled down and was either unable to be reset or the incident took a while to deal with and delayed the train long enough for it to be not worth running.

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
assuming it was a TWPS activation there could be doubt about whether it was driver error or a train fault.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yesterday afternoon, while I was at London Victoria, I saw that the 1D92 15:15 Gatwick Express service had been cancelled. When I first heard the announcement, it said the service had been cancelled due to an operating incident, but when I saw the board and heard a non automated announcement, they said "This service has been cancelled due to a safety device being operated on board this train"
No loss; the company runs a train 5 minutes later with the same journey time.
Unlikely; the issue appears to have occurred at Gatwick but the inbound service did run and didn't get further delayed en route. (By the way, not everyone knows what "RTT" means)
Surely they could have sourced a standby driver if that was the case. The announcement at Victoria Station said it was the safety device which caused the train to be cancelled. There were also no GX Class 387's present at the time to even work the service, so not sure about that
GTR barely have enough drivers to cover the service, let alone have spares.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Would it be standard procedure for a driver (of any TOC or FOC) to be relieved of duty after a TPWS activation or does it depend on the circumstances?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
It could have been an override that was operated due to a fault, so you could be looking at any of : TPWS, AWS, VIGILANCE, Horns, DSD.

JN114

Established Member
Of course; "operational incident" would have covered it quite succinctly, without the alarm and bother this apparently has. But hey ho, apparently the railways have to be "open" and "transparent" at whatever cost nowadays.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Of course; "operational incident" would have covered it quite succinctly, without the alarm and bother this apparently has. But hey ho, apparently the railways have to be "open" and "transparent" at whatever cost nowadays.

But for "operational incident" we would all be entitled to assume the driver was at fault, see previous threads. "Safety device being activated" suggests that if there is blame it may lie elsewhere.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
If it was a fault, depending on the circumstance in which it occurred the driver might not feel fit to continue driving on the day even.

philthetube

Established Member
But for "operational incident" we would all be entitled to assume the driver was at fault, see previous threads. "Safety device being activated" suggests that if there is blame it may lie elsewhere.

We are all entitled to think the incident was the driver knocking over his camping stove while making bacon sandwiches, consequently setting fire to his trousers, this would not make us right.

It sounds as if you have used your entitlement and are then complaining because you got it wrong.

Loop & Link

Would it be standard procedure for a driver (of any TOC or FOC) to be relieved of duty after a TPWS activation or does it depend on the circumstances?

Circumstances, and if driver is on the Driver Development Plan or not. Driver may not be fit to continue after own self-assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.