• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Flyaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzug2

Can anyone tell me if these tickets can be used Reading - Clapham Junction - Gatwick (ie route 'not London') or only direct (ie via Gomshall)?

All the publicity I've seen suggests 'not London' but I can't actually print out an itinerary as backup as they are not sold online

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FenMan

Established Member
Can anyone tell me if these tickets can be used Reading - Clapham Junction - Gatwick (ie route 'not London') or only direct (ie via Gomshall)?

All the publicity I've seen suggests 'not London' but I can't actually print out an itinerary as backup as they are not sold online

These tickets are route VIA GOMSHALL.

sonic2009

Established Member
Not all flows are route via Gomshall.

For example Gatwick Flyaway Worcester - Gatwick is route Evesham

dzug2

Thanks for the responses.

Having discovered the BR fares website it says not London for the trip I want

and for other flows - eg Bristol Temple Meads, Cheltenham, Cardiff it's Guildford Reading. Pershore as far as Oxford and Didcot it's not London

Not done an exhaustive search but can't find a specific GOMSHALL one

And the ticket itself says NOT LONDON

I suppose the question comes to be do I risk it to save 20 minutes?

Interesting that the fare from Cotswold Line stations is cheaper (£50) than from Oxford, Didcot, etc (£60)

Last edited:

OwlMan

Established Member
The Gatwick Flyaway is only valid via the North Downs line and is available in three versions - for 2, 3 or 4 persons (all at the same price), you must have your airport tickets (or proof of travel) with you when buying the tickets. Upto 4 children can travel at £1 each.

The Manual
First Great Western offers a "Gatwick Flyaway" ticket, which enables 2, 3 or 4 adults travelling together to travel to and from Gatwick Airport at a special flat rate price.
Additionally, up to 4 accompanied children can travel for the flat fare of £1 each.
Ticket validity: outward travel on the date printed on the ticket, return portion valid for 1 month, travel at any time.
Break of journey rules and refund conditions are as per Anytime tickets.
Railcard discounts are not available. Proof of airline travel must be shown when purchasing tickets.
The tickets are available on many FGW flows to Gatwick Airport with the following ticket types:
G2F for 2 adults
G3F for 3 adults
G4F for 4 adults
GF1 for the child flat fare. One ticket must be issued for each accompanying child.
Tickets are only available from the origin to Gatwick Airport (not available with Gatwick as the origin. They are only valid via the North Downs route (Reading – Guildford – Redhill – Gatwick Airport) and must not be issued for travel via London.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
NRCoC 13d clearly states that any restrictions to the route you may take on your journey will be shown on the ticket. The ticket from Worcester Stations to Gatwick Airport is routed VIA EVESHAM and therefore is perfectly valid for use into Paddington and thereafter from Victoria or London Bridge (although using it on the underground is probably not going to happen), or via Ascot and Clapham Junction, or any other valid route. Conditions appearing in a non-public document and not printed on the ticket or advised to the customer are not binding on the customer.

OwlMan

Established Member
NRCoC 13d clearly states that any restrictions to the route you may take on your journey will be shown on the ticket. The ticket from Worcester Stations to Gatwick Airport is routed VIA EVESHAM and therefore is perfectly valid for use into Paddington and thereafter from Victoria or London Bridge (although using it on the underground is probably not going to happen), or via Ascot and Clapham Junction, or any other valid route. Conditions appearing in a non-public document and not printed on the ticket or advised to the customer are not binding on the customer.

That depends on what First Great Western have published in their notices and other publications (e.g. publicity leaflet) under condition 1c.

Last edited:

jkdd77

It raises a question about whether 'additional conditions' contained in 'notices and other publications' can override conflicting Conditions in the NRCoC.

My (unqualified) opinion is that, in the case of irreconcilable conflict, the NRCoC would prevail.

dzug2

That depends on what First Great Western have published in their notices and other publications (e.g. publicity leaflet) under condition 1c.

Such publicity that I have seen just says not via London - leaflets, offers page on the National Rail site

The Worcester routing via Evesham is presumably intended to bar travel via Cheltenham or Birmingham

The Reading Guildford routing is for stations recently (well comparatively) introduced by FGW to the offer, which I think goes back to Thames Trains days

And many years back I used it on a Cross Country service that went via Kenny O

island

Veteran Member

Such onerous terms would need to be specifically brought to the customer's attention, as I understand matters. Having a leaflet on a rack would not meet this requirement in my personal opinion.

OwlMan

Established Member
Such onerous terms would need to be specifically brought to the customer's attention, as I understand matters. Having a leaflet on a rack would not meet this requirement in my personal opinion.

I imagine that the majority of people, including the OP, who buy this ticket have found out about it through a leaflet (which AIU says that the ticket is not valid via London), as it does not appear to be publicised on FGW's website. Most of these will go to the ticket office with the leaflet to buy the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.