• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick To Lancing Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkofilee

Hi Guys

Posting here because Southern CS seem to be a bit clueless...

Right - I have a Season Ticket from Gatwick Airport - Lancing. Naturally I can go via Brighton as a change. However - Can someone please confirm other routes I can use...

More specifically - I was able to get through the barriers at Crawley with it and had to go to Horsham to Renew it which also let me through.

Does that mean I can use the Arun Valley and either change at Barnham / Littlehampton to get to my destination?

Also can I go via Lewes? Im just thinking it could make for a very interesting day out of places to visit :)

By the way - It has a . for the Route Permitted - Seems to be a thing for GTR these days...

FKO

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
The route via Preston Park and Hove, avoiding Brighton, is fine. The route via Preston Park and Brighton is fine if you are just changing at Brighton: others can perhaps better advise whether the ticket is valid to enter or exit at Brighton. The route via Lewes is fine and, as all westbound trains from Lewes call at Brighton, the question about exit/entry at Brighton on journeys via Preston Park may be academic. The route via Ford/Horsham is not permitted. The mapped routes given by the routeing guide for Gatwick-Lancing journeys have to go via Brighton Group (which includes Hove) and have to be capable of being traced on map LB.

fkofilee

I can exit at Brighton and enter... Tested this when i wanted food...
So in that case, why does my ticket let me out at Horsham? It shouldnt be valid technically?

fkofilee

Understandably - Lewes is the other way :) But weirdly enough... I checked the fare routing

If my ticket was from Crawley to Lancing - I can go either route...
If it is from Gatwick to Lancing - It seems to restrict the groups.
However - If i start my journey at Crawley... Then what?... Thats technically my home station...
Also as well bare in mind - Its a season ticket... Far more then a single / day return...

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 22

fkofilee

Then you check out TBD...

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 42

OwlMan

Established Member
A Gatwick to Ford (or Littlehampton) season ticket is the same price as a Gatwick to Lancing ticket and is valid via both Horsham and Brighton. It is therefore valid to Lancing (as an intermediate station) via Horsham and Ford.

fkofilee

Thats my chain of thinking... Its like travelling to Portsmouth from Gatwick Like i quite often do... I can go either via Brighton Or Horsham...

fkofilee

Apparently Barnham counts as part of the Ford Group too... Every Southern Train seems to stop there ^_^
Better than changing at Ford :)

OwlMan

Established Member
Understandably - Lewes is the other way :) But weirdly enough... I checked the fare routing

If my ticket was from Crawley to Lancing - I can go either route...
If it is from Gatwick to Lancing - It seems to restrict the groups.
However - If i start my journey at Crawley... Then what?... Thats technically my home station...
Also as well bare in mind - Its a season ticket... Far more then a single / day return...

It does not matter from where you start - the permitted routes are determined by the Origin and Destination on the ticket.

OwlMan

Established Member
Apparently Barnham counts as part of the Ford Group too... Every Southern Train seems to stop there ^_^
Better than changing at Ford :)

But a Barnham ticket is more expensive than a Ford ticket.
Barnham is not part of the Ford Routeing group only Littlehampton & Ford are members; one of Barnham's associated routeing points is Ford.

fkofilee

A Gatwick to Ford (or Littlehampton) season ticket is the same price as a Gatwick to Lancing ticket and is valid via both Horsham and Brighton. It is therefore valid to Lancing (as an intermediate station) via Horsham and Ford.
It does not matter from where you start - the permitted routes are determined by the Origin and Destination on the ticket.

So the Routing Calculator says from Gatwick that I cannot go via HRH and FRD. But you say I can... (Via Intermediate Station) - Just want to triple check :)

But a Barnham ticket is more expensive than a Ford ticket

My bad just triple checked and its not a valid station of the FRD Group - Thats just Ford and Littlehampton.

OwlMan

Established Member
So the Routing Calculator says from Gatwick that I cannot go via HRH and FRD. But you say I can... (Via Intermediate Station) - Just want to triple check :)
A Gatwick to Lancing ticket is NOT valid via Horsham only via Brighton/Hove
A Gatwick to Ford (or Littlehampton) season ticket is valid via both Horsham and Brighton/Hove.
A Gatwick to Ford ticket is valid for travel to Lancing via any permitted route (therefore either via Horsham & Ford or via Brighton/Hove as Lancing is an intermediate station on one of the permitted routes.

fkofilee

A Gatwick to Lancing ticket is NOT valid via Horsham only via Brighton/Hove
A Gatwick to Ford (or Littlehampton) season ticket is valid via both Horsham and Brighton/Hove.
A Gatwick to Ford ticket is valid for travel to Lancing via any permitted route (therefore either via Horsham & Ford or via Brighton/Hove as Lancing is an intermediate station on one of the permitted routes.

Wow - Even though its the same cost?
Thank you for your help :)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Wow - Even though its the same cost?
Thank you for your help :)
The only time the cost of a ticket has a bearing on its validity is when calculating appropriate Routeing Points. Even then, season ticket prices aren't used, but instead, singles from 1996's fares round.

If your season ticket was originally valid for a month or more, and it still has at least a week of validity remaining, you can do a season ticket changeover to a different route at, in theory, any ticket office (in practice ticket offices will often refuse if you didn't buy the season from their TOC originally). There is no admin fee for this, and you pay only the pro-rata difference. In the case of a different route that costs the same, no money need change hands.

fkofilee

Hi Guys

Just an update - Decided to revisit this as I was trying to understand the route maps etc
Ive seen the Ford Group has some quite interesting permitted routes stretching to Brockenhurst (I know my ticket wouldn't be valid past Ford but it does make me chuckle :))

Thanks once again - Im off to get my season ticket changed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.