• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick trip: haulage on 387s and the Gatwick monorail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris217

Had 4 more GatEx 387s for haulage yesterday
Unfortunately all diagrams were pairs rather than triples.
Also noted 387105 with GatEx branding.

Has anyone done the Gatwick monorail cars.?
Keep meaning to do these one day.
Are they numbered as pictures I've seen depict no identities

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
If you mean the shuttles between north and south terminals, IIRC they are rubber tyred triple units running on concrete beams, rather than monorails. They are cable hauled, each set shuttling to and fro along its own track.
I'm not sure there would be any need to number them.

Chris217

Ah! Right oh DelW. Thanks for that.
There are 6 cars I believe so maybe 2 sets of 3 cars if both are operating.
If not,then no presumable way of knowing which cars are which unless they have internal car numbers.
The spotters books have them numbered as 01-06.

DelW

Established Member
Yes, there are 2 sets of three. I've only ever seen both sets in use, I assume they're both linked to the same loop of cable. Possibly one set could be disconnected for maintenance, unless that can all be done when the airport is closed.
I've never seen any numbers, but then I've never looked for them. It wouldn't take long to do all six cars if you really wanted to .

Status
Not open for further replies.