• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gave wrong address

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomnewcombe99

Hi, Could someone tell me who I need to speak to, to rectify a wrong address I gave a fare officer.

I won't bore you with the details of why I received the fine, but he said I will receive a letter. Having just moved house I got thehouse number mixed up - genuine mistake and want to make sure the letter comes through, who do I ring??

Also what letter will it be, will I have to go to court? Pay a large fine based on an appeal??

What's the usual outcome of this?

Appreciate the feedback

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Welcome to the forum.

Were you given the 'fine' on a train or at a station? If a train, which stations were you travelling between? If a station, which station was it, or if you'd rather not say, what part of the country?

Monty

Established Member
Hi, Could someone tell me who I need to speak to, to rectify a wrong address I gave a fare officer.

I won't bore you with the details of why I received the fine, but he said I will receive a letter. Having just moved house I got thehouse number mixed up - genuine mistake and want to make sure the letter comes through, who do I ring??

Also what letter will it be, will I have to go to court? Pay a large fine based on an appeal??

Appreciate the feedback

Thanks

You'll need to contact the relevent train operating company's customer services, and ask for contact details of prosecutions department. You will then need to explain to prosecutions why you gave incorrect details. If it is something as simple as a house number it may be fine, however if you have given a completely incorrect address to the RPI you could be in for some trouble as it's an offence to give false details. I would like to hope it's the former and not the latter in this case.

As for the incident itself I couldn't comment as I know nothing of what has transpired. I will assume though you have been caught without a valid ticket for your rail journey and have either been reported under Byelaw 18 or S5 3a of the RoRA 1889. If you wish further assistance you are going to have to elaborate on the details of the incident in question.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How long ago was the incident?

If you gave the wrong house number, when did you realise that?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ouch... they may well decide to prosecute. There are two possible offences they could use, either a Byelaw 18 offence (which is not recordable but does not require intent to be proven) or a Regulation of Railways Act 1889 offence (which is recordable so will appear on CRB checks but does require intent to be proven).
If you want to ring them, call the Prosecutions Department for the Train Operating Company (TOC) in question.

However, a fine is by no means certain...
Also what letter will it be,
They will probably ask you for your version of events, then they will look at all the evidence and decide whether to prosecute, and if so which offence to prosecute you for.
will I have to go to court?
Not necessarily. An out of court settlement may well be possible to negotiate, especially if it's a first offence.

Even if it does go to court, you need not actually attend Court.
Pay a large fine based on an appeal??
If you are found guilty, the fine could be large, though the level of fine depends on the offence they use and whether or not you plead guilty. For example if you plead guilty and they use the Byelaw 18 offence, the fine will be much lower than if you are found guilty of a RoR 18 offence.
There are so many variables, it is difficult to say. Some TOCs are much more willing to settle out of court than others. Some TOCs never seem to use Byelaw 18 offences while others tend to use that as a matter of course.

However what I can say is that, of all the people who have offered an out of court settlement, the majority who have informed me of the outcome have had the settlement accepted. Some chose to make the outcome public, doing a search will find such examples. But each scenario is different, and we know nothing of your case!

Ideally you should consult a solicitor who can advise on whether you are best off fighting the case, or offering an out of court settlement.

A good solicitor can get someone out of a situation of giving a false address under certain circumstances, for example the infamous Northern 10p Burley Park/Headingley prosecution. But not many people would have a good reason such as just moving house. As we know nothing of your situation it is impossible to advise what your best course of action is (and it may not be wise for you to reveal too much on here!)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You will need to be sure that you know which Railway Company the inspector worked for. Hopefully you know that much or can work it out.
Then you write to the Revenue & Prosecutions Manager of that Company (and some will make the address of their Revenue & Prosecutions more available than others).
Then you need to identify your case. Perhaps you were issued with a document with a Serial Number and (probably) not. If not, use the place, date and time of the incident as well as your name to identify yourself.

We get a few people on here who have given the wrong address, or wrong station, or wrong age. But I will believe you. I just mention this to help make sure you can appreciate the perspective of the person receiving your letter. Please realise that Revenue & Prosecutions units receive many more 'stories' than we do on here, and the proportion of mistaken addresses, stations and ages reported to them is quite unlike normal human experience. Its apparently endemic in Railway Revenue. So they will form their own opinion, from their own perspective in which most passengers contacting them have mistaken their address, station or age. Failing to give (the correct) name and address is an Offence under Railway Byelaw 23 and (depending on the details with which you don't want to bore us) is potentially a more serious Offence under the Regulation of Railways Act Section 5.3

Was there anything else you got wrong that day?

Last edited:

tomnewcombe99

Hi thanks for the advice so far. It was last night (24th) and I gave the wrong number by 1 so i'm 190 and I gave 191. Unfortunately that number is in a block of flats across the road!
I phoned them up and the automated message is saying i must write in....it's first capital connect trains.

The crux of the story is I had problems with my oyster card in the morning meaning I was left with a negative balance (there fault I've just got that refunded), it was early so no-one was there. When I got to my destination the guard let me through and said sort it out when you get back. So that evening after work I did that (gates were open as it was late) and then the guard on the train asked for my ticket.....I offered to pay the £1.90 which is how little it costs between the 2 stations but he wasn't having any of that. In my stubbornness and frustration I refused to pay.

After sleeping on it I realise I was in the wrong and want to pay the fine now and get it sorted. If i write to them will they let this happen? What usually happens at this point?

Cheers!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I offered to pay the £1.90 which is how little it costs between the 2 stations but he wasn't having any of that. In my stubbornness and frustration I refused to pay.
Without knowing more details about the journey, it is difficult to comment, other than if £1.90 is the Oyster fare then the cash fare would be higher than that and you cannot pay an Oyster fare in cash if that is what you were trying to do.
After sleeping on it I realise I was in the wrong and want to pay the fine now and get it sorted. If i write to them will they let this happen? What usually happens at this point?
I think there is some confusion here... I think you are actually wanting to pay the fare? But as you refused to pay the fare at the time they are now considering prosecution, is that right? If so, a fine can only be imposed by the courts if you are found, or plead, guilty (see my earlier post).

However you may be able to negotiate an Out of Court Settlement with the Train Company concerned (again I refer you to my earlier post).

telstarbox

Established Member
Unfortunately for you, First Capital Connect are probably the strictest TOC when it comes to prosecution/fare evasion (which is how they will see it).

Do you have any evidence that you recently moved into your flat (eg signed/dated tenancy agreement?) If so, you wouldn't have anything to lose by enclosing a copy if writing to FCC with an offer of paymen

Others on this forum should be happy to proof-read any letters you may wish to send and I strongly suggest that you do this before sending anything to FCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.