• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

gazr's micro gricing reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazr

Kent Rover

Day 1: Sunday.
A early start to see if any interesting moves out of Waterloo before the main course. It did not start well when the first train was booked over the District line to Putney, but went via Staff Halt instead...still need that connection from Wimbledon (5) to District Line!! After a few station hops between Waterloo and C.J., only manged to get US to UF @ C.J. l/e. Also visited Queenstown Road for the first time ever (literally running across the platform onto another train) after passing it what seems like over a 1000 times!!!

A tube to Victotia from Vauxhall, and it was Kent bound to Canterbury West. Engineering work in Kent had some crossovers on offer, so day 1 was all about getting them. Now, Google maps gave it just over a mile from West to East... I call BS on that :) It's a good slog if you go via the high street. Mind you, I made it hard on myself by not being able to resist Starbucks!! I made it to Canterbury East with the train in the station and the doors closed... Luckily, the guard still had his door open and let me on!!!

Down to Shepherd's Well to get the crossover going back. A rediculous wait of 40 here to allow bus connections, but it's not the worst place to be festering for. Back to Canterbury East to get the crossover here, which is only available on Sunday services. Canterbury East on to Sittingbourne to catch the train to Deal. Yep, another crossover :) By now, it's about 2 pm. I know there is one more Sunday move I wanted to try and get; Canterbury Line to Ashford (1) to Maidstone Line. Deal to Ramsgate; Ramsgate to Canterbury West (on my first Javelins :)); Canterbury West to Wye... Now this is a nice place. Seriously. The station has a gatekeeper!! The gates are closed so early, there is a sign instructing motorists to turn their engines off :) There's a large country pub a stones throw up the road. As the Americans would say, it was VERY quaint. As there was only a 20 minute wait, I skipped getting a pint and watched the numerous bunnies jumping around in the field behind the station...sad, I know.

Wye to Swanley via the aforementioned platform 1 @ Ashford and it was time to head back to London for the night as I was pretty knackered.

Units: 5847, 458519+458504, 5733+5710, 5717+5855, 458503+458513, 458521+458529, 375825, 375821, 465904, 375901+375821, 395004+395019, 375625+375903, 375801, 466020+465915, 378153, 5851+5703.

Again, I would be a little more descriptive if I had a proper keyboard... day 2 and 3 another time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I know the pain typing on a tablet's keyboard, it's not easy. Even though the buttons are much smaller on my phone's keyboard, I find it far easier to type on that!

Can't be sure about bit from the Wye direction (it is indeed a nice little station, been there myself), but all of the rest of platform 1 is dud for me. Also had a 66 through it...Come to think of it, I don't think there's very much micro-gricing I need at Ashford International!

A decent first day on the Kent Rover, I look forward to Days 2 and 3 when they're ready!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great time on your first day! Wye sounds like a station I wouldn't mind to scratch too.

gazr

Day 2: Monday

My only plan was that I would probably spend the night in Kent, and to buy a off peak return to Ashford via any permitted route to get the section from Ebbsfleet to Ashford.

So off to St. Pancras and more lovely Javelin action. Making the most use of the ticket, I changed at Stratford and Ebbsfleet on the way down, finally settling on Folkstone Central as my destination. Again not having any real plan, I caught the same unit back to Ashford. Back at Ashford (5), there is another Javelin in (6) and without thinking, run across the platform and realize it's going to Folkstone again... oh well :) Now my brain kicks in and I think about PSULs I can do in Kent. I remember there being a move around Minster, and sure enough, 20+ years on, it's still going. The invaluable website mentioned that trains were altered because if sea wall damage and this worked in my favor.

Folkstone West was soon reached and time for a bus ride. Now I'm not usually keen on bustitutions but this one was fun. Using an old D type bus from London of old (sorry, not that up on buses, but remember those), getting up a bloody great hill outside Folkstone was fun. We arrived at Dover Priory bang on schedule. Still had time before the PSUL (which was stored in P2) so I picked Walmer for a shack scratch, going out of P1 @ Dover and getting the l/e crossover. Back in Dover in plenty of time for the Dover-Ramsgate via Minster.

Now, this was a fun ride. At Deal, about 20 school kids got in my carriage (opposite end to where the guard was). Two kids where on lookout, and when they saw the guard head towards them, kids were diving under tables and formulating plans to stall him. What was amusing was the guard was just putting the fear in them, and had no intention of dealing with that many fare dodgers!!! Shouldn't laugh... The amount of fare dodgers on Southern is a joke. Inspectors don't impose fines, but just issue a ticket when asked; especially if it's a male inspector dealing with a female passenger. Sorry, but there is definite sexism when it comes to fare dodging. Of course, the train empties at Minster.

On to Ramsgate and then around to Gillingham; as it happens I was just in the right area for another PSUL :) Gillingham to Rainham followed by Rainham to Sheerness-on-Sea. Only been here once before on the "End of an Era" Railtour and remember it being somewhat of a dump...It still is :( The freight lines to Steel place we're nearly under water, and was not far off from affecting the running lines. In on the lesser used P2 whilst a Sittingbourne train sat in P1. A quick photo and back to Sittingbourne on a 466.

At Sittingbourne, it's now getting late and I don't have a room for the night, so I catch a London bound train and look on laterooms. I remember Ashford being somewhat cheap, and as luck would have it, I found a place for £35. Got off at Rochester and booked a room whilst waiting for a train to Ebbsfleet. And yes, I bunked the fare from Gravesend to Ebbsfleet, and the gates wouldn't let me through with my Ashford ticket from earlier, but staff did. Guess that makes me a hypocrite complaining about dodgers ??????

Ebbsfleet to Ashford and off to find my hotel. Up the hill to the High Street and I find a Spoons. Quick check on the Internet whilst drinking a cappuccino and realize I'm 200 yards away up the street... good location!! Mickey Ds in between too for breakfast. End of Day 2!!

Units: 395011, 395015, 395013, 395017, 375305, 375306, 375820, 395006, 465924, 466027, 375829+375713, 395003, 395008.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on a couple PSUL movements :)

*makes a note that the Minister Curve PSUL still happens, useful to note when I finally get around to visiting shacks in that part of the network*

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A good little day there, nicely productive for track. Platform 2 is required at Sheerness, but I have no intention of going to that dump of a town in order to scratch it!

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good little day there, nicely productive for track. Platform 2 is required at Sheerness, but I have no intention of going to that dump of a town in order to scratch it!

I will probably have the pleasure of visiting platform 2 next month on a 395 :lol:

Kristofferson

Right, makes sense! I was thinking there may be a regular service...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gazr

Day 3:

A nice early start from Ashford saw me at McDonald's at 6:30 am. I had noted the night before the place opened at 6. So, there I was and the place was empty. After waiting 10 minutes for my food, I got the apology that I was the first customer and they had to make it from scratch!!

My aim today was Maidstone bay platform 3...not an amazing aim considering I could go pretty much anywhere in Kent. First move was from Ashford (2) onto the Maidstone line, and a shack scratch of East Malling. Having a +20, I walked down the hill to the village and found a pub but no newsagent or cafe. Back up the hill it was for the train to Maidstone. Having researched, the morning train very rarely uses the bay, but uses the DM to UM to terminate in P1... which is what it did today. No worries. P2 for a train back to Ashford (1).

Ashford to Margate on some lovely Javelins to score the bay platform 4. A station hop from Margate to Broadstairs and then back to Westgste-on-Sea. Westgate to Margate before going back to Strood on yet another Javelin.

Strood was visited to revisit Maidstone (West this time) and score the crossovers at both Stood and Maidstone West. Straight back to Strood and then up to Gravesend before station hoping to Rochester, Chatham, and then into Gillingham P1. Gillingham to Rainham and then Rainham to Dover Priory to get the section of track between Shepherds Well and Dover I did not complete the other day, and also the other crossover at Dover l/e into P3.

Dover back to Canterbury East for a walk back across town. What a mistake this was!! I had 20 minutes, and I thought to myself this time, I know where I am going and no Starbucks. What I didn't take into consideration is the other day was Sunday and hardly anyone around whereas today was Tuesday right after schools/university finished and the High St. was packed!! Not being one for running, I picked up my walking pace and made it onto the train at Canterbury East (where the train originates) with about 30 seconds to spare and rather out of breath and quite hot. So, what greets me on this train? A: a carriage full of teenage schoolgirls!!! D'oh!

Back through Ashford to the other half of Malling (West Malling). This for round two of getting the bay at Maidstone. This time, I was successful, but not in getting the crossover out of the bay, as the stock returns empty to Victoria :( So Maidstone East to Ashford before returning to London on HS1.

Units: 377514+377509, 465917+466036, 465922, 395005+395004, 395023, 375829+375608, 375818+375623, 395007, 466013, 395016, 375809, 465042+465241, 395012, 375824, 465901, 465909+466004, 377523+377503, 377403+377420.

P.S. Tried not to take 377420 as a sign, seeing as it was going to be 4/20 tomorrow!! I don't do any of that stuff!

P.P.S. Will be on the "Bridge Too Far" Railtour covering Sheerness yet again, but covering two sides of the triangle I still need :)

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Doesn't sound like a fun experience at Canterbury East with that train! I've done a mega run for a few trains in the past and got on, out of breath, just to find that there isn't any aircon on a busy train in the middle of summer.

gazr

Long time no post :(

Well, a bit of a shack bash today- plus some micro gricing! Having a cold all week and deciding to wake up at stupid o'clock do not mix; almost as bad as drinking the night before. So it's off to not so sunny Barking for the last day of DMUs in passenger service between South Tottenham to Barking, and Gospel Oak to Willesden Junction L.L.

This was achieved by catching the 2L10 (450091+450568) ex Basingstoke to Waterloo. This train covers the Wimbledon-East Putney line, but also covers the crossover from UW-UMF @ Nine Elms, which I have not covered in decades.

Various tubes/trains get me to Barking for the 07.18 service off platform 1. 2J06 (172007) takes me to Wanstead Park, and 2J07 (172004) back to Woodgrange Park. A little bit of a wait here for the main prize- the 2J96 (172005) to Willesden Junction L.L. This covers two bits of rare track. The Gospel Oak chord onto the NLL and the Up New Line @ Willesden Junction, into bay platform 2.

Still being early, and rush hour just finishing, it's breakfast time... off to Spoons in Shepherd's Bush for the Large breakfast :) Back to Gospel Oak on 378202. Gospel Oak gets me 172003 to Blackhorse Road. Second time for 004 back to South Tottenham before getting 007 for the second time to Leyton Midland Road. Not too bothered about scoring units, but do like get new ones :) Not to be, as 003 takes me on to Walthamstow Queens Road.

Btw, I don't consider a shack scratched until I have used every platform in passenger use, either by arriving/departing from each one! Yeah, that's painfully anal :) Going good on knocking out this line, in rolls winner 001 to take me to Leytonstone High Road. Third times a charm for 007 as it's ever onwards to Upper Holloway.

I do this move as I know 006 is ahead of it in the Bay at Gospel Oak having seen it working earlier. What should have been a leisurely stroll over the bridge on about a +4 turned a little frantic as they are about to yank the bridge out and made you walk a VERY long way around. Made it onto the platform to see 006 pull in and take me to Crouch Hill. Over the platform and back to Gospel Oak behind 001.

For those who got this far, I guess 172002 was not out to play today (or I typed one into my phone wrong?!). Got 1,3,4,5,6 and 7. Also those keen shack bashers will have noted I missed Harringay Green Lanes. Yep, I know...I got tired and still have time to get this later on a Gospel Oak - South Tottenham weekday service :) (line shuts completely from September to February).

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You must have got bored of going up and down the same line! Good time had though :)

Anal is right for your shack score rule, places like Victoria must be awkward!

Kite159

Veteran Member
You must have got bored of going up and down the same line! Good time had though :)

Anal is right for your shack score rule, places like Victoria must be awkward!

Not to mention places like those stations with bay platforms which normally only see one or two trains a day

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a nice time! I agree with Tech though; it must have got very boring!

gazr

Thanks for the replies yet again :) As I'm a Quail basher, getting those 1 train a day bay platforms is what I go for! Anyway, I'm heading back to live Stateside soon, so it going to be a while before I do any bashing at all :(

Talking of that, as I'm a us resident, I can get a 30 day britrail pass 1st class for £800. What would you all do with that?

Last edited:

gazr

Did you enjoy the tour last week?

30 day pass, way too many options

Yeah, the Javelin tour was very good, and shows what can be done when you have the TOC on your side. I hope this kind of tour and these relationships continue. Sheerness was still a delight that not even the sunshine could make better :) Did like Javelins, but this was tested after being in one of the seats for hours!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Do you mind if I ask why you're moving to the USA? I couldn't live away from the UK on a permanent basis, I'd get homesick!

As for a 30 day pass, my Lordz I'd be in my element! I'd have to go on some proper inter-city journeys first then go from there!

gazr

Do you mind if I ask why you're moving to the USA? I couldn't live away from the UK on a permanent basis, I'd get homesick!

As for a 30 day pass, my Lordz I'd be in my element! I'd have to go on some proper inter-city journeys first then go from there!

I don't mind you asking at all. I haved lived in the states for the past 18 years. I came back for a short time as I've had so much bad stuff happen this past year, I needed a reset. As for what part, SW Michigan (Kalamazoo area). Hardly any train scene around unless you drive to Detroit (yeah, right!!!) or Chicago (hell no!!). I could have drove down to Muncie, IN to where they made the 66s, but even though its one state away, its a bloody long drive :)

The worry I have with the 30 day pass is, will I burn out? Sleepers will feature heavily, and having a first class ticket will get me into station lounges. I've still a couple of lines left to do at the Baker level that I should get done, so I can say I've done every passenger line. Most heinously, I only have one station in Cornwall I have not done. ..Gunnislake. The station was closed for a while in the 90s, so the train stopped at the station before! Sleeper to Penzance to cover that!! :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
The problem with the 30 day rover will be the cost of accommodation

Maybe build in a plan to give you a rest day or two after every X days

Or base yourself out of a place for so many days

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don't mind you asking at all. I haved lived in the states for the past 18 years. I came back for a short time as I've had so much bad stuff happen this past year, I needed a reset. As for what part, SW Michigan (Kalamazoo area). Hardly any train scene around unless you drive to Detroit (yeah, right!!!) or Chicago (hell no!!). I could have drove down to Muncie, IN to where they made the 66s, but even though its one state away, its a bloody long drive :)

The worry I have with the 30 day pass is, will I burn out? Sleepers will feature heavily, and having a first class ticket will get me into station lounges. I've still a couple of lines left to do at the Baker level that I should get done, so I can say I've done every passenger line. Most heinously, I only have one station in Cornwall I have not done. ..Gunnislake. The station was closed for a while in the 90s, so the train stopped at the station before! Sleeper to Penzance to cover that!! :)

Fair enough regarding moving back, if it'll make you happy (or at least you're happy enough to go back) then that's fair. It's a very different scene in the USA to the UK!

As for your 30 day bash, I would HIGHLY recommend using hotels/B&Bs at least every couple of nights, you WILL find too much sleeper haulage gets boring fast, and it gets very uncomfortable trying to sleep on the seats after a while. I direct you to my 2011 ALR trip report, and indeed my 2012 ALR trip report (7 and 14 day trips respectively) to see how I got on. I'll try and find links tomorrow :)

I will try to do a proper, full length typing of my thoughts, advice etc on your proposed trip in the morning. I'll then PM you them, at least I'll have something to do on my work-bound commute!

gazr

Still not feeling 100%, and not much engineering going on around London this weekend, I decided to wait until evening before heading out. Starting out on a quick trip to Tulse Hill with a +3 for the connecting train to Beckenham Junction via Crystal Palace. Over the bridge at Beckenham Junction to the other bay platform 4.

465s in this platform are pretty rare as it's only Thameslink services in weekday peak hours thar use it, but it was two 465s that took me to New Beckenham via that little bit of track that runs directly out of the bay onto the chord, and why I came out here. A sprint under the tunnel to the opposite platform where two more 465s were waiting to take the same route back.

As a London Bridge service was sitting in Platform 1, I decided to go one stop to Birkbeck and get that shack taken care of. The whole station smelled of ****! Not sure if someone had a serious bladder problem, or it was something to do with the cemetery opposite by the tram stop!! Talking of which, it was on the next tram (2995 maybe?...I don't do trams!) to East Croydon and back home to meet up with some mates for a drink at Spoons :)

Photos

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hope you feel better soon!

I need that bay platform, unless I did indeed do it when I did the curve all those years back, way before I recorded my micro-gricing. I never had that issue at Birkbeck when I visited!

Status
Not open for further replies.