• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

gazr's micro gricing reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazr

First of all, I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in my ramblings, so I'll keep them to a minimum :) Secondly, seeing as I covered most of the passenger UK at the Baker level, I've decided to work on the Quail level. On that note, I wish I had kept better records beforehand! I should also probably note that's it's been 18 years since I've been in the UK travelling. Lastly, on that note, excuse any Americanisms that may crop up :)

Yesterday's engineering works around London made for quite a good day covering bits and bobs, so it was up before dawn to make it up to Battersea Park for the 07:22 to Shadwell 378139 (truncated due to engineering). Departing from the now Bay Platform 2, and using the old points from UP to DOWN Atlantic, that was first highlight. Alighting at Denmark Hill it was across the platform to a waiting 465014 + 466016 fast to London Victoria.

377314 + 377326 for a trip to Clapham Junction and then 450546 + 450565 to Richmond. It's here that I was planning to get the 09:17 to Gospel Oak from the little used Bay Platform 3, but this was changed to the 09:43 consisting of 378255. Staying on all the way to Gospel Oak afforded me the opportunity to then depart wrong line back to West Hampstead, using the UP to DOWN at Gospel Oak Junction :)

A very short walk to Thameslink and on to Cricklewood on 387125 + 387122 taking to DF to DS at Cricklewood South Junction. Then across the platform and on to St.Pancras (377507 + 377513) using US to UF at the same junction.

Onwards via tube to Victoria and then to Hackbridge using 377117 + 377133. This scored the DS to DF @ Balham and then the Streatham Reversible Spur. Hackbridge back to Balham on 377614 + 377622 using the Spur in the opposite direction.

Next train 377608 took me to Norwood Junction and then it was onto East Croydon 455807 using the London Bridge Fast to Windmill Junction and the crossing to the reversible line to arrive in Platform 2. From here, it was the same train back to Crystal Palace using crossing from Norwood Junction platform 3 to US (is this used much?). Then 378211 to Shadwell. How this part of London has changed!!! I tried staying on the train to score the crossover but staff were on hand to kick passengers off. They suggested I talk with the driver, which I did, but fully understood when he said it can't be done as the movement was ECS.

Shadwell to Clapham Junction on 378139 and then back to Balham on 455822. Came back to get the UF to US, which was done using 377321 + 377308. A fruitless trip back down to Richmond to catch a return working that was booked to cross UWS to UWF at Barnes and my day ended on a sour note. Mind you, Unusualtrack did have a word of caution on this one!

So there we have it. Hope at least one person made it this far :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Welcome to the trip reporting community! I enjoyed the read and it really makes me want to get back to London (along with reports from everyone else!). Good luck with the Quail level stuff - you're going to need it!

Keith Jarrett

Welcome to the Guild of Master Tripwriters.

Sounds like you had a good day around The Smoke getting some odd crossovers in the book. Sundays definitely seems to be the best day of the week for getting the weird and wonderful in the book.

gazr

Thanks for the replies... wasn't sure if I'd get any! So, it's Sunday which means more engineering and bits of Quail to scratch off :)

A complete blockade at Wimbledon (working on Wimbledon West Junction), resulted in only 4 trains from the non-Thameslink side running today; all from Wimbledon to Waterloo via East Putney and all very early! So, I get to Wimbledon to find the barriers open and the place deserted except for a lady looking lost! She was looking for the same train as me; the 06:42 departing from platform 5. Well, as they had the stairs to the platform blocked by heavy newspaper stands, it was up to me to move them and see what was what! I get halfway down the stairs and see a 455/9 (5917) sitting in Platform 4!! Putting 2+2 together, I figured out what was going on. I wanted the crossover from platform 5 to the district line, but it is much rarer to get a BR train from platform 4. Bonus.

At Waterloo, it was a very brisk walk (and bloody cold too) to Blackfriars. I had a 19 minute gap and made it with a couple of minutes to spare. All this to catch the Thameslink to Farringdon, where the first few trains of the day were turning back from platform 2. 378129 + 378111 did the duty of marking off another crossover and back to Blackfriars I went.

Now it was time to head across London for another bit of rare track- taking the long way due to work North of Farringdon. A tube to Westminster then another to West Hampstead. It was still only about 08:20, so I had about 40 minutes to kill before the first train South trough Thameslink. It was the 2V27 (319384). Starting from the fast platform 3, it was then sent straight to the slow. Then crossed at Carlton Road to the UDR to stop at Kentish Town platform 3 (booked). This let the Brighton service overtake. Back to the UM line at Dock North Junction! The signalbox had fun with that one.

Off at St. Pancras for more tubes to get me to Queen's Road. This was to take the London Overground to Kilburn High Road for another rare turnback (from platform 1) using 378227. Back to Willesden and onto West Hampstead again on 378205. Final trip on Thameslink down to East Croydon by way of Crystal Palace- a nice quick run. Wonder how much faster once London Bridge is open? 387112 + 387113 did the honours.

From here, it was down to Tattenham Corner and back. I noticed platform 1 was in use all day (empty stock in both 2 and 3). This also covered DF to platform 6 @ Purley North Junction on the way out and platform 5 to UF on the way back. Of note, also called at Purley Oaks platform 1 (marked OOU in Quail). 455837 out and back.

That's pretty much it. Next Saturday down to Guildford and Sunday is going to be Epsom, Streatham and East Croydon area again...unless something better comes up!! Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Welcome. I mark everything off in my Baker but I've decided not to do the Quails. I have them for reference but I if I was going to do them I should have marked everything off when I restarted this game 5 years ago. It would stress me out not remembering everything I've done at that level! Good luck in your quest!

gazr

After getting gen from where else but gensheet that Hayes bay platform was in use for today (as well as yesterday), I decided to go out on a weekday for a change. So it was off to Paddington! I know the new timetable from May has two trains on weekdays in the afternoon, but no inbound service covering the crossover, so this was a must.

I'm glad I waited to today as reports of overcrowding were not evident on the 11:03 which consisted of 165129 + 165109. Platform 5 was duly taken care of, where I noted the platform had been resurfaced and platform 4 was in the process of being extended.

On the way out, I had also noticed that work was almost complete on the new bay platform at West Ealing. I'm guessing the Greenford trains will now be kept off the mainline for Cross rail. So a trip back to Ealing Broadway was in order to catch the train to Greenford, which was taken care of by 165132. Second bay of the day.

From here, my plans were blank. So it was Central Line to Shepard's Bush and London Overground to Gospel Oak via Willesden Junction...yep, another Bay :) 378225 followed by 378207.

Now onto the bay platform at Barking!! 172004 all the way. It was sad to note how many platforms had fallen into disrepair from short train lengths. At Barking, i was most annoyed the train stops short of the buffers (at the staircase). It was made up at the next destination...Upminster :) A run across said staircase to a waiting 357006 to take me there. Being at the country end, I crossed the bridge and saw a sorry site... A bay platform 1A that was disused (judging by rust on the rails). Looking on OTT, it has a very limited use over the next several months...basically one train at around 9 pm on two weekends! Over the footbridge at the London end to bay platform 6.

Here, dusty bin 321413 pulled right up to the buffers...I don't think it had much choice as the platform probably just about holds 4 cars. Can't remember if I had a 2 car DMU the last time I did this!! Surprised a 172 isn't used on this line, even though it is obviously electrified. On to Romford...and another Bay :) Straight back to Upminster and by this time it was getting close to rush hour :(

So back to London Fenchurch St (noting the serious rust on Gas Works Junction chord- being used soon for a few days) on 357326. Now for something completely different... I walked to Monument!! A very nice walk it was too. Onto Blackfriars to get to my last bay of the day via Herne Hill... Beckenham Junction. This was to scratch the bay as well as the crossover at the other end of where the train was heading...South Bermondsey (Uttley Junction)...not shown in Quail. Once London Bridge is completed, I can not see this getting any future use, so it was top of my list of peak time PSULs to get done. The 16:44 from Beckenham was pretty much empty the whole way and consisted of two 455/8. South Bermondsey is a shack for sure, with no protection from what felt like a gale force wind... and having a good view of Millwall FC!!!

So two bits of rare track...literally bits...and several bays for a nice unplanned day out :)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the Trip Reporters Club! Some well written pieces there, I certainly enjoyed the read.

I dip in and out of Quail level track bashing, certainly more interested in the stuff local to me more. I nearly have all crossovers and full platform lengths done at Birmingham New Street, for example. Manchester Piccadilly is mostly done, same for Crewe and Paddington is pretty much sorted too. I don't go out specifically for the crossovers and so on, not really, but it's certainly nice to get these bits when I can. I shocked myself when I found I've nearly finished Edinburgh's lot!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It can be aye, depends how devoted you are to it. It's like beer ticking, if you want to spend a fortune doing it and you're beyond passionate about it you'll get it done quicker than the casual beer ticker. Obviously the latter is myself, I'm not going all out for new brews yet!

It's a strange satisfaction when you get a new micro-grice unexpectedly...

Kristofferson

I'd get too "into it" - it'd really bug me if I was missing just one crossover from a section etc.

I'm into quail level gricing but any bog standard stuff I'm happy to get in the process of doing other stuff.

Only time I look at what I need is when I'm out on BLS jobs

gazr

Thanks again for the comments and welcomes. This weekend was fairly busy, so it's Saturday first.

Saturday my aim was Woking and Guildford. With a tickets in hand, it was a bustitution (actually a coach) to get my day underway to C.J. :( This was in order to get the diverted South Coast trains to Woking via Barnes, Hounslow, and Addlestone- only went this way (and back) as trains were also booked onto/off the Byfleet curve from the fast line, which they duly did :)

At Woking, it was off to Bay platform 6...or what appears to be a place for people to throw trash. There were rumours about making this a thru platform, so it had to be done! Now, RTT (and Guildford station information) had outbound workings to Haslemere going through platform 3; as platform 1 was full of empty stock and platform 2 used for reversing trains from Raynes Park, it should have worked like this. Nope. Into a empty platform 2 we went. One more stop to Farncombe[\B] and it was a +40 for the return working (same train). I'm glad I picked this place as it's a traditional Surrey village and I found a great pub up the hill a bit called The Cricketers :)

Back to the station and the train back to Woking- this to cover a rusty crossover South of Woking Junction as the only way to gain access back into the bay from the Guildford direction. Now, the train should have gone via platform 6 at Guildford (another anonmyly) to let the Portsmouth train ahead of us. NOPE <( Guildford box get a F- for scheduling. They stick us in 5 (main line) for a 8 minute pathing stop, and put the fast to London in 6!!! I returned to Guildford on the same train yet again to see if they could get it right...nope.

As I noticed the trains to Raynes Park reversing in Platform 2 (as mentioned earlier), I took one to London Road (Guildford)[\B] and back as this is only usually covered in peak times (usually use bay platform 1). Back one last time at Guildford and over to platform 5/6 to see which of either ex-Haslemere or ex-Portsmouth trains pull in. Luckily for me, the ex-Haslemere arrives first on 5 much to every "normals" confusion, so I knew my train to C.J. would be in on 6. As the down/up Woking to Haslemere trains crossed paths at Guildford, all you could hear echo around the station was "Attention, this is a platform alteration. The train on platform X is now leaving on platform Y.". Particularly a pain for those waiting on 3!! OK, my rant is over!!! Reverse run to C.J. and another coach back home.

2 rare bits of track @ Woking, a couple of nasty bits at Guildford and Byfleet curve/crossovers... plus two shacks thrown in for good measure :)

P.S. Do a RTT search on Guildford for 5/3/16 and see how many red platform numbers there are :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Agreed! A couple of rare bits of track in but it's also a shame about what took you to and from Clapham!

gazr

It's been a long time since I posted, and this is purely because I need to use a tablet and I blooming dislike touch screen typing!

Saturday it was up a silly-o'clock (what one of my mates thinks of me waking up at such times to go travelling), or 4 am to everyone else! This to get my sleepy self to Liverpool St. for a train to Stratford that was covering DE to DM @ Bethnal Green, except it went straight onto the main. Great start, but nothing rare missed out on. The train from Stratford to my next stop of Billericay is the train I was interested in- covering DM to DE @ Gidea Park c/e and then into platform 4 @ Shenfield and then out onto the Southend loop. Back from Billericay via Platform 5 @ Shenfield and onto UM @ Gidea Park, alighting @ Romford platform 2.

Romford to Upminster and then Upminster Bay 1A (not used for a while) to Grays Bay. A 10 minute turnaround saw a T&T 66 on a freightliner come through wrong line on platform 2. This led to a rather strange move, as the freightliner went into the third line. So we went flying across to the Up Tilbury and then back onto the Upminster line (bonus) and back through the Ockendon loop as well.

Upminster to Barking on the District, for the move of the day. Shuttles services from Fenchurch St to Barking arriving/departing platform 4 using l/e crossover. Apparently this is a rare one. Barking to Limehouse and then back to West Ham to catch the return Shuttle to Barking, which was 1 of 2 trains booked to cross at Tilbury Line Junction, run wrong line for a short distance and then back into Platform 4. Very strange!! :)

Excitement for the day over, I made my way home.

Units: 5855+5729, 321330, 321302, 321311+321337, 317890, 357208, 357313+357314, 357205+357037 & 5902.

Sunday was another early start, but I had the luxury of sleeping in to 5:15!! All this to cover some odd crossovers at CJ and Vauxhall due to engineering in the early hours only. Up to Waterloo and back to Vauxhall on what should have covered DMS to DMF @ Vauxhall c/e. Nope...straight onto the main :( Across the platform to 5 to see a empty stock train come through and cover the UMF to UMS, and my train next on time to cover this as well. Nope!!! <( "This is a platform alteration!!!". The God's were not smiling on me. So it was back to Waterloo to try one last time at the Down crossover. Success :) Alighting again at Vauxhall (6) and back to Waterloo again. Now time to get the DF to DS @ Clapham Junction l/e. Which I did on the second attempt!! Wimbledon signalbox really messing with me today! Scored a whole bunch of units though.

Now off to Surbiton to cover Platform 1 to the DS on the Surbiton to Guildford Shuttle. On the way down, a train had broken down in Raynes Park station, so we went fast line to New Malden and then crossed to the slow...another small bonus.

Scored a couple of shacks at Thames Ditton and Hinchley Wood in the process of killing time. 30 minutes @ Hinchley Wood on a windswept, but very peaceful location. Thames Ditton was a very nice location as well for all of 4 minutes :)

Units: 5729+5851, 450568+450126, 5739+5734, 456001+5858, 456004+456011+456019, 444034, 5710, 5918+5920, 159007+159009, 450076+450109, 450033+450120+450548.

Sorry not super descriptive, but typing on a tablet sucks. ..I miss my computer!!

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ouch to the stupid o'clock starts but you did get some good track because of it!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some major determination on your part, it has to be said! I'm not convinced I could do a pre-0600 alarm just for some crossovers!

gazr

Just a short write up today. No silly nonsense today as it was a late start for me of 2 pm! ! Was in Kingston for lunch and decided to head to South London via Waterloo as I needed to pay a visit to Ian Allen.

My aim today was Beckenham Junction platform 4, and to avoid any non-London bound trains come rush hour. A longish walk upto Waterloo East and hopped on a train heading for Hayes. Guess I wasn't paying attention when it said first stop was Ladywell. Quick look at the map and I decide to bail at Catford Bridge and walk the short distance to Catford. In the small amount of time it takes to walk between stations, I see a train depart from the road below...blast. 30 minute wait for the next one, but still gave me time and another shack done.

From here it was a short run to Shortlands, where two BTP officers were stalking the platform obviously on the lookout for someone. From here, it was across the platform and up to Kent House. This is an odd station; 4 platforms, but only 2 see use with platform 1 seeing very limited use and 4 no passenger use at all (and the track needs a blast of weedkiller).

Kent House I await the Thameslink train to Beckenham Junction. One of two afternoon trains to terminate there. Into and out of Bay platform 4 and I decide to knock another shack off at Penge East. Penge East back to Beckenham Junction for a long shot.

The 18:09 Orpington to Victoria, which is booked Platform 1 at Kent House, but has not done so according to RTT in a while. The 30 minute wait was worth it :) Into the loop we go, and sit in Platform 1 whilst a fast whips past in 2.

So there we go. Two annoyingly small bits of track scratched!

Units: 5713+5719, 5704+456012+456006, 5856+5737, 465157+465184, 319373+319006, 465028+465166, 377515+377505, 465050+465164, 377468+377155+377426, 5873+5735

Kite159

Veteran Member
The track layout around Kent House does suggest it should be used more for stoppers to be overtaken by fasts on a mostly 2 track railway, was it one of the stations redeveloped for Eurostar?

(I think I've done that bay at Beckenham Junction back when the PSUL service over the curve down to the Hayes line was in the afternoon rather than early morning as it is now)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nicely done there, I did a PSUL turn on a morning peak turn once, but it was so long ago I didn't log microgricing at the time. So for all intents and purposes, I still need that bay!

gazr

Yes, four days!

Saturday: The first day was more of a rendezvous, as I had a travelcard and brought an extention to Sole Street to score the crossover. Sole Street was taken care of as I had Shepherd's Well, Deal and Canterbury to take care of Sunday, and didn't fancy bustitutions. From here, it was back to Swanley to purchase the Kent Rover to start tomorrow. Also wanted to score the DF to UF as there was a Victotia-Swanley service terminating / starting Platform 2. Stops at St. Marys Cray, Bickley and Bromley South to shack scatch and then fast to Victoria. Not wanting to have a huge day out, I settled for a few shacks on the way to Epsom and Epsom Downs, these being Carshalton Beeches and Wallington.

Epson was to get the crossover out of Platform 1 back towards Sutton. Carshalton Beeches was due to a Victoria train departing Platform 2 (only one weekday train does this move usually) due to stock being out of position due to a fatality at East Croydon earlier on :( This also led to a 30+ minute fester at Wallington, but was not complaining and telling other passengers why everything was cancelled for a while, as Southern staff would only say "a incident at East Croydon".

Units: 5918, 377114, 465930+465237, 465041, 319423, 465010+465005, 375625+375903, 455807, 455832, 455830, 377601, 319008+319373.

3 day rover write up to follow... If I can handle it!! :D

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Most productive time there, and I look forward to hearing about how your Kent Rover went!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Most productive time there, and I look forward to hearing about how your Kent Rover went!

Kristofferson

Hardcore micro gricing there! I enjoy the reads, that's some dedication and patience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.