• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB Railfreight in 'locomotive acquisition' talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richieb1971

Established Member
Everyone Ive asked have not confirmed GBRf is their customer (due to being tongue tied or don't know).

So is it confirmed GBRF are the final destination? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

The other question doing the rounds is the turnaround time for a working loco to come out of Brush works.

CosherB

Established Member
Everyone Ive asked have not confirmed GBRf is their customer (due to being tongue tied or don't know).

So is it confirmed GBRF are the final destination? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

The other question doing the rounds is the turnaround time for a working loco to come out of Brush works.

Are you referring to the 60s or 66s? If it's the 60s, the balance of probability is that yes, GBRf will take some (maybe 6) of the 20, although there is no formal announcement to confirm this (AFAIK).

TimboM

Established Member
Paint froth moment .... it looks like we have confirmation of the revised GBRf livery (minus the Chinook!) ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmdl8...mCH-UKGuqh-UKGtro-UNvvtx-VrTFx1-VrTETA-Ux9NnV Not mine.

It's the same as 66775 HMS Argyll I think (bar the obvious Chinook and numberings) - https://flic.kr/p/Xj1YFi (not mine). Definitely seems to be the new livery - although not sure if bespoke numbering relating to some armed forces hardware is now required on all of them!?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
http://www.railmagazine.com/news/fleet/gb-railfreight-wants-new-vehicles-for-hs2-contracts

Ahem.

GB Railfreight is on the lookout for new locomotives and wagons, as it prepares to bid for HS2 haulage contracts.

GBRf Managing Director John Smith said it made sense that the operator owns its assets outright where possible, rather than leasing them.

Should GB Railfreight win deals to support HS2 contracts, there is the prospect of using up to 16 trains per day just to move products and materials away from construction sites. These are likely to start in 2019.

Smith confirmed to RAIL that he was interested in 20 Class 60s that have been made available for sale by DB Cargo. He has also spoken with Stadler regarding dual-mode Class 88s, although these would adhere to a Co-Co design rather than the current Bo-Bo design.

Smith also confirmed that ideally he would like more Class 66s, and said that there is a secondary leasing market for the class.

The operator is also to take delivery of new wagons from Romania from next month. These will support biomass operations from a new plant at Lynemouth.

GBRf is also modifying more coal wagons, at a cost of around £18,000 per vehicle, for use in the aggregates markets.

SC318250

would it be worth GB taking the 15 Class 90 with Anglia once they finish with them?
Or have Freightliner got their eyes on them?

daikilo

Established Member
would it be worth GB taking the 15 Class 90 with Anglia once they finish with them?
Or have Freightliner got their eyes on them?

Not for the HS2 build contracts as the OHLE won't have been installed. Release of required types from other operations, maybe, but I doubt it.

GB

Established Member
I could see class 90's being used on the Dagenham-Garston car trains and maybe...maybe on the Manchester-Felixstowe (Ipswich) intermodal but who knows....

On Moderation
I could see class 90's being used on the Dagenham-Garston car trains and maybe...maybe on the Manchester-Felixstowe (Ipswich) intermodal but who knows....

With 4 more Class 92s destined for overhaul (92006/020 and two of 92021/040/045/046), much more likely is use of 92s on those trains.

Far north 37

Established Member
With 4 more Class 92s destined for overhaul (92006/020 and two of 92021/040/045/046), much more likely is use of 92s on those trains.

yes i think gbrf are ok for electric traction surely if the 90s go anywhere it will be to freightliner to replace the 86s

cj_1985

I must've missed something... When/where has it been suggested GBRf are going to reactivate 4x of their surplus 92s...?
I had heard, on here, that 2x more were being reactivated

TimboM

Established Member
I must've missed something... When/where has it been suggested GBRf are going to reactivate 4x of their surplus 92s...?
I had heard, on here, that 2x more were being reactivated

92006/020 are definitely coming back and are at Brush Loughborough currently being worked on.

A couple of weeks ago, GBRf MD John Smith was then quoted by a journalist who he has spoken with lots in the past as saying they were also going to reinstate two of the remaining four (with the other two being too derelict).

My money would be on 021/040 - the two currently in France as would appear to be a better bet than the heavily-robbed, bogie-less 045/046 sat on sleepers in Brush's car park.

See this post and following posts in the Caley Sleeper 92 thread on p51 onwards for more info/discussion. http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3079768&postcount=762

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member

yes i think gbrf are ok for electric traction surely if the 90s go anywhere it will be to freightliner to replace the 86s

GBRf may go for both - they're clearly thinking long-term and well-backed by Hector Rail it seems in their expansion plans.

They may be getting 14x 92s back on the rails, but depending on what is used for the ECS, as many as 8-9 could be tied up with the Sleepers, then a couple for the china clay and there isn't a huge number left over to do other things (particularly as 006/020 and the "other two" won't be around for a while yet).

If GBRf target work where 92s are the only feasible traction (i.e. tunnel work, heavy haul under wires - on top of the Sleeper already won), they may also have use for some 90s for other work (current and planned) such as cars/intermodals that doesn't need a 92's unique characteristics.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but GBRf would appear to be looking well ahead and no doubt will be considering a range of options across all loco types.

richieb1971

Established Member
Brush's next loco should have a few plant pot holder pegs on the side, extra rust protection and a cat flap on their next loco. Especially if they sell to DBS.

CosherB

Established Member
Brush's next loco should have a few plant pot holder pegs on the side, extra rust protection and a cat flap on their next loco. Especially if they sell to DBS.

What are you wittering on about? Brush's next loco? Are they designing a new one for GBRf?

And they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!

TimboM

Established Member
What are you wittering on about? Brush's next loco? Are they designing a new one for GBRf?

And they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!

Brush don't need to build new locos as they have quite a cunning business strategy already whereby they were paid (a lot) to build very capable but somewhat high maintenance and complex (where 92s are concerned at least) locomotives.

Due to them being high maintenance and perhaps a tad unreliable, the owners of said locos then parked them up after a fraction of the use they were designed for and allowed them to grow various horticulture.

Said operating companies then realise they actually need the very capable Brush locos and then pay Brush lots of money again (either as a contractor or as the new owners of said locos) to dig them out of the weeds and overhaul/reinstate said locos that they were paid to build in the first place.

Quite clever really...

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
has there been any further updates on the class 60s that were up for sale not heard anything lately

richieb1971

Established Member
Do Brush have the capacity/resource at the moment for a restoration challenge that the 60's will bring?

The first challenge is to move the stock to its new home and visually it looks like nothing much has moved around Toton. I think I saw a picture on facebook (class 60 group) with a siding of 60's that were nominated, but not sure if it were the same siding they sat in for the past 10 years or a new siding where the selected few would be collected from. Either way they are still at Toton.

CosherB

Established Member
has there been any further updates on the class 60s that were up for sale not heard anything lately
That depends, I guess, on who wants them. GBRf are currently hoovering up ex-DBC 66s (rumours elsewhere suggest that they're in for another 10, in addition to the confirmed 10 already going through Toton for repairs) so who knows what there tractions plans are now.

cj_1985

what use could/would 58s be...?
Genuine question, not sarcasm or owt else

Status
Not open for further replies.