• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB Railfreight Rail Operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanelle25

Hi

Can anyone give an insight into the role itself as in pros and cons? What the role actually involves, is it more of a despatch but with freight? career prospects, pensions, rail concessions if any etc

Ta very muchly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddingtonGWR

Hi

Can anyone give an insight into the role itself as in pros and cons? What the role actually involves, is it more of a despatch but with freight? career prospects, pensions, rail concessions if any etc

Ta very muchly
AKA a shunter.

40 hours a week, 30k ish, no free travel on freight. Free heath care?

Pension= dont know.

pros and cons thats up to you too decide.

Chanelle25

AKA a shunter.

40 hours a week, 30k ish, no free travel on freight. Free heath care?

Pension= dont know.

pros and cons thats up to you too decide.
Heya!!

Thank you for info. A friend of mine was looking to apply but didn't know anyone that works for GB Railfreight so thought I'd try and find out as much information as possible. Shame no free travel or subsidies travelling. I think other rail ops offer free or reduced travel card etc? Great on the health care front though? Interesting as she was under the impression the role was more Despatch rather then Shunter, which I'm sure she'll be pleased to hear lol

GB

Established Member
New pay deal it’s now 39 hours per week what ever that is worth.

Chanelle25

Hiya,

Okie dokes, thanks for the info. I'll pass this onto my friend for her to decide lol. Any other further information would be appreciated. Also how does Freight compare to other TOC in terms of pay, annual leave, pensions, benefits, if any?

Ta

paddingtonGWR

Is that the same pay deal as the drivers.

34.5 hours a week but no extra cash:D

Hiya,

Okie dokes, thanks for the info. I'll pass this onto my friend for her to decide lol. Any other further information would be appreciated. Also how does Freight compare to other TOC in terms of pay, annual leave, pensions, benefits, if any?

Ta
Foc and toc all have different T&Cs. You would need to research them.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Heya!!

Thank you for info. A friend of mine was looking to apply but didn't know anyone that works for GB Railfreight so thought I'd try and find out as much information as possible. Shame no free travel or subsidies travelling. I think other rail ops offer free or reduced travel card etc? Great on the health care front though? Interesting as she was under the impression the role was more Despatch rather then Shunter, which I'm sure she'll be pleased to hear lol
FOCs don’t offer free travel or subsidised travelling as a rule.

It’s a good job to get if your friend wants to move on to other operational roles (or just wants to stick at this role, as salary wise it’s not too bad), as she’ll get some great safety critical experiences. Railway jobs are so competitive, my advice would be to just go for it if she’s seriously considering the railway as a career (assuming she’s not already in the industry?).

Chanelle25

FOCs don’t offer free travel or subsidised travelling as a rule.

It’s a good job to get if your friend wants to move on to other operational roles (or just wants to stick at this role, as salary wise it’s not too bad), as she’ll get some great safety critical experiences. Railway jobs are so competitive, my advice would be to just go for it if she’s seriously considering the railway as a career (assuming she’s not already in the industry?).
Hi,

Thank you for the heads up. No she's not in the railway but was looking at applying for the Role Operator vacancy. I think the only problem might be the no free or subsidised travel!! But its about weighing it all up, you have to start from somewhere sometimes to gain experience. Thanks again for the advice.

GB

Established Member
Quick word on hours...its all annualised so you will have a set amount of hours to do per year (RO is now 1817 hours per year)....some weeks you may do 50+ hours, other weeks you might only do 20. Its all meant to average out over the course of the contract. You can start at anytime of the day or finish at anytime so if you have a young family (or social life) that is worth considering.

Chanelle25

Quick word on hours...its all annualised so you will have a set amount of hours to do per year (RO is now 1817 hours per year)....some weeks you may do 50+ hours, other weeks you might only do 20. Its all meant to average out over the course of the contract. You can start at anytime of the day or finish at anytime so if you have a young family (or social life) that

Hiya,

Thank you also for this info. She does have children so will let her know this too.

paddingtonGWR

Quick word on hours...its all annualised so you will have a set amount of hours to do per year (RO is now 1817 hours per year)....some weeks you may do 50+ hours, other weeks you might only do 20. Its all meant to average out over the course of the contract. You can start at anytime of the day or finish at anytime so if you have a young family (or social life) that is worth considering.
How many annual hours is it for drivers?

NorthernTech

So new Rail Operators are on more hours annually than some others they may work with?? Sounds like where I work now, older guys on better hours, hols, and pension but same expectation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.