• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB Railfreight - Trainee Train Manager - Plumstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DA1

Don’t really understand what this position entails? Is it just a general driver for GBRF?

Also states about ground staff rail experience? Does that mean track workers etc or operational worker e.g shunter? I assume you also get a full mainline qualified drivers licence?

Last edited:

Crazyb

Reading it, you will be working on a tamper, maybe driving it with other duties included. I reckon this will mostly be nights.

Its a step in, and maybe you might be able to apply for a actual trainee/drivers role in the future.

DA1

Exactly what I thought, track maintenance machines etc. I’m currently a shunter driver looking to get into mainline driving so I’m debating whether this is a good path to take to get my licence or to wait out for a trainee within my TOC/London based TOCs

GB

Established Member
I believe this is a full drivers job, at least that is what the wage post 6 months suggests...

Crazyb

A hard one to call really DA1. If you left your TOC tomorrow, I bet your life they will take trainee drivers on!!!! On the other note, It's hard enough to become a driver, at least your in and with rules and knowledge under your belt.

One thing to remember, they can hold you to a contract if they have trained you from scratch. Most companies are 2 years for off the street trainees.

Go for it and if you get a interview you can ask the question what GB said. If they teach you 66's plus the plant train...even better. You have nothing to lose in my eyes.

DA1

After reading more and researching it does sound like an exciting opportunity to work for GBRF on new rolling stock and driving across the Crossrail network. Now with the further delay on Crossrail I assume that the work would still be there as they’ve contracted GBRF for 5 years from 2018 with an extension of 3 years in the pipeline.

I’ve gone for it, wish me luck!

Crazyb

After reading more and researching it does sound like an exciting opportunity to work for GBRF on new rolling stock and driving across the Crossrail network. Now with the further delay on Crossrail I assume that the work would still be there as they’ve contracted GBRF for 5 years from 2018 with an extension of 3 years in the pipeline.

I’ve gone for it, wish me luck!

If you get a interview, ask what would happen after the 5 years. Would they move you to a full time driver/trainee driver/ground staff pending vacancies. I'm not sure what standard of training that they would give you on the above job, but if up to a drivers standard your laughing. I was a freight driver for 30 years before moving to a TOC, and there's been a number of tamper drivers taken on over the years.

Good luck.

warrior33

The role is a fully licensed drivers job. Operating the rail head milling machine and mobile maintenance trains.

From reading, majority of work will be within the central operating section and not the NR portions.

Good opportunity & also wouldn’t worry about the 5 years, if GBRF lost the contract, drivers would be TUPEd over to the next company, as the three units are owned by Rail for London Infra and NOT GBRF.

Further - Operator refers to operation of the milling machine or equipment on the MMT. Worth google searching the two different trains listed in the advert to gain an understanding of what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.