• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB Railfreight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lanc688

GB Railfreight are looking for Ground Staff/Shunters in the North West region

http://www.gbrailfreight.com/jobs.php

Best of luck

Thanks Dave,

I've had a look as Freight has always been the area that I would eventually love to work. Interesting that the freight companys only seem to recruit qualified drivers or start the guys off as Shunter types.

The advert states salary 21 - 28 K. 21 K is low, 28 K is do-able; I just wondered if anyone knows how this increment works ie...does it start at 21 and increase to 28 on full qual ?

Curious that's all.

Regards
Lanc

Established Member
Normally you start on the lower salary until you are fully trained, then move up the scale (possibly getting to the highest after a probationary period).

GB

Established Member
Should just be a standard training course, so 4 weeks classroom work and 4 weeks location/on the job training.

Be advised that overtime is only paid at standard rate and paid as a lump sum about a month into the next new tax year. So if you relie on overtime to get you by you might do best looking elsewhere.

You will be on an annualised hours contract aswell.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I fancy freight at some point bit closest depot to me is DRS and they dont get good rep on other theads on here..

Crawley Ben

Being Sussex based, I assume I wouldn't have a hope in hell of being employed by any freight company in one capacity or another? I don't think I live close enough to a company depot (I'm based in Crawley) and relocating isn't an option at this moment in time. Good luck to those that do apply...

Ben

Netto

Just dropped them an email to find out where in the NW they are looking to recruit. The company website doesn't show any depots in the NW!

:)

Beveridges

Established Member
I fancy freight at some point bit closest depot to me is DRS and they dont get good rep on other theads on here..

DRS were advertising for Trainmen last time I checked. The bad rep is from a Drivers point of view in that they have lost a lot of traffic and are making Drivers redundant. However, Trainmen work entirely with the nuclear flasks, and the nuclear work is safe. The only major put off is the shifts for the outward nuclear trains from Crewe, which have horrendous start times, and the money is not that great.

GB

Established Member
Just dropped them an email to find out where in the NW they are looking to recruit. The company website doesn't show any depots in the NW!

:)

There is a depot at Warrington, but I imagine a new depot will be created specifically for this new contract. So the depot will either be at or near Liverpool Docks, Ironbridge or both.

Netto

There is a depot at Warrington, but I imagine a new depot will be created specifically for this new contract. So the depot will either be at or near Liverpool Docks, Ironbridge or both.

Cheers GB - all three would be fine for me if I bum out of my drivers application. Ironbridge though? That's my old stomping ground when I was a kid. Other than the power station, which is due to close soon, what's there?!

Netto
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cheers GB - all three would be fine for me if I bum out of my drivers application. Ironbridge though? That's my old stomping ground when I was a kid. Other than the power station, which is due to close soon, what's there?!

Netto

Just found this:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/network%20code/changes%20to%20access%20rights/2%20concluded%20changes/condition%20j5%20failure%20to%20use%20third%20party%20application/j5-17%20gbrf-dbs%20ironbridge/a%20gbrf%20application%20redacted.pdf

Pacerpilot

DRS were advertising for Trainmen last time I checked. The bad rep is from a Drivers point of view in that they have lost a lot of traffic and are making Drivers redundant. However, Trainmen work entirely with the nuclear flasks, and the nuclear work is safe. The only major put off is the shifts for the outward nuclear trains from Crewe, which have horrendous start times, and the money is not that great.

That's the world of freight I'm afraid. Our turns are all over the place. We've got some sociable ones, 07.45s, 10.00s...right through to relationship killers 00.50, 02.50, The engineering turns have some real crazy book on times. Luckily, I enjoy the variety. My ex didnt :(

Sammy h

Could anyone please tell me what both roles would involve?

Think I am going to send in an application for both, currently work at Virgin in the booking office, but temp until December.

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GB

Established Member
You can't apply for the drivers position unless you are already a driver as GBRf do no recruit trainee drivers.

The ATM position is a shunter/ground staff. You will be responsible for the safe preparation of trains, inspecting loads and vehicles, pulling points, coupling and uncoupling etc etc.

You will have use of a company van to get you from your signing on point to where ever the work is though sometimes you may travel on passenger trains, get a taxi or travel up front with the driver of the train you are working.

It will be an annualised hours contract and will be contracted to work 1818 hours per year. 200 hours are automatically taken off due to holiday so your actual working hours will be 1616 per year accross the remaining 48 weeks.

Depending on the roster, you can work anything from 0 hours one week to 62 hours the next and anything in between. If you fail to meet the 1616 hours by the end of the year the remaining balance gets written off but you will still get paid the same amount....currently £28.2k per year with 13 pay days.

As I said earlier, overtime is paid at standard rate in one lump sum at the end of the year. So the best way to work it if you can is do as little contract hours as possible but beef it up with overtime.

Ie last year I only did about 1450 contact hours but managed 600 overtime hours.

Note...I should say this is how it works with most of the company. As this is a new depot with new employees the terms and conditions maybe different.

Hope that helps.

Sammy h

Thanks GB, that helps alot.

Any idea where this advertised job will be for then? Where do you work out of interest? You enjoy it?

Cheers

GB

Established Member
I work in the south east area. I personally like the job, has its moments like any other but it pays well and you get plenty of time off.

I'd say these jobs will probably be either in the Liverpool area or Ironbridge area as these are the places the train is running too and from.

I may well be wrong so don't take that as gospel.

GB

Established Member
Just a small update. Have it confirmed that the depot will be in the Liverpool area and will be running a minimum 27 services per week.

Looks like who ever gets the jobs are going to be plenty busy!

Res

Has anyone heard back from GBRf about the ground staff role yet?

robert67

i've applied for one of these shunters jobs n i stay on the outskirts of edinburgh, but willing to move if successful, will see what happens...!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anyone heard back from GBRf about the ground staff role yet?

not yet mate, i phoned up a week past friday and they hadnt went through the application process yet....

GB

Established Member
Give it time. Its only been a month since the vacancy was posted. Railway HR is always slow and GB's is not much different.

robert67

received an email from GB rail yesterday saying i should hear within the next few weeks if i've been successful or not with the application process.................hope this helps.!!!

GB

Established Member
Good luck to those that applied. For all the moaning we traincrew do, it really is a decent job.

Res

GBRf sent out letters yesterday re North West ground staff vacancies.

Status
Not open for further replies.