• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Hi Richard, the possible swiss origin rings a bell with what i had read years ago, when the class 56's were being constructed. so you could be right.
I know slightly veering off topic but think the first few DA 60s were built in Switzerland - possibly someone can confirm?

DB

Are the new bits (power units, cooler group, roof section containing silencer, etc) identical and fully interchangeable with those on a Class 66? From looking at the photos, the roof sections so appear to have the class 66 roof profile.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Are the new bits (power units, cooler group, roof section containing silencer, etc) identical and fully interchangeable with those on a Class 66? From looking at the photos, the roof sections so appear to have the class 66 roof profile.
Will they also have engine driven compressors like most GM powered locos or retain originals (like 57s?). Back to Romanian link the GM re-engined DA60s appear to have engine driven compressors the amount of times the unloading valve goes off.

ExRes

Established Member
Some updated photos on WNXX (subscription section) today, 56031 has replacement structural components in place and the cab ends restyled, new light clusters and new buffers while it no longer has its grid, underside equipment and roofline sections have been fitted with glazing and bodyside grilles to come, 56311 is next and is on refurbished bogies but waiting for the roofline to be done

DB

Some updated photos on WNXX (subscription section) today, 56031 has replacement structural components in place and the cab ends restyled, new light clusters and new buffers while it no longer has its grid, underside equipment and roofline sections have been fitted with glazing and bodyside grilles to come, 56311 is next and is on refurbished bogies but waiting for the roofline to be done

THe new roof sections do look very similar to those on a Class 66, but difficult to tell for sure whether they are identical.

It also has an AAR multiple working socket in the middle of the yellow panel

XCTurbostar

Established Member
THe new roof sections do look very similar to those on a Class 66, but difficult to tell for sure whether they are identical.

It also has an AAR multiple working socket in the middle of the yellow panel
I'm surprised it has a yellow panel at all, especially since it has had new lights. Does it have a top light?

ExRes

Established Member
I'm surprised it has a yellow panel at all, especially since it has had new lights. Does it have a top light?

There doesn't seem to be any intention to fit a top light as the loco appears at this time, I find it very unlikely that they would cut a space for it now and, presumably, make changes to the wiring. In their current (non)painted state there is no indication of whether there will be a yellow panel or not

DB

There doesn't seem to be any intention to fit a top light as the loco appears at this time, I find it very unlikely that they would cut a space for it now and, presumably, make changes to the wiring. In their current (non)painted state there is no indication of whether there will be a yellow panel or not

Looks to have lights in the same places as previously - headlight just below the windscreens, in the centre, and light clusters lower down to either side.

The avoidance of yellow panels seems to be a preocupation of passenger operators - none of the freight operators have bothered with it: DRS has them on the 68s and 88s as part of their livery, despite the yellow technically not being needed (the TPE liveried 68s do not have them)

On Moderation
Looks to have lights in the same places as previously - headlight just below the windscreens, in the centre, and light clusters lower down to either side.

The avoidance of yellow panels seems to be a preocupation of passenger operators - none of the freight operators have bothered with it: DRS has them on the 68s and 88s as part of their livery, despite the yellow technically not being needed (the TPE liveried 68s do not have them)
The light just below the windscreen is the top marker light, the light clusters lower down include headlights.

furnessvale

Established Member

Well done the freight operators!

Given railway preoccupation with safety, I find it amazing that an existing safety device that costs nothing and has no failure mode, has been authorised for removal because a new device has been fitted, especially as this new device DOES have failure modes.

Wyrleybart

Established Member

I doubt the roof sections are identical between 66 and 69. One reason is the class 66 superstructure is purely a steel "shed" over the innards, whereas the class 56 bodyshell is stressed skin over a frame. Although the roof section from cantrail height is removal for heavy repairs, it might need to be more rigid.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Possibly the one involved in the Slochd Summit derailment a decade or so ago?
Thats 66048 the accident damaged one.

Read 37190 'Dalzell" 's post on Flickr for a detailed explanation of what happened to it here:

I would explain here but it's off topic.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Thats 66048 the accident damaged one.

Read 37190 'Dalzell" 's post on Flickr for a detailed explanation of what happened to it here:

I would explain here but it's off topic.
How is it so blackened, there was no fire damage in the accident?

EDIT: painted black to obscure the livery according to YouTube comments - understandable

DB

How is it so blackened, there was no fire damage in the accident??

DB sprayed it! I assume that Stobart didn't want their livery to remain on a wrecked loco, and blasting it with black paint was presumably quicker than stripping off all the vinyls.

The 69 is starting to have a passing resemblance of a class 60 above the sole bar with the Angular roof and 2 large openings in the body side.

BRX

Established Member
I'm interested to know why newer designs often seem to have that faceted shape to the roof, while many older locos (including the original 56s) had a curved profile. I'd have though that the curved profile would be the more difficult to produce - and therefore more likely to be a thing with modern manufacturing technology, rather than the other way around.

pdeaves

Established Member
I'm interested to know why newer designs often seem to have that faceted shape to the roof, while many older locos (including the original 56s) had a curved profile. I'd have though that the curved profile would be the more difficult to produce - and therefore more likely to be a thing with modern manufacturing technology, rather than the other way around.
Simplicity, I suspect, where simpler=cheaper. Why spend money on making things above the roof look pretty when hardly anyone will see them?

DB

Simplicity, I suspect, where simpler=cheaper. Why spend money on making things above the roof look pretty when hardly anyone will see them?

In the case of the 70s, it's clear that no effort went into making any of the loco look pretty!

The 68s and 88s are reasonably well designed in terms of appearance, but it can't really be said that any of the other recent-ish classes show much evidence of this being on the radar.