• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

ExRes

Established Member
Along with its whiskers, moustaches and flags 69001 was out thursday, with 73212 for insurance, on 1047 0Y69 Tonbridge West Yard to Tonbridge West Yard via Hastings and Ashord International, I dare say that the odd photo was taken .....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
Any guesses as to what the first workings will be ? Tonbridge to Crawley perhaps, nice short working, or a gypsum, all of which reasonably close to home

BRX

Established Member
69001 was moved from Tonbridge to Bescot today - possibly for attention to some engine issues I think? I'm sure others will know more than I.

The_Train

Established Member
69001 was moved from Tonbridge to Bescot today - possibly for attention to some engine issues I think? I'm sure others will know more than I.
69001 went on to complete it's move from Bescot to Longport this morning for a bit of TLC.

69002 being named next week apparently
Gone to Eastleigh to have the nameplate fitted then?
I've seen suggestions that 002 will be working 'something special' in the not so distant future......

trainmania100

Established Member
69001 went on to complete it's move from Bescot to Longport this morning for a bit of TLC.

Gone to Eastleigh to have the nameplate fitted then?
I've seen suggestions that 002 will be working 'something special' in the not so distant future......

A certain 66 will be hauling it up there, 66789 apparently going by other forum posts, although it's supposed to be confidential . Someone else can disclose the location

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I assume it's being dragged, as 66776 is also allocated to the working.

Stopped at Shawford unless it's a glitch with RTT.

Edit: other trains appear to have passed so it's probably just a lost connection somewhere.

Last edited:

DB

Photos of the 66 and 69002 show them with an AAR cable connected between them - so presumably they've now tested that multiple working between the two classes works fine.

BRX

Established Member
69001 being moved back to Tonbridge this afternoon.

Aictos

Established Member
Latest I've heard is the fleet is blacklisted by ASLEF who have instructed their members not to drive them on safety grounds, as I understand it because the Class 66 type control column takes up more space in the cab, there's not enough room for the driver to get some protection in the event of a head-on collision whereas the Class 56 interior did.

So don't expect them in regular service just yet.

BRX

Established Member
69001 has spent some time sitting at Tonbridge with the odd short trip out and back again, and as far as I know hasn't been put in charge of a real train yet. I assume it's in an extended phase of testing...do we know how that is going? Are they having problems?

D365

Veteran Member
69001 has spent some time sitting at Tonbridge with the odd short trip out and back again, and as far as I know hasn't been put in charge of a real train yet. I assume it's in an extended phase of testing...do we know how that is going? Are they having problems?
It’s a ”first in class”, so it will always take longer than normal.

DanNCL

Established Member
Latest I've heard is the fleet is blacklisted by ASLEF who have instructed their members not to drive them on safety grounds, as I understand it because the Class 66 type control column takes up more space in the cab, there's not enough room for the driver to get some protection in the event of a head-on collision whereas the Class 56 interior did.

So don't expect them in regular service just yet.
Not looking good for the GBRF tour in a week's time then if the drivers won't drive them... Unless they manage to get it sorted within the next few days (unlikely if they've been blacklisted), that'll be three major losses already for the tour, as they've already lost the 86 up the Lickey and the 33 to Oban.

FOCTOC

Not looking good for the GBRF tour in a week's time then if the drivers won't drive them... Unless they manage to get it sorted within the next few days (unlikely if they've been blacklisted), that'll be three major losses already for the tour, as they've already lost the 86 up the Lickey and the 33 to Oban.
What, like this one?

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
Not to say a Driver Manager (or similar) wouldn't be able to...

richieb1971

Established Member
I am surprised it failed on its first mainline working. It's had trials on the Severn valley. All the kit is tried and tested as its an "off the shelf" engine married to some older driving gear.

Bad luck?