• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF livery for 2 Class 50s (50007 50049)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I can’t see a thread on this, which is a surprise:

http://www.gbrailfreight.com/media-centre/news-releases/

15th January 2019
GB Railfreight and Class 50 Alliance collaboration sealed with locomotive repaints
UK rail freight operator GB Railfreight (GBRf) and the Class 50 Alliance (C50A) have today announced that mainline registered Class 50 locomotives 50007 Hercules and 50049 Defiance are to be repainted into the latest GBRf livery.

GBRf worked closely with the C50A in enabling a return to the mainline for their locomotives in 2017 and subsequently through a programme of railtours during 2018 as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Class 50s.

The decision to repaint the locomotives into the striking new livery is a recognition of the developing relationship between the two organisations and marks a new chapter in the story of the Class 50s.

0225B16B-B9C5-4389-A797-2843AA346DA4.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yeah I spotted this story yesterday. Quite a departure from the norm for class 50s, though there's something quite large logo-esque about the application of the GBRf livery, so it doesn't appear as incongruous as I might have imagined.

I can't imagine railtour photographers will be enamoured of it any more than they were the Porterbrook Deltic (Which personally I quite liked), though!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am sure this will go down badly with some! My view: If you own the locomotive you can paint it whatever colour you want

Ash Bridge

Established Member
From someone who remembers (as a child ;)) the class 50s entering service, I think the GBRf livery works very well on them indeed, and to my eyes sits more comfortably than on the rather more modern but boxier shaped class 60, just my personal opinion of course.

Fearless

It's not too bad at all (but I hope they leave MY paintwork alone!). What I have found questionable, though, is badging a loco with the name+number of another (withdrawn) loco: these two 50s are an example, running last year with Neptune and Centurion names+numbers on one side. Even worse was seeing my old friend 55022 Royal Scots Grey named+numbered as Ballymoss. Is there really a point to that?

Harbon 1

It's not too bad at all (but I hope they leave MY paintwork alone!). What I have found questionable, though, is badging a loco with the name+number of another (withdrawn) loco: these two 50s are an example, running last year with Neptune and Centurion names+numbers on one side. Even worse was seeing my old friend 55022 Royal Scots Grey named+numbered as Ballymoss. Is there really a point to that?
Someone is paying big bucks to get a nameplate of their choice (probably their childhood favourite loco that wasn’t preserved), covered in oil and dirt from running on the side of an operational Deltic/50/whatever, for their office/kitchen/garage wall. Where’s the harm in that? Everyone wins.

Fearless

Someone is paying big bucks to get a nameplate of their choice (probably their childhood favourite loco that wasn’t preserved), covered in oil and dirt from running on the side of an operational Deltic/50/whatever, for their office/kitchen/garage wall. Where’s the harm in that? Everyone wins.

No harm, but you then can't get a picture of yourself with 55022 because it says 55018. For everyone who loved Ballymoss, there are those who love RSG and want a picture beside her.

Harbon 1

No harm, but you then can't get a picture of yourself with 55022 because it says 55018. For everyone who loved Ballymoss, there are those who love RSG and want a picture beside her.
So those that love Ballymoss aren’t allowed to recreate the past?

It’s been RSG all it’s life, everyone knows it’s RSG underneath, but it brings some publicity in for the loco and everyone who liked Ballymoss or Meld get a picture beside it too.

The fund have six locos to look after. I know how expensive one 50 is to maintain. Having two essentially long-term hired by GBRf is fantastic, because it keeps the progress on the other four going. The livery looks great.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I can't imagine railtour photographers will be enamoured of it any more than they were the Porterbrook Deltic (Which personally I quite liked), though!
There will be plenty out to photograph them. If it keeps the more miserable ones away, then good. The rest of us won’t have to listen to their moaning.

Fearless

So those that love Ballymoss aren’t allowed to recreate the past?

It’s been RSG all it’s life, everyone knows it’s RSG underneath, but it brings some publicity in for the loco and everyone who liked Ballymoss or Meld get a picture beside it too.

Points taken, and I'm sorry to have made you angry. But let's not forget the youngsters who weren't even born when these magnificent locos were doing their thing. To paraphrase you, are they not allowed to be photographed beside RSG? That loco has a particular relevance in my family, and my nephews were so disappointed when I took them to the SVR diesel gala to see her but they saw 'Ballymoss' instead, who means nothing to them. We could argue both ways!

Harbon 1

I didn’t mean to come across angry :lol:

I am a youngster! I’m 22 so all I have is my dads books and the internet to see what the world of trains was like. I volunteer on another 50 so I know how much help a good steady income such as this would be to keeping even one loco preventatively maintained.

Let’s not forget, if the 50s has been fitted with alternators and retained their sanding equipment when they were refurbished, they could be in the same boat as the many operational 37s and 47s around today. Then no one would bat an eyelid at the colours they were, because they are working locos, doing what they were built to do, not to look pretty!

delt1c

Established Member
From someone who remembers (as a child ;)) the class 50s entering service, I think the GBRf livery works very well on them indeed, and to my eyes sits more comfortably than on the rather more modern but boxier shaped class 60, just my personal opinion of course.
As a child:p, Poetic licence 8-)

Fearless

I am a youngster! I’m 22 so all I have is my dads books and the internet to see what the world of trains was like. I volunteer on another 50 so I know how much help a good steady income such as this would be to keeping even one loco preventatively maintained.

Let’s not forget, if the 50s has been fitted with alternators and retained their sanding equipment when they were refurbished, they could be in the same boat as the many operational 37s and 47s around today. Then no one would bat an eyelid at the colours they were, because they are working locos, doing what they were built to do, not to look pretty!

Great to see youngsters getting involved! Good on you.

I think the GBRF livery looks fine, as I said earlier - is that the 'good steady income' you were referring to? I quite agree with that. It was just the alternate naming I had a problem with, but absolutely no problem with celebrating a partnership that keeps these machines running.

delt1c

Established Member
I dont have a problem with alternate naming and numbering as it can have a revenue benifit, however if a loco is to be renumbered and renamed could we see the loco cosmetically altered to resemble the original loco as many differences exist within classes.

J-Rod

This. Nice to see them still up and active on the mainline as actual working locos, not moving museum pieces. Personally I think the new livery just adds to that - there'll be plenty of time to put them back into Rail Blue, I'm sure

Now if only someone could do the same for 89001. Again. ;)

pdeaves

Established Member
This. Nice to see them still up and active on the mainline as actual working locos, not moving museum pieces. Personally I think the new livery just adds to that - there'll be plenty of time to put them back into Rail Blue, I'm sure

Ooh, 89001 in rail blue! Oh, that's not what you meant! :)

Good luck to the C50A. Nothing better than seeing locos on the main line. I'm all for a bit of nostalgia but variety is the spice of life and I'll definitely be out there looking to get some shots. GB Railfreight have an admirable track record of painting things in interesting liveries. (Whisper it quietly, but I also liked the Porterbrook Deltic and Class 87).

JohnMcL7

What are these two 50's going to be doing in 2019? Are the 66's being kept on the Royal Scotsman?

Far north 37

Established Member
What are these two 50's going to be doing in 2019? Are the 66's being kept on the Royal Scotsman?
Think there for hire for railtour work dont think they will have anything to do with the royal scotsman the belmond liveried 66s are specially painted for that.

HOOVER29

Class 50’s in GBRF livery.
Think large logo but orange.
After a couple of weeks we’ll all be used to it.
Keeps the other 50’s going so.

sprinterguy

Established Member
What are these two 50's going to be doing in 2019?
It's described in the press release linked in the first post:
Following the repaints, the locomotives will be available to operate selected GBRf trains on a ‘spot-hire’ basis. This work will include movement of locomotives between heritage railway gala events, and future railtours. The locomotives will continue to be based at the Severn Valley Railway, but will have easy access to the national network, thanks to the 24-hour connection at Kidderminster.

xotGD

Established Member

It could also run around with a pretend number like 89014 - creating a 'might have been' image of a whole fleet of 'em running on the ECML.

JohnMcL7

It's described in the press release linked in the first post:

I did read it but the information is very vague and I don't understand why they're repainting the engines from their heritage colours that would make sense for heritage railway events and railtours to a more working orientated livery that's less suited to it hence I was assuming they must have something else in mind in addition those tasks for them. Particularly when their other locomotives that are used for passenger services like the Caledonian Sleeper 73's or the Belmond 66's are painted in a suitable livery hence I was wondering if they had more in mind for the 50's.

I'm also curious how they did their mock ups, I hadn't realised the ones at the top were the official images from GBRF which I now see they are as they look like a model class 50 that someone has used MS paint to put the different livery onto.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.