• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF livery for 2 Class 50s (50007 50049)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMcL7

On the flip side, knowing about everything in advance takes away the interest of something totally unexpected turning up.

Pros and cons of modern technology.

No way to know everything though, after spending the day chasing the 37 I mentioned earlier I was down at the station to pick someone up from the station at night time and noticed some older carrriages sitting at a platform. Went out to have a look and was delighted to find a pair of 47's that had hauled the carriages and they were in pristine condition. I was quite amused at the effort in trying to find the 37, I'd no idea about the 47's and caught them by chance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I still get a bit of the old jeopardy when a 37 goes storming past us on a test train unexpectedly.
I've been known to jump off the sofa, fling open the door and say to anyone around "Listen to that! Listen to it!!"
They mostly humour me these days...
I did used to fairly leap off the sofa and throw open the window myself on hearing one of the occasional class 37 hauled test trains when I lived overlooking the Birmingham - Stratford line. :D Class 37s in particular have serious 'presence'.
Either way you look at, anyone born after 1980 has well and truly missed out. I mean you don't get this anymore do you?
Ah, good old Peak Forest. :smile: While I regret missing out on a rail scene of wall to wall workings by dirty great diesel locos and am thoroughly stuck in the eighties myself, I personally feel that there's no better place to be than right here and now.

Moodster020

Either way you look at, anyone born after 1980 has well and truly missed out. I mean you don't get this anymore do you?

I was born at Doncaster in 1980 & lived 5mins walk from the station until 1984. My first memories (as 3 or 4 year old) was going down the subway at Donny & hearing the old BR triple dong announcement on the tannoy & being petrified by the screaming valentas, but at the same time fascinated. Can later on remember being on the station 1992 & 93, watching 37s on tankers, 58s & 56s on MGRs. Now living the dream working on this era machines at HNRC for a living!

I was born at Doncaster in 1980 & lived 5mins walk from the station until 1984. My first memories (as 3 or 4 year old) was going down the subway at Donny & hearing the old BR triple dong announcement on the tannoy & being petrified by the screaming valentas, but at the same time fascinated. Can later on remember being on the station 1992 & 93, watching 37s on tankers, 58s & 56s on MGRs. Now living the dream working on this era machines at HNRC for a living!

I remember the Valentas, but only vaguely. I was born in 2001 and so could of only been 6 or 7 when the MTU's engine were fitted. Although what I really miss is freight, we don't have anything down here in Devon. Baring in mind i have never seen a fifty in operation, i am hoping these 2 50's will come to Devon on some railtours. What machines are you working on?

Wish I had been born 20 years earlier :'(:'(
I would happily sacrifice my PC, Smartphone, Xbox and all other modern devices to of been born in 1975 and not 2001.
Either way you look at, anyone born after 1980 has well and truly missed out.
Mate, trust me. There are people who were born in 1980, 1975 and before who are reading your posts and saying to themselves "I really wish I'd been born in 2001"

Never, ever wish your life away. Especially not for something as trivial as trains. It may seem like your life is stretching away in front of you like an eternity but, even if you are lucky enough to get through it relatively unscathed and reach a ripe old age, it passes frighteningly quickly.

You may think I'm 'lucky' to be old enough to have witnessed things like the Deltics on ECML expresses, all those 'classic' old diesels in squadron service and have travelled quite a few now long-closed railways on regular passenger trains. But when I was 17/18 I was saying exactly the same things as you are "I wish I'd been born early enough to see steam, I wish I'd seen BR green livery, I wish I'd been around to have seen so many more branch lines, signalboxes, goods yards..." etc etc etc.

But now I wish I'd been born a lot later!

Forget what you didn't witness. You only get one shot at life so concentrate on the present, get out there and live the best and most fulfilled life you possibly can. Aim for the stars, don't be afraid of good, old-fashioned hard work and live every moment as though it's your last. Then, when you get to be an old fart like quite a few of us are, you'll have the satisfaction of looking back at your achievements and going "I did all that. Nobody else did it for me and I didn't waste a day."

Life is precious. Treasure it. :)

gazthomas

Established Member
I remember the Valentas, but only vaguely. I was born in 2001 and so could of only been 6 or 7 when the MTU's engine were fitted. Although what I really miss is freight, we don't have anything down here in Devon. Baring in mind i have never seen a fifty in operation, i am hoping these 2 50's will come to Devon on some railtours. What machines are you working on?
Saturday 23rd March will see them coming through Devon

sprinterguy

Established Member
Are they, excellent. Do you know any links to a site where i can get times if you do then that would be hugely appreciated.
Published timings are still preliminary at present, the page on the Pathfinder Tours website only gives the departure times from Paddington and Reading:
https://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/events/the-50-terminator-pheonixed/

However links to detailed timings will be posted on this page once they are finalised:
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/230319a.html

The Railtour Info site generally is an excellent resource for keeping track of upcoming tours.

Harbornite

Established Member
Enthusiasts (such as the children you see at diesel galas) often have a different agenda from railway folk, simple as that.

I doubt they'd care that the last digit on the side of a loco was different to what it usually is.

J-Rod

I was born at Doncaster in 1980 & lived 5mins walk from the station until 1984. My first memories (as 3 or 4 year old) was going down the subway at Donny & hearing the old BR triple dong announcement on the tannoy & being petrified by the screaming valentas, but at the same time fascinated.

I remember being terrified by them as a small child at Swansea. That, the stink of diesel... and the rain.

EDIT - the rain and the stink of diesel wasn't frightening at all. Just painting a picture here.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember being terrified by them as a small child at Swansea. That, the stink of diesel... and the rain.

EDIT - the rain and the stink of diesel wasn't frightening at all. Just painting a picture here.
A 50 made me cry at a foot crossing near Redruth when I was little, by honking and being very noisy...

J-Rod

A 50 made me cry at a foot crossing near Redruth when I was little, by honking and being very noisy...
According to the latest telly incarnation of Watership Down, they murder rabbits in cold blood n all...

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Ironic because the HSTs largely replaced the 50s and now the shoe is on the other foot!

xotGD

Established Member
Ironic because the HSTs largely replaced the 50s and now the shoe is on the other foot!
!

Truly wonderful!

What would be 10-times more dreadful would be a Deltic taking an LNER HST set to the scrapyard.

(N.B. I use the term 'dreadful' in the rail enthusiast manner, rather than literally.)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
!

Truly wonderful!

What would be 10-times more dreadful would be a Deltic taking an LNER HST set to the scrapyard.

(N.B. I use the term 'dreadful' in the rail enthusiast manner, rather than literally.)
"Dreadful".
Nowadays my kids say "Sick".
It's all very confusing...

zn1

as as 12 year old standing on the london end of the down main platform at slough, the front of a 50 looming at you at 90+ they looked and still look massive, then followed by screaming valentas, the blast of heat from the rads.....watching trains at slough was always fun..

AnthonyRail

Established Member
has anyone seen any pictures of the 50s in the new Livery?

Can’t wait to see them on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.