• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF livery for 2 Class 50s (50007 50049)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Superb! GBRf livery looks like it was made for the Class 50s, they wear it far better than modern day locomotives such as the Class 60 in my view, to me its amazing to think that this is a 50 year old machine that came into service just as my childhood interest in railways was starting to develop and incredibly it still looks modern and purposeful now in the 21st century, well done to all who made it possible!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Anyone know why they are scheduled stop on return at chard junction . For 45mins?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Anyone know why they are scheduled stop on return at chard junction . For 45mins?

Pathing on the single track route.

The hourly SWR service is arranged around trains passing at Tisbury, Sherborne, Axminster and Pinhoe. The tour therefore has to to cross a down SWR train at the 'spare' passing loop at Honiton. By the time it gets to Chard Junction, the next 'spare' passing loop, it won't get to Yeovil in time to cross the next down SWR train so it waits.

It then needs to wait for the passing of the next up train at Chard Junction since if it didn't, it would be 'in the way' of that up train at Sherborne waiting for the single line through Templecombe. It crosses the next down train at Gillingham, the only 'spare' loop between Tisbury and Sherborne.

Whatever happens, it has to let an up SWR train go past and they have opted for that to happen at Chard Junction.

Last edited:

HOOVER29

https://flic.kr/p/RvbeJK

Not my piccy.
They look bloomin superb.
Big fat two fingers up to all the doubters & moaners including me.
I’m man enough to admit when I’m wrong & I was over this livery being applied to the 50’s.

HOOVER29

Look good in the video.
I’m working this weekend too & a sickie isn’t really an option otherwise I’d be down in Devon on the sea wall at boat cove then hit Bodmin Parkway or nearby for the returning shot.

Single track for much of the route between Exeter and Salisbury so it will most likely need to pass or be over taken by SWR services on some of the passing loops situated along the route.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Aren’t showing as left Paddington yet. Anyone know if it’s still running

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Great picture Anthony, also nice to see the train is formed of mainly mk1 stock, no doubt most of the toplights will be jammed wide open on these! :D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it is almost as if posters here haven't seen a class 50 on the main line before ;)

Thye have been very smartly turned out,

Chris217

They look smart.
If I'm honest,I hated silly liveries on class 50s but these look very smart.
Very nice to see these actually running on the mainline again.
Always liked 50s.
Had all 50 for haulage and large logo always suited these best in my opinion.50016 large logo with black roof.
Phwaorr!!!
As much as I appreciate the heritage railways that operate these beasts,you haven't really had one proper until you had it doing 100 between Reading and London Paddington.
Roll drum English Electric symphony orchestra hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.