• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Rail Tour 2021: This time it's personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

43 302

Established Member
GBRf have announced a four day rail tour from the 24th to the 27th of September to raise money for Prostate Cancer.
Includes Class 73s, 66s, a 33 and 37 in multiple on the G&SW, a 92 through the Severn tunnel and an 86 up the Lickey! All with Mk1 stock.

https://www.gbrfcharityrailtours.co.uk/gbrf2020

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43 302

Established Member
Why no class 50?
There's two class 50s, presumably 50 007 and 50 049. I'm sure the tour will go ahead as planned, maybe the date will be pushed back a little though. Worth noting that GBRf have postponed ticket sales for the time being. Has anyone been on one of these tours before and can comment on what it's like on board?

Established Member
I was onboard GB 15 on day 3 and I didnt encounter any hassle whatsoever. The 3 guys whom I was in company with, whom I didnt know from Adam, were good craic.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The only slight annoyance from GB18 for me was "laptop man" who joined the train on day 3 in Scotland when it went towards Fort William. Spent pretty much the entire journey watching movies on his laptop with the curtain closed.

Although I was in first class, the extra money was worth it for the much better seat

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only slight annoyance from GB18 for me was "laptop man" who joined the train on day 3 in Scotland when it went towards Fort William. Spent pretty much the entire journey watching movies on his laptop with the curtain closed.

How odd, although it does remind me of a friend who seems to fall asleep on railtours and train trips normally at the best bit!

black-cat

Does anyone know if we have to stay on the train when the traction is changed.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if we have to stay on the train when the traction is changed.

Unless the change happens outside station areas.

During the last tour, I don't think I was alone in dashing to a nearby Tesco during a lengthy traction changeover for supplies.

LA50041

Established Member
How odd, although it does remind me of a friend who seems to fall asleep on railtours and train trips normally at the best bit!

This reminds me of a certain railtour I was on where the chap on the Aisle seat was moaning about needing a window seat, so I swapped then he promptly fell asleep for most of the tour :rolleyes:

D365

Veteran Member
Class 92 on the Great Western, will that be the first passenger stock hauled using an electric locomotive?

43 302

Established Member
Class 92 on the Great Western, will that be the first passenger stock hauled using an electric locomotive?
Will be the first one from Cardiff through the Severn tunnel into Paddington but as mentioned 87 002 went from Didcot to Paddington a couple of years ago.

_toommm_

Established Member
The virtual ticket office for this is now password protected - could this be a sign that they're thinking the tour might not be able to run?

43 302

Established Member
Yeah they were going to release the tickets but they haven't yet.

gazthomas

Established Member
Having done the first two tours in full I'm somewhat disappointed with the planned itinerary. I know there are constraints on what can be done but to me this lacks ambition, with a repeat of places visited previously (for example Harwich and Hampshire). It would have been good to have covered more of Wales, for example to the coastal ports and then up the Heart of Wales. It feels more like a trip for people wanting rare locos on rate track rather than a proper four day rail tour and given the poor experience we had accessing rare/private sites on the last trip it seems risky). So I'm undecided whether to go, though I wish the fundraising every success

gazthomas

Established Member
Maybe the traction bit is more important than the track?
I agree with that and that's my point, the track proposed is to niche and we should get out and about and enjoy the 4 days and the traction. But the itinerary just doesn't float my boat sadly

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It would have been good to have covered more of Wales, for example to the coastal ports and then up the Heart of Wales.

Each to their own really on this - on routes, the point really is that there are better ways of getting these routes covered on one day railtours where the choice of route is what you are buying. The Heart of Wales route is exactly the sort of line that makes more sense as a day trip itinerary (and indeed there have been tours in the last year or so which have covered it)

Status
Not open for further replies.