• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF Stockport/Manchester trainees

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaTrain

I currently am self-employed. Running my own online store. Very different to what is required lol. I did work as a conductor for Arriva Trains Wales for a while but had to relocate to Manchester to be nearer to the hospital. Ever since been trying to get back onto the railway as a Driver! I have got a few basic examples of working with the trains in a more 'driver' capacity. We were the only conductors in Wales who had to prep certain trains for service. Including carrying out the brake tests, cabling etc. I also had to evacuate my train in an emergency and carry out a rolling test on live rails which was interesting to say the least. I put these examples down and spoke to her which made her say she was interested in my application.

I am just not sure whether I contact them or not. I don't want to come across as desperate lol. Or that I am hounding them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LRV3004

That's always a tricky one. You want to sound keen/proactive yet don't want to be seen as bothering them all the time! I'm still awaiting details of my medical and am wondering whether to e-mail or call to ensure they received my completed medical consent form. However when I submitted the form it did say it had gone through. Might hang on till next week!

Dr. Pepper

Its judging the amount of distance between each bit of correspondence but I usually go for a week and never conduct business on a Monday! But if you don't ask you don't get. They said the medical will be within two weeks so I'll wait the usual week and see.

At least you've had railway experience which is like gold dust in itself.

TeaTrain

Yeh your right. I have decided to take another go at my stage 2 assessments next week. Even if it seems TPE have already filled the job quota. I just think it would still be wise to reset all the times on my tests. I will contact GB and just subtly let them know I have renewed them but would like to work for them.

All providing I don't fail next week!

LRV3004

You won't fail fella - just go in there with a "right, let's do this" approach! It worked for me when I did my psychometrics! I think the best thing to do is not "over practice". What you find there is you end up memorising the answers on your practice material rather than solving them through your own skills. And don't look on YouTube either - one of them was so misleading it scared the daylights out of me because it was virtually impossible to pass!
Find the balance of not being too nervous and not being too confident either, and you'll be absolutely fine!
If I don't chat to you before then, all the best!

Kevlar

Interesting, hopefully that means they got the contract and are training a number of drivers.

LRV3004

Has anyone who's been told they've got a medical and filled out the electronic form heard anything yet?

Kevlar

Does anyone know what kind of work they do in Stockport? I can't find anything online and there is no mention of a Stockport depot on their website.

LRV3004

Does anyone know what kind of work they do in Stockport? I can't find anything online and there is no mention of a Stockport depot on their website.
In my interview, I was told it was something to with HS2, but was also told I could be deployed to surrounding areas if required to undertake work.

Kevlar

Thanks, when they called me for the interview they told me that they were waiting on a contract, hopefully with the announcement of HS2 then the contract has been awarded.

LRV3004

Thanks, when they called me for the interview they told me that they were waiting on a contract, hopefully with the announcement of HS2 then the contract has been awarded.
And hopefully I'll hear news of my medical soon also ha ha!!!

Dr. Pepper

Fingers crossed the contract is now sorted out and progress with medicals will come through!

It's our home living location of Stockport. We can get to Crewe, Peak Forest, Trafford Park and such all under an hour. And connect to anywhere from the train station.

Far north 37

Established Member
In my interview, I was told it was something to with HS2, but was also told I could be deployed to surrounding areas if required to undertake work.
I would imagine it would be a good few years before any freight trains start hs2 work around the manchester area the contracts still haven't been awarded for the work on the southern section yet so contracts for the northern section which might not possibly open now till 2040 now may be a long time away yet.

TeaTrain

Well I redone my stage 2. passe the computer tests and waiting for MMI result. It was very rushed and she had a cold...so coughing and blowing her nose constantly.

I don't feel good about it but we will see!

TeaTrain

Yeh my son will be born soon so I have plenty to do lol!

I know I just feel like others would have had the other person who wasn't ill etc. It just doesn't seem fair. Its just a waiting game now!

Dr. Pepper

You could challenge it but sometimes it could do you a favour having an ill interviewer for various reasons. Remember they don't have a clue on the technical things you're saying but it's just to see if you can express your thoughts clearly and you're not a crackpot!

Nevergiveup

Did you fail any of the stage 2 assessments on first attempt?
Well I redone my stage 2. passe the computer tests and waiting for MMI result. It was very rushed and she had a cold...so coughing and blowing her nose constantly.

I don't feel good about it but we will see!

TeaTrain

No I passed them all last time I did them a few years back. To Enhanced standard. HAHA would be really gutted if I fail this time.

Nevergiveup

What i meant was did you pass them on first attempt or second attempt as you've mentioned “re-sit” so I was wondering as I failed Vigilance test but passed all others on my first attempt
No I passed them all last time I did them a few years back. To Enhanced standard. HAHA would be really gutted if I fail this time.

TeaTrain

Ah I passed them all on my first attempt. Still have 2 lives as of right now.

The WAFV tests I was sure I failed this time. I have no idea why but the practice light greay and the dark grey was fine but when the actual test started I am convinced the shades were different so I click the very first 3 squares before realising nope this is the light grey!

I just pushed the thought of failure out my mind for the next 30 mins and done my best. I was relieved to say I still passed to enhanced. Despite my silly mistake. But I think my reactions are not too bad.

Last edited:

Nevergiveup

Lucky you, I thought I’d fail on combined TEA part 3 or ATAVT but I did well on those, but during WAFV I was sitting too low which made the square appear darker but was too late by the time I realised and adjusted my seat and tilted the screen a bit lower and also lack of sleep the night before affected my concentration later in the day as computer tests were around 2pm. Hopefully I will pass on my second attempt
Ah I passed them all on my first attempt. Still have 2 lives as of right now.

The WAFV tests I was sure I failed this time. I have no idea why but the practice light greay and the dark grey was fine but when the actual test started I am convinced the shades were different so I click the very first 3 squares before realising nope this is the light grey!

I just pushed the thought of failure out my mind for the next 30 mins and done my best. I was relieved to say I still passed to enhanced. Despite my silly mistake. But I think my reactions are not too bad.

TeaTrain

You will pass! You already know what went wrong to combat it next time! I stayed in the hotel the night before so I didn't feel rushed.

Nevergiveup

Yeah just need to wait 6 months which seems forever and that was a good idea staying in hotel the night before, I was thinking to do that but didn’t and instead set out from London at 6am, I was drained by the time it got to afternoon and only had about 4 hours sleep
You will pass! You already know what went wrong to combat it next time! I stayed in the hotel the night before so I didn't feel rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.