• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF the major new player in the charter market ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lankyline

In an article in the new edition of "Rail magazine", the question was asked did GBRf see itself long term as a major charter operator, the answer was yes.
They have currently seen a rise in interest in them running charters, namely Pathfinder, but deny its down to WCRC's issues !

Whilst they would obviously take on diesel hauled charter work, a number of other questions spring to mind,

Is this good for the charter market that a company the size of GBRf sees major potential and also maybe sees an opportunity to "go after" WCRC's business ?

What about steam hauled charters? would GBRf, for example, partner with Jeremy Hoskins company to provide steam traction, they have indicated they would be potentially interested in partnering with someone to develop this market.

Given WCRC's current position, what effects do you think GBRf's move would have on their diesel hauled charters, given also that they have lost the Belmond Pullman to GBRf, or indeed WCRC in general?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

broadgage

Certainly sounds good news to me.
GBRF are IMO a well run company whose staff seem in general to have a more professional attitude then some competitors.
If they are to run charters, then I doubt that we would see many last minute cancellations due to lack of staff for example.

GBRF seem to employ many staff with a genuine interest in railways, rather than it being simply a job.

(I have no direct connection with GBRF, but do know several of their drivers)

trainmania100

Established Member
After the amazing weekend of the gbrf diesel gala at the bluebell railway I say bring on gbrf charter Trains

CosherB

Established Member
Maybe GBRf and Riviera could form a venture. I've no idea if the 'Charter Alliance' still exists between Riviera and DBC (whatever that meant).

There's a decent synergy between GBRf and Riviera and I think it would make a good fit. It all boils down to what such a company sees itself doing - would it be purely a diesel/electric operator of charter passenger trains?

theblackwatch

Established Member
The charter's which GBRf are doing seem to be ones which I'd previously have expected DBS/DBC to have operated rather than WCRC type operations. I'm not surprised, as, if the length of time they take to respond to initial enquiries is anything to go by, DBC don't seem particularly bothered about charter work.

Status
Not open for further replies.