• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR 4-CIG & 33 Push/Pull Weekend 19th & 20th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
The Great Central Railway has announced another impromptu Gala weekend, this time with a dash of 1970's BR Southern Region!

Recently the resident 4-CIG EMU and Class 33 Locomotive operated succesfully in Push/Pull mode for the War Weekend, now the railway has decided to give over an entire weekend to the duo to slot in between timetabled trains, to give over 50 miles of haulage, or propellage each day.

The event will take place on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th of August, and if succesful, it's very likely that a similar weekend may take place again!

Locomotives/Units:

British Railways Class 33 Diesel Locomotive
Built: 1961
Livery: British Railways Blue (rather faded)
Class: Type 3
Small33.jpg

1393 (7397/1297/2256) - Class 421 4-CIG
Built: 1972
Current Livery: South West Trains
Class: 421 EMU
Small4-CIG.jpg

British Railways Class 101 Diesel Mechanical Multiple Unit
Built: 1958 (E50321) and 1959 (E51427)
Livery: British Railways Brunswick Green with Speed Whiskers
Class: 101 (Diesel Railcar Power Twin)
Small101.jpg

Up two two other Steam Locomotives, and one Diesel will also be running.

Fares will be the standard 'Cheap Day' fares, which are below;

Adult: £12
Child/Senior: £8
Family 1: £20
Family 2: £30
Priv Adult/Senior: £5
Priv Child: £3

Local fares between stations are also available.

Family 1 = One adult and three children.
Family 2 = Two adults and three children.

The working timetable is available below.

Working Timetable

Also a video of Push/Pull in action was taken by me a few weeks ago when it was undergoing testing and driver training. This is available here.

Another video is available here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Pedantic mode now ... the slammer is actually in NSE / orange stripe which has been come to known as SWT livery. :)

AlexS

Established Member
Actually, to be pedantic Tom, it was adopted as the first issue of South West Trains livery and was revised once more (on the 442s) before being dropped all together! Although it was indeed Network SouthEast livery with an orange stripe!

Guinness

Established Member
I shall be attending. Anything for that wonderful CIG action! ;)

Coxster

Established Member
AlexS said:
Actually, to be pedantic Tom, it was adopted as the first issue of South West Trains livery and was revised once more (on the 442s) before being dropped all together! Although it was indeed Network SouthEast livery with an orange stripe!
Indeed - here is an image. I believe SWT adopted the modified livery it as the NSE livery could be easily (and cheaply) made to include the Stagecoach colours and not look out of place when coupled to NSE liveried stock.

442_SWT1.jpg

Copyright © Colin J Marsden.

TheSlash

Established Member
I'm working the Saturday night, i might put in an appearance, but only if the CIG behaves and i don't have to rant at people about how simple it is to fix it!! :D

Nick

Just a question for Slash really, how many members are currently involved in the restoration of the 4CIG?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Didnt look like it when I went for a snoop around it with some of the GCRN top bods, some of the toilets were missing, etc etc.

Though they were kind enough to put in some new fault reporting books.

The set doesnt get awfully dirty either, considering it's been sat out in the middle of nowhere for a good 8 months I'd say it looks pretty good on the outside!

Guinness

Established Member
I think the CIG now has something like 2 working toilets on it. Plumbing work is much needed on it.

TheSlash

Established Member
Plumbing was always a problem even when the units were in full service with SWT. I could tell you a few stories about the toilets on the old slammers, but not publicly on RailUK.
139x had six toilets owing to the extra two on the CEP TSO

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Coxster said:
That'll be from it's mainline days ;)
Surely a similar attack was not made on the toilets as was made on the anti-macassars? ;)

The swines! Thankfully there were no presents left in any of the toilets remaining in the train!

Status
Not open for further replies.