• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR 9f

Status
Not open for further replies.

C37

The 9f was on display at Quorn today carrying the nameplate "City of Leicester".

I could have sworn that the nameplate was "Leicester City"!

Is my memory failing me or have the nameplates been swapped?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Townsend Hook

That particular loco (92214) has been through several name changes, it was ‘Cock O’ The North’ when it arrived at the GC from the NYMR, it’s also carried the names ‘Cromwell’, ‘Central Star’ and then ‘Leicester City’ after the football club, not to mention an appearance masquerading as 92220 ‘Evening Star’. ‘City of Leicester’ is a development I was unaware of, but presumably has been done to remove the association with the football club for whatever reason.

alexl92

Established Member
That particular loco (92214) has been through several name changes, it was ‘Cock O’ The North’ when it arrived at the GC from the NYMR, it’s also carried the names ‘Cromwell’, ‘Central Star’ and then ‘Leicester City’ after the football club, not to mention an appearance masquerading as 92220 ‘Evening Star’. ‘City of Leicester’ is a development I was unaware of, but presumably has been done to remove the association with the football club for whatever reason.
My guess would be that the club were happy to let the name be used in the wake of their surprise title win but have since decided that they would like to earn money from the use of their name. Most football clubs are that way out.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My guess would be that the club were happy to let the name be used in the wake of their surprise title win but have since decided that they would like to earn money from the use of their name. Most football clubs are that way out.

Eh? I suspect the railway changed the name to celebrate the title win and have since changed it back to something more representative of the area.

Is it not owned by a gcr director from the local area?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
According to the Preserved British Steam Locomotives website - 92214 – Preserved British Steam Locomotives:

"In January 2014 it was announced that the GCR Director (Mr Michael Gregory of Cromwell Tools) had purchased 92214 from Mr Stuart Whitter of PV Premier Ltd for dedicated use on the GCR.

Earlier in its preservation history it carried the name Cock o’ the North for a short time. In more recent times it has been named Cromwell and Central Star and also run as 92220 Evening Star with the agreement of the National Railway Museum. It is believed that it will now carry the name Central Star although it has recently borne the name Leicester City after the football team won the Premier League title."

I've recently seen a photo with it bearing the name "City of Leicester", though.

alexl92

Established Member
Eh? I suspect the railway changed the name to celebrate the title win and have since changed it back to something more representative of the area.

Is it not owned by a gcr director from the local area?
They did - but I would imagine that if the railway had hoped to leave it with that name long term (admittedly unlikely given they appear to rename it every 3 weeks) then the football club would probably ask for money to use it. If that has happened, changing to 'City of Leicester' would circumvent that whilst not changing it too much. I might be wrong though.

Spartacus

Established Member
The loco's had almost as many names as Prince, I wouldn't read anything into it.<:D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think the football club should pay the railway for publicity.

I don't think a premier league football club displayed almost constantly on global media of every sort really needs additional publicity...............................

( I guess there may be someone in Quorn who hasn't heard of Leicester City football club)

Status
Not open for further replies.