• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Mogulb

Will be a big boost if the northern embankment is reinstated in the new year, but there is nothing official anywhere from the GCR. I still think it will not need any further permissions apart from approval from the environment agency as the GCRN TWAO covers upto the MML.
Soil nailing was mentioned in the GCR magazine some time ago as being used as a trial on the northern embankment to see how suitable it would be. There are numerous other construction techniques that can be used to create narrow embankments , the GCR and their designers will need to find the most cost effective one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
...It wasn't appreciated for many years that the weight of the embankment itself could cause problems on certain soils by causing them to compact under the embankment and hence cause subsidence. This effect in recent decades has been employed to provide more stable ground for building etc., a technique known as 'preloading'; you simply dump a mass of soil and leave it for a while on top of where you eventually wish to build. Cuts out noisy and expensive machinery except when placing and removing the soil.

I watched the recent Nottingham tram extensions being constructed and on one section, large amounts of soil were dumped and then later removed after 6-12 months (along the side of University Boulevard), I guessed this was in order to compact the underlying soil. It's good to have this confirmed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
DSCF7494.JPG

Work on site is continuing with clearing up work, there are several pallets of blue bricks though and I wonder if they are to be used? It seems as though there are no plans, at present, to rebuild the "missing" North embankment section ......which would be a missed opportunity, I think. However with the sad news about HLF funding there may be some changes re expected cash flows over the next few months/years??DSCF7495.JPG
Meanwhile the car park is being "squared off" and run up to the South abutment. They hope to have it surfaced and finished by the end of the month.

Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
The GCR is very much on the ball as far as fundraising. There is a specific appeal now for the canal bridge to be restored this Autumn and inspired by the reality of the Midland Mainline bridge installation I have just made a substantial donation (>1/1000 of the cost). This is not to boast (I'm very lucky to be in this position due to an inheritance) but to encourage others who can afford to donate to do so. This project can come to fruition sooner rather than later if the donations keep flowing.

mushroomchow

Great to hear Duffield, as somebody involved with the railway I'm grateful and regularly astounded at the generosity of so many people who make projects like this possible.

The Canal Bridge appeal doesn't have the same "glamour" as the MML bridge, but it's equally important to the overall goal. Hopefully we can make some good funding progress at the winter gala!

Flying Phil

Established Member
DSCF7432.JPG
Well done Duffield - and all the other supporters, here is another picture of the Canal Bridge "as is".
Incidentally, if the North embankment "gap" is not to be filled by the contractors(??) how about a volunteer "Navvies work-in" with spades and wheel barrows-obviously very slow but could make a great TV programme and be very cheap! Would be hard work but a fun filled three months in the Summer....:smile:

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
I'll lend a hand, Phil. I could do with a bit of exercise after Christmas. :p
Well it looks like we might get the job!
Today's visit showed that all the plant (diggers, excavators, dumper trucks) have moved off site. The South car park is levelled and awaiting tarmac. All the edging slabs are in place and there is only a small retaining wall being finished off next to the Preci Spark factory wall. The North abutment still has the scaffold up and there are still about 12 pallets of blue bricks there, but most of the site has been cleared with only a couple of container "rooms/offices".DSCF7504.JPG DSCF7503.JPG DSCF7502.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If something like that does end up happening I’d be interested to get involved too Phil.
Probably unlikely but you never know.

Thanks for the update and photos.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The piles of blue bricks have gone from the North site and the East side of the car park (By the brook) has been "edged". The contractors think the job will be "finished in a couple of weeks". The bridge deck still needs to be waterproofed.DSCF7525.JPG DSCF7524.JPG

AndrewE

Established Member
I believe that there could be icing on the cake too: If the volunteer-hours are tallied up they can be valued and a lump of money got back from HMRC in the form of notional Gift-aid!

Flying Phil

Established Member
Are the pipes or cables on the right-hand side 'active' any more? I read recently that fibre cables had been removed.
I had a look at those on my last visit and they are three old steel tubes with a plastic coating that has largely flaked off. The are encased in concrete blocks at each end. They are not structural as there is a slight bend in them and they sound hollow, so as to what they are/were for I don't know. Could they have had old electric cables running through? Too big and old for those fibre optic cables I think.

mushroomchow

I believe that there could be icing on the cake too: If the volunteer-hours are tallied up they can be valued and a lump of money got back from HMRC in the form of notional Gift-aid!

If that's the case, let's get 200 or so of us to hover around Leicester North for a few months picking weeds and counting the ballast stones, then they can pay for the museum the HLF shafted us over. ;)

John Webb

Established Member
I had a look at those on my last visit and they are three old steel tubes with a plastic coating that has largely flaked off. The are encased in concrete blocks at each end. They are not structural as there is a slight bend in them and they sound hollow, so as to what they are/were for I don't know. Could they have had old electric cables running through? Too big and old for those fibre optic cables I think.
Possibly ducts for railway signalling and communication cables?

Shenandoah

AndyY1951

I've never heard of claiming Gift Aid on volunteer hours - otherwise this would be standard practice on preserved railways.
Maybe it's being confused with volunteer hours counting towards 'matched funding'?

IanH440

When the work recommences to extend from the MML bridge over the PreciSpark carpark does the new structure span the reinstated carpark or is there a degree of rework required again. is this with a new concrete structure or the refurbished bridge sections ex-Reading.

Ian

Flying Phil

Established Member
According to the plans, I believe there will be a couple of blue brick clad prefabricated concrete arches next to the MML bridge on the car park. Then three abutments for the two Reading bridge decks - crossing the car park and then the road, then a couple more arches and onto an embankment to the canal bridge. So there will be cars parked under the arches and first Reading deck.......I think.

AndrewE

Established Member
I've never heard of claiming Gift Aid on volunteer hours - otherwise this would be standard practice on preserved railways.
Maybe it's being confused with volunteer hours counting towards 'matched funding'?
That's quite possible...

mr_jrt

Established Member
I've done volunteer work before and I think match funding was the reason stated for us signing in and out so our hours could be claimed.

L&Y Robert

Possibly ducts for railway signalling and communication cables?
They terminate in a huge concrete blocks, plainly cast in situ. What on earth for? If the tubes just have (had?) wires inside where did the wires go inside the block? It's gottabe down into the ground somehow. It crossed my mind that the concrete might be there to deflect any moving object - a train, say, or a bit of one - so that in that event the cables wouldn't be hurt.

John Webb

Established Member
They terminate in a huge concrete blocks, plainly cast in situ. What on earth for? If the tubes just have (had?) wires inside where did the wires go inside the block? It's gottabe down into the ground somehow. It crossed my mind that the concrete might be there to deflect any moving object - a train, say, or a bit of one - so that in that event the cables wouldn't be hurt.
Perhaps the bridge restoration will reveal what they were for?

Flying Phil

Established Member
I've just seen that Tornado will be coming down to see the Bridge!
The weekend Feb 10/11 it will be pulling 4 trips along the length of the GCR(N) each day. I hope they can cut down some of those bushes on the top of the embankment to make some excellent pictures.

Flying Phil

Established Member
DSCF7529.JPG There is now a steel barrier to stop cars going into the brook! Tarmac is due to be laid on Friday.

This is where Tornado will be coming to - you can see the level of the track following on from the pale grey of the bridge over the road. It would be good if those bushes could be cut back....DSCF7527.JPG DSCF7528.JPG
The scaffolding is still up on the North abutment and there is the intention of moving "some spoil" once the scaffolding is down - so will our "Navvying" be required??

Up Main

I've just seen that Tornado will be coming down to see the Bridge!
The weekend Feb 10/11 it will be pulling 4 trips along the length of the GCR(N) each day. I hope they can cut down some of those bushes on the top of the embankment to make some excellent pictures.

Sadly not at this location before the visit of Tornado. However, over the next two Sundays before Tornado, there are plans to cut back bushes and scrub to open a window on part of the western embankment immediately south of the Woodgate Lane road bridge, north of Barnstone tunnel . All help welcome - GCRN Cutting 'Edge team.