• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

AndyY1951

I think they have already said that work over the Preci-Spark site will be the next part to be worked on? I guess the shed will start when funds are in place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the updates guys. It’s going to get more and more interesting this next couple of years!

Mogulb

AndyCK, I'm curious to know where you found this. It doesn't appear to be on the GCR web-site yet!!! Does the forum have a mole in the CGR? :D
GCRofficial Utube channel. Would be nice if it was on the website though,come on GCR get your act together!!

Flying Phil

Established Member
They are still busy on the site today and the two "Lattice" sections do not seem to have arrived yet.DSCF7343.JPG

wagwan my g

Sorry if anyone has already mentioned this, and sorry if it was the wrong area to post but it's kind of relevant. Is there any plans for the GCRN end in terms of doing it up a bit?

AndyY1951

Surely the best answer is to become a member, so giving them a bit of support, and receiving their magazine 'Driving wheels'? That way you will be kept more up to date.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely the best answer is to become a member, so giving them a bit of support, and receiving their magazine 'Moving wheels'? That way you will be kept more up to date.
I did actually start a thread on the GCRN because I think there are members on here and at the end of the day there are plenty of other threads on different railways and we probably can’t afford to be members of all of them. ;)
Anyway it’s here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/the-great-central-north-information-and-future-plans.196118/

Roast Veg

Established Member
Removal of the external shell continues, though the canal is still blocked as of this morning.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The bridge is now completely uncovered and showing its new paint....I expect the "Lattice" sections to be put back in the New Year and brickwork repairs also to take place. The canal appears to be open for boats again.
No doubt we will find out "What is next" in the near future....DSCF7452.JPG

Malcmal

The bridge is now completely uncovered and showing its new paint....I expect the "Lattice" sections to be put back in the New Year and brickwork repairs also to take place. The canal appears to be open for boats again.
No doubt we will find out "What is next" in the near future....

Last time I saw a river of "chocolate" like that there were Oompa-Loompas dancing around it :lol::lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Fantastic to see!
It’s great isn’t it. I’ve looked at that forlorn bridge so many times over the years and to see it being renovated leaves a very warm feeling.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I've suggested that, when the lattice girders are back and the bridge is finished, they lay 50m of temporary track, do a shed shunt and get a steam locomotive through the engine shed and posed over the canal to kickstart the next section fundraiser.......:D

Yorkshire222

Does anyone know what their plan for the engine shed is? There has to be a through line to get to the bridge which is unlikely to go through the shed but there's little room to run another line by the side of the shed - if you still want to get motor vehicles to the back of the shed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Yorkshire222,
I believe the plan is for the new shed to be to the West of the existing shed right up along the boundary (where the present vehicle access is to the back of the shed. The line to the North will be double track, to the East side of the new shed, on virtually the original layout. However this is only based on scanty information as the plan is still evolving....

Tom6143

Has there been any further update on the project, last post on website is from 30th October and last video mid November.

Flying Phil

Established Member
No "official" updates but I hope to pop to the GCR and along the canal tomorrow......