GCR Bridge Project

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Flying Phil, 18 Apr 2016.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Well Spring will be good!
    But I still feel there could be more regular updates - even if the news is of delays, there must be other bits of progress to sweeten the pot.....

2. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Progress!
    There are now some High Vis clad workers clearing the site of the Southern abutment. This it to allow machinery to access, for pile driving, then concrete pouring for the foundations. The timescale is approx 6 months and the bridge deck is being fabricated now. Following on from this will be the refurb of the canal bridge - another, approx four month, job.

Attached Files:

3. AndyW33

AndyW33 Member

To be followed by the bridges over Railway Terrace and the Preci-Spark car park access road, and the long section of missing embankment. This is a long term project...

4. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Great to see. Thanks for the updates.

5. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Andy - you are quite correct it certainly will be a long term project - three or four years I would think......But the desire for reunification goes back to the 80's I think, so it is fantastic to actually now have "Boots on the Ground!".
    Cowley - Thanks - I will be visiting fairly regularly so will keep the updates coming.

6. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

The South abutment vegetation has been cleared and now there is much more work going on on the North abutment site. An excavator, large tipper lorry and dumper truck seem to be very busy.

Attached Files:

7. L+Y

L+Y Member

Good to see: and rather surprising there's no announcement on the GCR website!

8. reddragon

reddragon Member

It is a real pity that the GCR do not keep their followers and potential donors up to date with progress.

I read the GWsR blogs and they keep me up to date on work at Broadway Station, track laying on their northern extension and give an opening date & progress on fundraising!

In today's social media world, heritage railways do really need to keep up!

9. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

I agree with L & Y and you re use of social media for regular updates. I can understand that some developments are confidential/commercially sensitive etc but when there is visible progress, for all local to see, I am very surprised that it is not promoted in real time.

10. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

I visited the bridge site again today and they are still working on the North abutment area. It is still the tracked JCB excavator moving hardcore around to form a solid base for the heavier plant to do the piling and concrete laying, which is believed to be very soon...

11. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

As many will know there has been a press release about the bridge but it is not (yet?) on the GCR website.
    On my visit today it appears that the prep work is now complete and the next phase - pile driving? is yet to start.

12. L+Y

L+Y Member

I don't suppose you have a link to it...?

13. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Hopefully here is the scanned press release to "The Railway Magazine" this month and a small pic of bridge design. Click on to enlarge.

Attached Files:

14. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Thanks Phil, appreciate being updated. So good to see this happening. The snowball gathers pace... :)

15. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Thanks Cowley
    I had a very nice trip behind the SR "Q" 0-6-0 this morning, enjoying a GCR breakfast and watching the countryside go by in the bright morning sunshine. The train was well patronised and Sir Lamiel was also in steam, together with the Jinty tank on driver experience I believe.
    Whilst at Loughborough, I went up to the shed and saw that the LMS work area has been cleared and a railway crane is on the track with some old coaching stock - there has also been a general tidy up so access to the canal bridge is easier for the refurbishment of that, and then access to the embankment itself - eventually.

16. AndyW33

AndyW33 Member

Just for the record, the Jinty wasn't on Driver Experience - the GC don't use tank locos for this. In fact it was being used on day 2 of three days of training for firemen - that's firemen to work on the GC itself.

17. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Thanks for that correction Andy.
    There was also the three car DMU running so that meant - on a "quiet" weekend, After a Gala, there was a lot happening on the GCR

18. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Bridge site still quiet this week - it seems that there is an outstanding access agreement? causing the delay.

19. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Situation on North bridge site was unchanged earlier this week - but there is an update on the GCR website saying more news very soon.

20. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Sadly there appears to be still no more progress on site as of this Monday...