• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
As reported on the other GCR thread, work is being undertaken on the canal bridge at present - a fence/frame/scaffold has been assembled presumably as a structural aid.

Flying Phil

Established Member
It is now difficult to get a clear picture because of all the activity! But it looks like the scaffold will have a substantial roof as well.DSCF8300.JPG

Roast Veg

Established Member
I would have thought the best viewing angle would be from the towpath at this point, or with a good zoom from the road bridge. Glad to see it's all taking off all fo a sudden.

Roast Veg

Established Member
There's now a large white plastic barrier at least on the north side, and possibly on the other side and top as well. Needed this morning with all the rain!

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is now a short video update of the Canal Bridge current work, on the GCR website.

AndyY1951

I wonder why the video has to be so ridiculously short?
Once somebody is there with a video camera, it would be just as easy to upload a ten minute video showing everything in greater detail. It's another example of the GCR being very poor at providing information and keeping contributors and potential contributors happy.

Andy

Trainsnotbuses

In passing this morning, I could see a jcb working on the northern embankment. Is work starting on linking that to the new bridge now?

Flying Phil

Established Member
In passing this morning, I could see a jcb working on the northern embankment. Is work starting on linking that to the new bridge now?
That is more good news! In the latest "Reunification" leaflet, it does mention that work may well be occurring at "multiple sites operating at once" if the "...income can support that".

Flying Phil

Established Member
Well I popped along this afternoon and there are actually two JCBs and two big tipper lorries....and they have been busy! The spoil heap from the "paddock" field has completely gone and the existing embankment is now higher and longer. The "gap" to the North abutment is about halved!DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

AndyY1951

Does it look like they are actually rebuilding the embankment, or is it the only place to put the spoil to remove it from the other party's land where it was allowed to be stored temporarily? It may all have to come out again as the project progresses...……...

Flying Phil

Established Member
There you go Roast Veg..... The Canal Bridge is now fully enclosed........ and there are sounds of grit blasting.DSCF0006.JPG

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Does it look like they are actually rebuilding the embankment, or is it the only place to put the spoil to remove it from the other party's land where it was allowed to be stored temporarily? It may all have to come out again as the project progresses...……...
There is now a statement on the GCR website which says the spoil is not in its final position. I suspect that the new embankment, being higher will need a wider footprint, and slightly further to the East - which brings it too close to the brook and so either retaining wall or piles may need to be in position before the embankment?

Flying Phil

Established Member
The MML embankment to the North of the bridge is now nice and tidy.DSCF6529.JPG
I suspect they need to keep the short gap to allow access to the brook, will they need to have a small access tunnel through the embankment in the future, as the original bridge did have that unused Northern span?

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
To put the "Gap" project into context, there is a good "N" gauge model that the "Friends of the GCR" use as part of their event stand. This picture shows where the new bridge over the Midland Main Line is situated and where the next bridges/arches will be built.DSCF6537.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To put the "Gap" project into context, there is a good "N" gauge model that the "Friends of the GCR" use as part of their event stand. This picture shows where the new bridge over the Midland Main Line is situated and where the next bridges/arches will be built.View attachment 61516
That’s good.
Needs an N gauge brake van on the bridge... ;)

Spartacus

Established Member
A 158 on the Up fast! I should hope not.

Points failure at Syston. ;)

In fact, last week the last Nottingham - Leicester was booked on the Up Fast to engineering works, and was usually a 158, but it's not what you'd call 'normal'.

I'm a little more concerned about the coal train going down the Up Slow, but then again they could be going into Brush for traction motors fitting! :lol:

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
......guards van, 158, coal train fettling.......details, details! :E
What about those excellent blue brick faced arches that will be a superb photographic location - so typical of the GCR going through to London.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Points failure at Syston. ;)

In fact, last week the last Nottingham - Leicester was booked on the Up Fast to engineering works, and was usually a 158, but it's not what you'd call 'normal'.

I'm a little more concerned about the coal train going down the Up Slow, but then again they could be going into Brush for traction motors fitting! :lol:
To be fair the last train of the day from Nottingham to Leicester runs on the fast instead of the slow (or it used to at least), and I sped along that in a 153 last time.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The latest news about the Canal bridge is that the repairs are going well but the North end will need to be jacked up to repair the section that rests on the abutment. This will probably have to wait until Autumn time as the canal needs to be kept open during the Summer.

Roast Veg

Established Member
It's difficult to track progress on it from a distance as the great white cover hasn't moved since it was erected, but I'm glad to hear that the bridge didn't fall apart after a bit of sandblasting.

Roast Veg

Established Member
The great white cover was dismantled yesterday (07/05/19), presumably marking the end of the sandblasting. Now we wait for the end of the summer season I suppose.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The canal bridge has had quite a lot of work done and the top of the three steel girders has been shot blasted and coated in a heavy duty grey plastic/paint. There are still some steel repairs to do on the lower vertical plates and the brickwork will need extensive attention.DSCF6605.JPG DSCF6604.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow. That’s starting to look very good indeed.

Tom6143

The canal bridge has had quite a lot of work done and the top of the three steel girders has been shot blasted and coated in a heavy duty grey plastic/paint. There are still some steel repairs to do on the lower vertical plates and the brickwork will need extensive attention.View attachment 62880 View attachment 62881
Great images thank you for updates. Any idea on the timescale when the steel repairs are likely to be carried out? Cant wait to see steam passing over the canal will be a brilliant site

CarltonA

There are still some steel repairs to do on the lower vertical plates and the brickwork will need extensive attention.

If they need a GCR coping stone there is at least one lying in the undergrowth near Claydon Junction. The abutments were removed but it was left behind somehow. Just joking, it is rather heavy or I would have purloined it for my garden.

AndyY1951

I'm surprised that all the ballast or whatever it is covering the deck hasn't been scraped away. How is the bridge constructed, is it a flat steel deck?
Andy