• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Diesel Gala (12/13/14 May 2006)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

The Great Central Railway will be hosting a bumper three day classic traction Diesel Gala over the weekend of the 13th and 14th May 2006, an enhanced timetable of trains running every 40 minutes from Loughborough to Leicester North will also be present on Friday 12th May 2006.

Friday 12th May 2006
- Departures every 40 minutes from Loughborough to Leicester North
- Regular DMU service from Loughborough to Rothley
- D5185 (Class 25), D6535 (Class 33), 37255, D5830 (Class 31) and 101 DMU in passenger service
- Evening Beerex on the Friday, operated by D5185 (Class 25) and 25265
- Drive a loco with the D5830 (Class 31) (2 trips) and 37255 (2 trips).

Saturday 13th May 2006
- Intensive Timetable utilising our double track
- Mix of express and local services
- D6535 (Class 33), D5185 (Class 25), 37255, D7105 (Class 47), D8098+D8048 (Double Headed Class 20s), D5830 (Class 31), D123 (Class 45) and 25265 and 4CIG 1393 (hauled)** all in operation on passenger services
- Extra evening services on Saturday, operated by D5185 (Class 25) and D6535 (Class 33)

Sunday 14th May 2006
- Intensive Timetable utilising our double track
- Mix of express and local services
- D6535 (Class 33), D5185 (Class 25), 37255, D7105 (Class 47), D8098+D8048 (Double Headed Class 20s), D5830 (Class 31), D123 (Class 45), 25265 and 4CIG 1393 (hauled)** all in operation on passenger services

Diesel Locomotives & Units
English Electric (Type 1) Class 20 D8048
English Electric (Type 1) Class 20 D8098
English Electric (Type 2) Class 25 D5185
English Electric (Type 2) Class 25 25265
Brush Engineering (Type 2) Class 31 D5830
BRCW (Type 3) Class 33 D6535*
English Electric (Type 3) Class 37 37255
British Railways (Type 4) Class 45 D123
Brush Engineering (Type 4) Class 47 D1705
Metro Cammel (DMMU) Class 101 No's. E50321 & E51427
British Railways (4CIG) Class 421 (42)1393**

Timetables not yet available, however there are likely to be many departures from Loughborough utilising our double track. More information will be provided when it is released.

Fares
Adult: £17.50
Child/Senior Citizen: £11.50
Family 1: £25
Family 2: £35
Privilage Rate Adult/Senior Citizen: £10
Privilage Rate Child: £6.50
***Special 2 and 3 day tickets will also be available:***
2 Day all Day Travel: £30
3 Day all day Travel: £40

Working Timetable booklets will be sold at Booking Offices and also at the Loughborough Souvenir shop, not only do these offer the passenger more information on train services but also an insight into the locomotives used. These are an excellent souvenir from your visit at the Great Central Railway.

* Locomotive No.D6535 appears courtesy of the National Railway Museum
** Subject to confirmation at this stage

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
I'll be there on saturday when the Double Track is been utilised.;)

Galvanize

I'm really considering this one, as it's pretty easy for me to get to (From London but still).

The train ticket to get me there comes to a decent ₤8 :) That even includes going back in FC (only ₤5- WHAT A BARGAIN!!!), probably a 222 which i'm not too sure about. I bet MML advance tickets were made to try and get more passengers to travel on the new 9 car murd-I mean Meridians and to appreciate the "Rail travel is sooo cheap" approach.

Anyway, would getting to Loughborough by 11:00 and leaving at 18:20 give me enough time to ride most of-if not all the specials?
When the timetable for the event is released, I'll plan the day around it :)

I'm looking foward to going there already :)

Galvanize

Crompton and CIG is my cuppa' tea, being from the southern region, I've grown up around them. Albeit it's a SWT CIG not a Connex or even NSE one :(, the 33s remind me of memories of going to Hither Green depot in the 90s :)

Shame I'm too young to drink the beer ;)

I do see that 73003 isn't running/included in the lineup :(

Nick

Galvanize said:
I'm really considering this one, as it's pretty easy for me to get to (From London but still).

The train ticket to get me there comes to a decent ₤8 :) That even includes going back in FC (only ₤5- WHAT A BARGAIN!!!), probably a 222 which i'm not too sure about. I bet MML advance tickets were made to try and get more passengers to travel on the new 9 car murd-I mean Meridians and to appreciate the "Rail travel is sooo cheap" approach.

Anyway, would getting to Loughborough by 11:00 and leaving at 18:20 give me enough time to ride most of-if not all the specials?
When the timetable for the event is released, I'll plan the day around it :)

I'm looking foward to going there already :)

I'd suspect the last daytime departure at about 5pm, so you should have plenty of time to ride one of the last services to Leicester and back before walking back to Loughborough Midland. As soon as I have further information, naturally I will share it with you as I hope to be seeing as many of you as possible....as Alex has said the Rats (D5185 will be making it's first Passenger run at the GCR over this event I believe so I'm looking forward to that) and 37 are excellent (may I just say that the 37 we have is cracking and it will be leaving us shortly for the Cambrian Line Trials - so ride her while you can!!) Plus theres a 4CIG for all you Southerners who might get a little homesick ;)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Sounds like a good day!

Having just missed the 1960's Gala by not knowing about it soon enough, I think I will try and do my best to visit for this event :)

Galvanize

Thanks Nick :)

looks like I'll be meeting lots of people on the 13th :)

oh and by the way, Southern might be coming too (for the CIG mainly ;))

David

Established Member
Lewisham, just look out for 2 people window hanging while drinking beer. That will probably be me and Alex :lol:

Nick

Harry Potter said:
Lewisham, just look out for 2 people window hanging while drinking beer. That will probably be me and Alex :lol:

And I'll be the one in the hat telling them off ;):p

Fare Update
Special 2 and 3 day tickets will also be available:
2 Day all Day Travel: £30
3 Day all day Travel: £40

Tomnick

Established Member
I'll be thinking of you all, enjoying your beer. Just don't forget the poor chappy stuck in the signalbox keeping the railway running ;).

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sould be a good event, with a variety of traction and a loco making a comeback after several years out of traffic. The GCR is one line which is actually increasing its use of diesels, more running days and an extra gala. They have an enthusiastic team organising things, hopefully people will pay them back by supporting the event.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Just wondering, is any form of student discount fare available for this gala? I know I took advantage of a student fare before, but that was for a mid-week running day not a gala.

AlexS

Established Member
Don't worry Nick, like every stoat, treat and mess there, we'll be sure to ignore any and all safety related advice :) .

Fair Cop Guv, I'll buy a round, that ale is top notch.

Tom, which box you working, be sure to say hi!

AlexS

Established Member
Lewisham2221 said:
Just wondering, is any form of student discount fare available for this gala? I know I took advantage of a student fare before, but that was for a mid-week running day not a gala.

Can always try I guess! Doesn't seem to be on the official price list, but also doesn't say no, so bring some ID along anyway and you might get the Friends rate.

Tomnick

Established Member
For the diseasel gala, you'll find me in Rothley box from 1500 on Friday, and Loughborough box from 1500 on Saturday and from 1400 on Sunday - I've got no doubt that it'll be slightly chaotic, but do pop in to say hi!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Im possibly interested although it is the weekend before my exams

Tomnick

Established Member
AlexS said:
I'll be up on Saturday, I'll drop in and see you for sure - David will be happy, he wants some pictures of the frame I believe :D
Have a look at these - that might keep him going for now ;).

Guinness

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Have a look at these - that might keep him going for now ;).

Nice pictures, perhaps you could presuade someone at PCRail Heritage to create some kind of simulation ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A meet will be organised for this, for a meet at approx 11:00, finishing by 17:30. Keep an eye out in forum meets for it shortly.

For those heading north, there is a direct HST to Donny/Leeds at 17:51 ;)

RJ

Established Member
If I come I will be hogging the window behind the locos ;)
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
I'm definitely going!

David

Established Member
joea1 said:
If I come I will be hogging the window behind the locos ;)
Ahem... You'll have to get past me and Alex first... :lol:

(When we are not propping up the bar that is)

Guinness

Established Member
Harry Potter said:
(When we are not propping up the bar that is)

That means you can get your window joea1, without any interruption what so ever, they're always at that bloody bar. ;)

AlexS

Established Member
If you manage to make it past the top men, you've got us to attend to :D

We have David from Scunthorpe, his liking for Tetley's Bitter belies a certain afficionado for taking pictures from droplights.

We have Alex from Wolverhampton. 16 stone and taller than yuuuuu.

Try and beat us, and diiiiie.

Not to mention all the real top men instead of us part timers will be more than happy to set you on fire and throw you out the window :)

Mr Alexanders, try and take my window (even if you get it first fair and square) and I'll spoil your day by....... pinching your nose! mwahaahahhaha. Or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.