• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR diesel gala 13-14 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOVER29

Anyone doing this gala this weekend?
I was going on Saturday as it’s very local to me but due to being off work due to a mysterious stomach infection that the wonderful nhs can’t get to the bottom of (sorry no pun intended) despite several tests I don’t want to risk it by getting caught short so to speak.
Was only doing it for 50017 Royal Oak.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HOOVER29

Just noticed that the long rock open day at Penzance is this weekend. Might hit the GCR attendance figures. Was wondering why a fair few notable photographers were down in Devon/Cornwall yesterday. No it makes sense.

Peter C

Established Member
The Long Rock Open Day is the place to go to buy tickets for the last GWR HST, if you are interested. I'm sure that there is another thread on here about it.

-Peter

87electric

I was at the Gala on Saturday and it was well attended. The first 50 turns were wedged. Really enjoyed the day. There has always been an old time ambience at this railway and offers a whole lot more than loco moves.

KevinTurvey

I was there too and it was a good day overall. I always enjoy the service frequency they do at these events.

I also overheard the 31 is away to new pastures, is this true?

satisnek

My own thought was that the chilly east wind would keep people away, but this certainly wasn't the case. Very busy on the Saturday when I went, a marked contrast to this time last year. The 50 was clearly the main attraction, but for me the highlight was when it was dead on the rear of the first 'beerex' out of Loughborough, with two carriage sets coupled together and the 31 thrashing its balls off getting slowly up to speed - just like the old days!

Just one little negative observation though - I noticed that all the GCR's shops and refreshment facilities were closed by four o'clock. This may be OK on normal running days but it doesn't look good on gala weekends when the various society fundraising stalls continue trading after this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.