• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR(N) Nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
What does everyone know about this place then? Seeing as a few of you are GCR volunteers, thought you might know a thing or two about the Nottigham bit!

Planning to go for a blast on 25279 this Saturday, anyone else in attendence?

Number 10 bus from Nottingham by the looks of it, does this go from outside the station, claims from Carrington Street on Travelline, multimap shows this as basically outside. At the other end, does it go past the Ruddington place or have i got to bail off somewhere?

How is it rated by everyone as a day out?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Aye Nicks the man you want.

I know little about the line sadly however I do plan to visit one day!

http://www.nthc.co.uk/gcrn has something to do with it. :)

Oh BTW its War Weekend this weekend (GCR South) featuring 3 Steam Locos and the 33+CIG. RAF Flyovers, Tanks, 70+ Wartime Vehicles - Recreating the true wartime atmosphere! ;)

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
Oh BTW its War Weekend this weekend (GCR South) featuring 33+CIG.
I take it you want the CIG for it's number of coaches rather than it actually fitting into the weekend?

Tomnick

Established Member
Coxster said:
I take it you want the CIG for it's number of coaches rather than it actually fitting into the weekend?
That's the impression I get - we need something that can turn back easily at Rothley, and four's better than two ;).

AlexS

Established Member
It's only working 'relief' shuttles anyway, and what with it usually being very busy, and it going to be very bloody hot, having a bigger train to spread the passengers out on is a far better idea (even if it looks totally stupid on a 1940s day!)

Nick

Lewisham2221 said:
Nick's the guy to ask about this place I think.

IIRC he's spent the last few weeks tinkering with that 25.

Mmmmm, Baby Sulzer :D
Incase you didn't already know, D7629 Or with it's TOPS number 25279 has it's own website at www.d7629.com

The timetables for the weekend for the "big" trains can also be found on that website, the stock it is hoped will be the Air Braked GatEx set, although that is subject to availability.

Saturday the train will run from the Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre to Rushcliffe Halt via 50 Steps Junction.

Sunday's service will run from the Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre to Loughborough Junction via 50 Steps Junction and Rushcliffe Halt.

I recently got involved with the Diesel Group there and have been helping get D7629 back to service, for me the test run at the end of May made it all worth while and I'm looking forward to being with it on Sunday and seeing it take the GatExs out.

Incidently. Nottinghan City Transport drivers will be on strike again on Saturday so any services by them will not be running, hence you will have to use the every 30 minutes Trent Barton bright pink Solo known as "The Ruddington Conenction" which will take about 20 minutes to get to Ruddington village. From there it is another 20 minutes down Kirk Lane to the A60 where we are on the right hand sight of the A60 in the County Park. However we are brown signposted so it shouldn't be hard to find us.

Although I won't be there on Saturday, since I will be at GCR's War Weekend Photographing the event I am at the GCRN on Sunday. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your day at the GCRN and any further help you need or anything else you want to know please contact me.

Guinness

Established Member
Coxster said:

Correct. To avoid the crush onto the DMU.

Established Member
Ok, thanks for all input. Nick indeed is the man with the gen!
Gatwick stock sounds interesting, havn't had a rodent on coffins, might get a bit sticky in the afternoon though...

I won't comment on the bloody bus strike!

Established Member
Just got back from an excellent day out. Would recommend the line to anyone, a rat thrashing away to itself all day in glorious sunshine and the comfort of Mk1 First Compos....

Nick

Glad you enjoyed the day dude.
The next diesel running day is July 9th 2006, trains will be running over 9 miles to Loughborough North Junction and then back again, a round trip of about 20 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.