• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR (North) - Double Track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
I guess when the bridge connects them both, the whole lot will just be known as GCR; especially after a few years of merging things together.

I understand the northern section isn't double tracked.

Is this a possibility (space wise)?

I guess the bridge won't be double tracked?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
The whole of the GC was built as a double-track main line, so there should be the space. But the new bridge over the MML is only single track as the expense of making it two-track would have been too much, I understand. There are also constraints on the space available on the Loughborough side of the bridge. Flying Phil's thread on the GCR Bridge project gives much of the detail.

Mogulb

Quite possible to redouble all of the route from north of MML to Ruddington, no obstructions at all. From an engineering point of view it would be very simple just need loads of track, ballast and signalling. Of course the minor matter of money will determine wether it ever happens!

Worf

Quite possible to redouble all of the route from north of MML to Ruddington, no obstructions at all. From an engineering point of view it would be very simple just need loads of track, ballast and signalling. Of course the minor matter of money will determine wether it ever happens!

How about the bit near East Leake where a developer "pinched" some of the trackbed and it is now NIMBYs gardens? Only just wide enough for single track.

duffield

Established Member
How about the bit near East Leake where a developer "pinched" some of the trackbed and it is now NIMBYs gardens? Only just wide enough for single track.

Build the railway right through the end of the garden and challenge them to take you to court and show the deeds proving ownership of the land. :E

(Yes, I know it's not that simple, 'adverse possesion' possible or some such thing).

Mogulb

You sure? Houses in East Leake were built on the old goods yard, the track is insitu and in use on the east side of the formation.

I suspect you are confusing East Leake with the old station site at Ruddington where the houses are very close to the formation. There is room if the GCR is ever extended to the tram line for a single track to the west side.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guess when the bridge connects them both, the whole lot will just be known as GCR; especially after a few years of merging things together.

I understand the northern section isn't double tracked.

Is this a possibility (space wise)?

I guess the bridge won't be double tracked?

Don’t make the same mistake that I did a couple of years ago by presuming that both railways will become one single entity after a few years.
They are both very much separate operations that have worked extremely hard to build up what they have.
The GCR has obviously had a couple of decades head start and the David Clarke legacy (amongst other things) to get it the point it currently is.
Having visited the GCRN this year though I was very impressed by how much it had moved on since I last went on it about ten years earlier.
The track looks in really good shape as well as the lineside etc.
There’s loads of work going at Ruddington too. But they are very different railways despite sharing different parts of the same route.

alexl92

Established Member
On the note of Cowley’s post, is there a plan in place to integrate the two railways and operate as one, or will they continue to run separately with occasional joint events in the short-medium term?

Flying Phil

Established Member
I'm sure that the two railways will be co operating closely but continue as two separate entities playing to their different strengths. Time will tell! Great that they are both making good progress.

E50019

As someone involved in the GCR for over 25 years this very much seems a GCR extending north project, how that's received by the north I don't know, may be I'm wrong but that's how I understand this to be. Also remembering in recent history the GCR lost quite a lot of people for various reasons to the north, I think its going to be a big political issue to resolve who operates what to where and when, and I wish the management of both parties all the luck in the world.

I can see a double track section north of Loughborough being created but that needs infrastructure at the end, reversal of trains into Ruddington won't permit intensive timetables so the value of the double track is questioned unless significant capacity improvements are done to facilitate it, I think the GCR needs to improve the Leicester north section first, second platform and signalling to permit 2 trains at the station, this being the bottle neck at present when operating intensive timetables, it takes 30-35 mins rothley - LN - Rothley, working absolute block could potentially halve that with double track...

Peter Kelford

I'd love to see double track on the entire line from Leicester to Nottingham. Whilst I realise that we are more than edging into 'speculative ideas', I would go as far as suggesting a 60-minute morning/evening commuter service with ex-mainline Mk3s and diesels. If the full potential of the GCR's 75mph clearance and were to be used in conjunction with GCR(N) upgrades, it might be a matter of 40 minutes instead of 60 to 70, with a single stop a Loughbrough. If the GCR were to become a regular passenger carrying line, it would certainly allow the GCR to recoup some of its costs. A season ticket on EMT costs £2000. If GCR charged £1500>, perhaps passengers might take the train.

AndyW33

I'd love to see double track on the entire line from Leicester to Nottingham. Whilst I realise that we are more than edging into 'speculative ideas', I would go as far as suggesting a 60-minute morning/evening commuter service with ex-mainline Mk3s and diesels. If the full potential of the GCR's 75mph clearance and were to be used in conjunction with GCR(N) upgrades, it might be a matter of 40 minutes instead of 60 to 70, with a single stop a Loughbrough. If the GCR were to become a regular passenger carrying line, it would certainly allow the GCR to recoup some of its costs. A season ticket on EMT costs £2000. If GCR charged £1500>, perhaps passengers might take the train.
Sounds great, but the "entire line from Leicester to Nottingham" won't ever be that. At the southern end the line terminates at Leicester North, aka Belgrave and Birstall, about 3 miles from the city centre. Can't get any further south as the infrastructure has effectively been destroyed between there and the site of Leicester Central Station.
At the northern end the line terminates at Ruddington, via a reversal into the heritage centre site. This is about 6 miles from the city centre by road. Now surviving alignments north of Ruddington are used in sections by the NET tram services, and the nearest tram stop at Ruddington Lane is only about a mile as the crow flies from the Heritage Centre. Unfortunately there's no direct road or footpath.

Peter Kelford

Sounds great, but the "entire line from Leicester to Nottingham" won't ever be that. At the southern end the line terminates at Leicester North, aka Belgrave and Birstall, about 3 miles from the city centre. Can't get any further south as the infrastructure has effectively been destroyed between there and the site of Leicester Central Station.
At the northern end the line terminates at Ruddington, via a reversal into the heritage centre site. This is about 6 miles from the city centre by road. Now surviving alignments north of Ruddington are used in sections by the NET tram services, and the nearest tram stop at Ruddington Lane is only about a mile as the crow flies from the Heritage Centre. Unfortunately there's no direct road or footpath.

I realise that, just a good dose of wishful thinking...

Roast Veg

Established Member
I really do wish there were a better pedestrian connection to the NET at Ruddingto, hopefully it's not too far in the future plans.

Neen Sollars

Build the railway right through the end of the garden and challenge them to take you to court and show the deeds proving ownership of the land. :E

(Yes, I know it's not that simple, 'adverse possesion' possible or some such thing).

I think adverse possession is common law. Railways were built after obtaining an Act of Parliament, no adverse possession when someone is trespassing on railway land. So your statement is not far off if the developer used land to which they were not entitled. The dispute in the circs you outline would be between the developer and the householders after the land had been reclaimed. Are you sure the railway did not sell the land to the developer? However I am not a lawyer so would not know the absolute legal position.

Up Main

You sure? Houses in East Leake were built on the old goods yard, the track is insitu and in use on the east side of the formation.

I suspect you are confusing East Leake with the old station site at Ruddington where the houses are very close to the formation. There is room if the GCR is ever extended to the tram line for a single track to the west side.

Pictures from 2018 at East Leake Station illustrate the topic.

Attachments

• Bridge 312 East Leake Station looking north. Houses built on the old goods yard.JPG
    Bridge 312 East Leake Station looking north. Houses built on the old goods yard.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 47292 with the ex Ruddington heading for L'boro Junction.JPG
    47292 with the ex Ruddington heading for L'boro Junction.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 96
  • Down line trackbed looking north.JPG
    Down line trackbed looking north.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 98

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for those pictures Up Main.
They would seem to show that a second line could be put in, as the house gardens are next to the existing running line and the old double track is on the un-used side?

Up Main

Thanks for those pictures Up Main.
They would seem to show that a second line could be put in, as the house gardens are next to the existing running line and the old double track is on the un-used side?

There is no physical impediment to reintsating the former down line formation, anywhere, from the new GCR MML bridge at Loughborough, through to Ruddington, other than clearing the vegetation and of course all the bridge structures being of sufficent standards.

Attachments

• Looking south East Leake down platform and formation. 2019.JPG
    Looking south East Leake down platform and formation. 2019.JPG
    498.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Looking south to bridge 313 Woodgate Rd. Feb 2019.JPG
    Looking south to bridge 313 Woodgate Rd. Feb 2019.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 58
  • Looking north adjacent the houses on the old goods yard. Tall signal post still extant Feb 2019.JPG
    Looking north adjacent the houses on the old goods yard. Tall signal post still extant Feb 2019.JPG
    474.2 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.