• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR oppose housing developement at Loughborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
I was reading in rail staff today how the GCR is oppossing the proposed developement of houses in close proximity to Loughborough Central.
They say that the house owners will not want to live next to a steam railway and that it would ruin tha atmosphere for visitors
They also said that it would take away the railways surrounding image which has helped it secure filming contracts in the past

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

Whats anoying is despite over 80 letters aganist the proposed the developements, Mather Jamie, the developers have said in regard to nussiance neighbours "Many people will want to live next to a steam railway" and to the film work "Modern computers can edit out our buildings". I just hope the Council don't agree to this shortsited answer.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
If the houses are built, I wonder how many of the people who move in will end up complaining about the steam railway :roll:

TheSlash

Established Member
Well i think part of the purchase contract should be that the residents can't complain about any part of railway operations that occur within reasonable railway operating time say 07:30 to 19:30 on normal days and this is adapted to suite any evening service and its associated workings {berthing the engine etc}
In comparison, if Network Rail is carrying out engineering work of any kind during unsociable hours, it has to issue "Noise notices" to local residents. This gives the expected time and date of the disturbing noise expected
Its just a shame that they didnt issue them when the Speno rail grinder kept a member of their staff awake for an extra 2 hours 1 night

Coxster

Established Member
The railway shouldn't really have a choice. People need homes and the buyers will see what they're getting for their money anyway.

Simming

But people think that they where there first. Farms have been closed, that have been there for years, because some toff has moved in from a city, and the smell and noise from the farm has bothered them, so they shut it down.

The same goes for railways, Penzance, for example, they cant leave a HST Idling, cause the people have complained about the noise. LIVE WITH IT, you moved there, you should expect the noise!

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Simming said:
But people think that they where there first. Farms have been closed, that have been there for years, because some toff has moved in from a city, and the smell and noise from the farm has bothered them, so they shut it down.

The same goes for railways, Penzance, for example, they cant leave a HST Idling, cause the people have complained about the noise. LIVE WITH IT, you moved there, you should expect the noise!

That's exactly my point. No matter how obvious it is that there is a steam railway running past the end of the back garden, there are always people who will still complain.

rbruce1314

Marv said:
That's exactly my point. No matter how obvious it is that there is a steam railway running past the end of the back garden, there are always people who will still complain.

Only just read this thread. At Minehead a whole mini-estate of houses was built right near the line at Seaward Way a couple of years ago. Now OUR ops notices remind us not to sound whistles (even when shunting the yard can you believe) or make excessive noise in the yard so as not to cause nuisance to the neighbours!

Tom B

Established Member
What happened to "safety first"? If someone was injured whilst in the yard because trains couldn't whistle...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
The railway shouldn't really have a choice. People need homes and the buyers will see what they're getting for their money anyway.

Yes but there's loads of homes up north, some have to be demolished only for houses to be built in places that are not suitable, and make some areas totally overcrowded. It's madness!

Tom B

Established Member
This policy of demolishing houses in Liverpewl and Manchester is utter madness - there was a BBC report a while ago in which they did some sums and worked out you could renovate a house to modern standards for under £50k. Compared to the hundreds of thousands knocking down and building a fresh one... and why build houses in the South East? I know they think it's the centre of the universe, but overcrowding down there will just get worse and worse... Still, there will still be plenty of room around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.