• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Reopening

Status
Not open for further replies.

C37

Went on the first train since closure in March. Running from Woodhouse to Leicester North and back.
The compartment was £11 for myself and a little one (less expensive than a ticket on the mainline) I think a very reasonable price.

Sadly Loughborough station is still shut as the coaches are cleaned there, which is a shame as it is always good to go and have a look at the goings on at the shed. Still, the static Black 5 and Class 37 at Woodhouse was a very nice touch, with a rare opportunity to get on the footplate.
Masks had to be worn on the platforms but were allowed to be removed in the compartments. I wonder if this will continue in the future as other railways don't require masks outside on platforms?
One way system on the coaches worked well.

All in all an enjoyable day and a big well done to all the volunteers who have adapted and put in measures, they seemed as happy to be back as I was (and assured the passengers that they were smiling behind their masks!)
If you want to ride the train (and I thoroughly reccomend) you do need to purchase a ticket on line in advance.

Hopefully there will be many more events in the weeks and months to come and one day we can get back to roaming the stations.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scrotnig

I don’t understand why Loughborough has to be closed.

It’s a big place. There must surely be somewhere they can clean the coaches without the need to shut the whole station.

Or is there some other reason I’m missing?

trebor79

Established Member
I don’t understand why Loughborough has to be closed.

It’s a big place. There must surely be somewhere they can clean the coaches without the need to shut the whole station.

Or is there some other reason I’m missing?
Would make more sense to shut Leicester North and clean the coaches there, given there's nothing to do there. I've always thought it's a bit of a barren anticlimactic end to the journey.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's not just for cleaning - Loughborough's access is via a very narrow booking hall and staircase - hopefully it'll be available in one form or another before long but for now controlling safe entry and exit to the station is a problem that requires thought to solve effectively. There is also only one small, slow lift for those who can't use the stairs.

As baby steps are still being taken and we are learning all the time hopefully this will be resolved before too long.

C37

Possibly the car parking situation is what swung it? I guess they wanted passengers to all embark and alight from the same location and Woodhouse/Quorn does have better parking facilities and is the first station down from the shed at Lougborough.
As I said in OP I hope that in time all the stations will open and that we can go back to roaming, I certainly miss a sausage sandwich and a cup of tea with a coal fire burning at Loughborough!
Can only imagine the reams of red tape and government regulations that the volunteers have to follow and the opening weekend will have been testing the water.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Would make more sense to shut Leicester North and clean the coaches there, given there's nothing to do there. I've always thought it's a bit of a barren anticlimactic end to the journey.
Very glad that the railway is slowly but surely being re-opened. I noticed that there is now quite a bit of track being stored at L North, together with some angle iron roof trusses.....could something be happening there soon?

Flying Phil

Established Member
This weekend's passenger trains went well and there was a good, well spaced, number of people at Quorn. The Butler Henderson cafe was busy, as was the beer tent. Witherslack Hall was sparkling in the sunshine hauling 6 coaches. The NER railcar was also running. It was possible to buy tickets on the day, as there were some vacancies on the trains.

Flying Phil

Established Member
DSC00184.JPG
Witherslack Hall arriving at Quorn with 45305 simmering in the yard. Both yard locomotives offering Cab visits for donations.

The GCR are operating steam trains today and tomorrow as part of their "Dino Days" attraction. There are three trains per day with on-line booking. The first two services are sold out (as of 10.30). Hopefully another successful sign of further re-opening progress.
(some glitch as I cannot get this as a separate post....) It seems as though I cannot post a new post until somebody else posts???

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
This weekend's passenger trains went well and there was a good, well spaced, number of people at Quorn. The Butler Henderson cafe was busy, as was the beer tent. Witherslack Hall was sparkling in the sunshine hauling 6 coaches. The NER railcar was also running. It was possible to buy tickets on the day, as there were some vacancies on the trains.

Fantastic news to hear that people are using this railway, which I and many other overseas railfans need to visit. A friend from Oz travelled on it and said it was excellent: that was last year, pre the virus.

Quorn is very difficult for anyone arriving by rail. A one way system entering by the booking office and exiting via the gate by the north signal box would be possible at Loughborough Central.

LowLevel

Established Member
Quorn is very difficult for anyone arriving by rail. A one way system entering by the booking office and exiting via the gate by the north signal box would be possible at Loughborough Central.

Trains have been running to and from Loughborough today and tomorrow which should give an idea of how well it works. The shed gate is problematic as the path to it has extremely poor drainage and has been under several inches of water with the recent poor weather. Not really suitable for the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.