• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Summer Gala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

I've written up my day today on me and Jamies blog http://blog.railuk.org/theporters. It was great to see AlexS, Harry Potter and Zoli all enjoying themselves. I can't really describe what a great day the Saturday was, perhaps the visitors would liek to. Also good to see Tom in a bright yellow coat! complete with his folks. Hope you had fun all! Next gala will be the dirty diesel gala in September (16th-18th) hope more of you can make it then!

Nick.

PS. Alex what the world famouse Great Central Breakfast like ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
My day out on the GCR

My day started a bit later than planned due to being badly a touch hungover. I eventually arrived at the GCR at about 12, following a 2 and a half hour journey. (The M1 was murder, stop-start all the way down.)

A few phone calls later, I met up with Zoltan and Alex. (and Zoltan is a bigger Harry Potter lookalike than me :( )

Our first train was the O4 to Rothley and back, and on the way we met Jamie & Nick at Quorn. That's where Zoltan came out with "Aww. Doesn't he look cute in his waistcoat." We arrived back at Loughbourgh shortly afterwards, and Nick asked "Has anyone seen Harry Potter Yet?" He had only been talking to me, Alex and Zoltan for about 15 minutes.

The second train was the 101 to Rothley again, Zoltan coming out with more weird sayings. On both the outwards & return journey's, we managed to get 'front row seats' (just about a cab ride :D )

Time for lunch. Alex had the All Day Breakfast and a pint, but seeing I was still very rough a touch rough from the night before, I settled for a quick sandwhich and a coffee, and even that was nearly too much...

Train 3 was the Standard 2 going all the way (some heads out past Rothley). Back at Loughbourgh, I had a wander up to the sheds to take some photos and see what was in there, but none of the photos were any good :cry:

Back on the station, Nick found me again, by this time Alex and Zoltan had disappeared to cath their trains home, and it was time for another trip to Leicester, I was hoping for either the Peak or the 20, but suffered disappointment when the Standard couple up again.

Now for the last (for me) & best train. The Beer Ex. :lol: I had been down to the sheds again to get some pictures of the locos being cleaned out at the end of the day (but these didn't come out either), so back to the station to watch the Black 5 couple up (yet more p*** poor quality pictures <( ). When I eventually got served on the train, I took 1 mouthful of my pint of real ale and thought 'I've wasted my money here!' (Yes the beer was that bad!).

But overall a very good day. Now I just need to find one thing out. WHich planet does Zoltan come from? After everything he said, it can't be Earth...

evil_hippo

I have a report on its way, because, although 2 are already in existence, I dide spend longer travelling there and back than I spent at the Gala, and it always makes for some interest when you have a while to wait at Crewe.

Nick

Jim said:
I will be there on the 17th

of August?

I told you not to waste your time on that Slammer tour and to meet us, instead you wasted your money to London and back. Such a shame....ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.