• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Winter Gala 28/29 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
The Great Central Railway's annual Winter Gala is being held over the last weekend in January. And currently has the following lineup.

British Railways Standard 2MT No.78019 (Facing North)
Great Central Railway 8K/LNER O4 No.63601 (Facing South)
London, Midland & Scottish Railway Black 5 No.45305 (Facing South)
Great Western Railway Large Prairie Tank No.4141 (Facing South)
Plus Special Guest Locomotive*

Services between Loughborough and Leicester are expected to be every 45 minutes.

Services between Loughborough and Rothley are expected to be every 10-20 minutes, though certain trains may be formed of the various Freight Train rakes.

Travelling Post Office Mail Exchanges taking place at Quorn during the morning and evening.

A Steam Hauled Private Inspection Saloon in operation on both days.

A Full meal service will be available on the Griddle Car, possibly with a Silver Service First Class Breakfast served on the first train of the day.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/spevents/0106gala.htm

As always locomotive lineup is subject to change and any details published here may vary from the actual event. Watch the website for changed details leading up to the event.

*Rumours suggest LMS 8F No.48305 which is rumoured to return as a permanant resident at the GCR shortly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mod Notice: Moved to Preserved Railways, as it isn't actually a meet. If you want to post rough meeting times for this event, please make a new 'casual' topic in the Forum Meets section.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
PRESS RELEASE
The Great Central is delighted to confirm that locomotive number 80105,
a Standard Class 4 tank engine as a star guest for the Winter Gala -
28th and 29th Jan.

Number 80105 is travelling down from its regular home base, the Bo'ness
and Kinneil railway in Scotland. No date has been given

The engine is likely to stay for around 3 weeks and participate in a
photographic charter.

The visit has been made possible through the good offices of the
engines owning group and the hard work of our shed team.

1K73

Can't see 48305 making it myself.

And

Surely you can do better than that! :P

David

Guinness

Established Member
40445 said:

And

David

Any paticular reason?

Nick

For anyone who is interested the Great Cental Railway's Winter Gala 2006 the fares are as follows for one day of unlimited travel.

Platform Tickets
£5.00***

Adult
£17.50
£10.00 (Privilage Fare)*

Senior
£11.50
£10.00 (Privilage Fare)*

Child
£11.50
£6.50 (Privilage Fare)*

Family (1 Adult and up to 3 Children)**
£25.00

Family (2 Adults and up to 3 Children)**
£35.00

Potential Passenger's are also reminded of "Winter Warmer" offers currently on offer until March 2006 at the Great Central Railway.

*Privilage fare is valid, providing valid proof of membership to the Main Line Steam Trust, Freinds of the Great Central Railway, British Rail Privilage Scheme or similar are shown to the ticket seller.

**Senior Citizens count as an ADULT on this ticket.

***£5.00 confirmed at Quorn and Woodhouse and Rothley Only, fares are redeemable against the price of a train ticket and thus act as a voucher towards them.

1K73

Chaz said:
40445 said:

And

David

Any paticular reason?

Approaching 20 pounds for 5 locos, 4 of which have ran at the line for several years, ran in every gala, and haven't even been renumbered to add variety, and a 'common' standard 4 tank...outrageous price! :shock:

David

Guinness

Established Member
40445 said:
Chaz said:
40445 said:

And

David

Any paticular reason?

Approaching 20 pounds for 5 locos, 4 of which have ran at the line for several years, ran in every gala, and haven't even been renumbered to add variety, and a 'common' standard 4 tank...outrageous price! :shock:

David

£20? Where have you got £20 from? :? If you don't like it - Don't come! ;)

Tomnick

Established Member
To be fair, the GC does seem to be one of the more expensive railways around! I think it's normal for full 'reciprocal' free fares (i.e. working volunteers from other railways) to be withdrawn, but I believe there might still be a substantial discount - i.e. the 'priv' fare.

1K73

Chaz said:
40445 said:
Chaz said:
40445 said:

And

David

Any paticular reason?

David

£20? Where have you got £20 from? :? If you don't like it - Don't come! ;)

Approaching 20

Adult
£17.50

;)

If you don't like it - Don't come!

I WOULD come.....if I could afford it ;). I'm afraid i'll be going to a cheaper line with more variety that weekend....

David

Coxster

Established Member
40445 said:
I WOULD come.....if I could afford it ;). I'm afraid i'll be going to a cheaper line with more variety that weekend....
Where's that, East Lancs? Not been there yet. £5 is a bit exessive for a platform ticket IMHO. Most railways don't charge for people to take photos which ultimately advertises the railway. On some railways you can get an adult ticket for well under the price of a GCR child ticket!

1K73

Coxster said:
40445 said:
Where's that, East Lancs? Not been there yet. £5 is a bit exessive for a platform ticket IMHO. Most railways don't charge for people to take photos which ultimately advertises the railway. On some railways you can get an adult ticket for well under the price of a GCR child ticket!

Possibly the ELR depending on their gala lineup. Possibly the SVR ( who incidentally run as many locos on a normal operating weekend as the GCR are turning out for their gala! )

David

joy54.gen

The ELR is also very expensive when I went there it was approaching 5 quid for a child return between two stations although I think this has changed since I last went. But thankfully the guard was very nice and as I'd come up from London for the Thumper they waved the fare which was nice.

Guinness

Established Member
The ELR is actually more expensive than GCR on normal running days. I must admit though £5 is a lot of a Platform Ticket. Used to be £3...

1K73

Chaz said:
The ELR is actually more expensive than GCR on normal running days. I must admit though £5 is a lot of a Platform Ticket. Used to be £3...

Mainly because we're a longer line Chaz? ;)

David

AlexS

Established Member
Gala ticket prices always make me cringe a little - they cost more than many mainline day rangers, rovers etc, and more than it costs for the journey to the railway reasonably often too! But such is life, I still pay it.

Tom B

Established Member
Guys, can we please not turn this into an inter-railway spat ("My railway turns up more locos than yours, ner ner ner ner ner" etc). We all know the torble they have caused previously. Thanks.

Nick

Chaz said:

If you would of read the small print this is to Quorn and Woodhouse, aswell as Rothley and includes Parking. This is a redeemable voucher against a GCR train ticket.

Guinness

Established Member
Nick said:
Chaz said:

If you would of read the small print this is to Quorn and Woodhouse, aswell as Rothley and includes Parking. This is a redeemable voucher against a GCR train ticket.

You need to make the small print bigger next time. ;)

Jonno2055

Because I don't have a car, it isn't the price on entry, but the train fares to get there, luckily I can still go for a child ticket but when i'm sixteen...

Nick

Jonno2055 said:
Because I don't have a car, it isn't the price on entry, but the train fares to get there, luckily I can still go for a child ticket but when i'm sixteen...

I can't help but agree the ticket from Essex to Leicester/Loughborough must be steep, but surely from London the fare will be tops £12 using the MML advanced ticket?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nick said:
Jonno2055 said:

I can't help but agree the ticket from Essex to Leicester/Loughborough must be steep, but surely from London the fare will be tops £12 using the MML advanced ticket?
The problem is you have to add up the cost of getting to the station (which may be a bus, e.g. in York that's about £2.50!), then various trains, possibly a bus at the other end, and the cost of getting in!

In this case, there's the cost of a ticket to London and then that MML advance (but it may be possible to get MML advance all the way), and the cost of getting in.

It all adds up to a lot of money.

Older people who want to recreate the days of their childhood by going to steam railways will be willing and able to pay a lot of money. But for people who are still at school/college/uni or who are not well paid, it can be rather expensive.

As no preserved lines do Y-P discounts (or similar) I am concentrating on covering lines on the national rail network for now.

AlexS said:
Gala ticket prices always make me cringe a little - they cost more than many mainline day rangers, rovers etc, and more than it costs for the journey to the railway reasonably often too! But such is life, I still pay it.

Same here. But as I go out somewhere on the railways most weeks, and during summer most days if I spent £50 per day, that adds up to a hell of a lot of money. I'll pay whatever sums are needed for one-off things if I think the cost justifies it, but I have to consider "Is this good value?"

Nick

yorkie said:
Nick said:
Jonno2055 said:

The problem is you have to add up the cost of getting to the station (which may be a bus, e.g. in York that's about £2.50!), then various trains, possibly a bus at the other end, and the cost of getting in!

Loughborough Midland to Loughborough Central is a short walk of around 10 minutes and so avoids further cost on the bus. However travelling up to Leicester London Road to Leicester North will require a bus journey which he will be at Child Rate on the Arriva service therefore teh cost being of around 85p or so SINGLE.

yorkie said:
In this case, there's the cost of a ticket to London and then that MML advance (but it may be possible to get MML advance all the way), and the cost of getting in.

It all adds up to a lot of money.

Agreed theres no denial there.

yorkie said:
Older people who want to recreate the days of their childhood by going to steam railways will be willing and able to pay a lot of money. But for people who are still at school/college/uni or who are not well paid, it can be rather expensive.

Indeed, but the money at the Heritage Railway for the ticket helps the railway to stay in business, afterall unlike the real thing, Heritage Railways are not subsidised.

yorkie said:
As no preserved lines do Y-P discounts (or similar) I am concentrating on covering lines on the national rail network for now.

Young Person's Railcard you mean? Normally Preserved Railways don't accept these, but providing you are in full time education (proof being a NUS card or similar) normally allows you to get a Child Fare.

Established Member
Just to let you all know ill be at this gala on the satruday i coudl do with soem one to go with that knows what there doing as i have'nt to teh GCR for about 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.