• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCSE Science Module Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Who of us has GCSE Science Module exams on the 8th of march (or around that time)? I do, and I don't have a f*cking clue what to do! :mad:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
For my 8th of March Modules I bought a Higher Tier Revision Guide from Lonsdale for £3. Well worth it for your stuck! :)

RJ

Established Member
Rich said:
Who of us has GCSE Science Module exams on the 8th of march (or around that time)? I do, and I don't have a f*cking clue what to do! :mad:

Revise ;)

Tom B

Established Member
Sadly more and more exams are just about knowing how to answer the question rather than knowing about the subject. The whole system is a mess... two markers (remember, highly skilled people expert at the subject) managed to find a difference of 28 marks on one of my Business Studies papers at GCSE - and that's the equivilant of a grade. Really inspires confidence, doesn't it...

Dave A

If you cock up your GCSE's, do an NVQ, bloody easy I tells ya! Completed half of it in 2 weeks! Its meant to take a year!

devon_metro

Established Member
Aureol said:
I found SATs fairly easy last year.
If you do well in your mocks, then you'll do well in your actual SATs.

It's just the Shakespeare papers no one likes! Isn't that right everyone! :P

Yer i should be fine got a great science SAT mock, don't mention Shakespeare- What a load of ...

RJ

Established Member
Those of you in yr 9 or under - do your best to enjoy the rest of your childhood! Once you hit year ten, it's a one way road to Stressville ;)

Muppet

joea1 said:
Those of you in yr 9 or under - do your best to enjoy the rest of your childhood! Once you hit year ten, it's a one way road to Stressville ;)

well said

we dont get know work done in science as everyone plays up

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
dvn1357 said:
Lucky you ;)

Dreads next year,
dreads flipping SAT's

Good luck with the English then... :rolleyes: :p ;)

RJ

Established Member
I'm in top set for everything, people generally mess around with the less experienced teacher. Paper planes are now back in fashion :)

The Snap

Established Member
joea1 said:
I'm in top set for everything, people generally mess around with the less experienced teacher. Paper planes are now back in fashion :)

I'm in top set for everything (except games, but who cares about that?), and the lessons are generally good. joea1, are you doing linear courses in everything except Science like me?

devon_metro

Established Member
joea1 said:

The joys of top set <D

I personally enjoy dropping heavy text books on tables when the teacher least expects it :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
I never understand why the top set gets the new and inexperienced teachers - isn't it a waste giving experienced teachers to people who don't want to learn? Shove them, give them what's left over and redirect resources to people who DO want to learn.

traveller1030

When have paper planes ever been out of fashion? Unsure if my 1995 record of approx. 200 feet from the second floor of my old school has been beaten yet, mind (3/4 length of the central atrium thingybob that was my school's centrepiece - the delights of new-build).

As for the issue of setting, in my day we were only set after starting Y10 (no SATs in my day though, mine being the last cohort never to have seen one of those things whilst at school). Top set in everything too, but never snobbish about it. I'm guessing the logic behind putting experienced teachers in lower-level classes stems from two things, the fact that pupils with lower attainment levels need more coaching and experience from their teacher and lower attainment generally means lower standards of behaviour (but then there are always exceptions to this rule, aren't there... tee hee). Not saying it's right and FWIW the same phenomenon wasn't true of my school... taking MFL as an example, had a newbie for French and an excellent, experienced teacher for Spanish. So I'd be guessing it seems to be a perceived 'knowledge gap' between those new to the job and those in it for donkeys? As a 'top setter', my attitude to that was do your own thing, especially now the Internet is commonplace it stands you in good stead for higher levels of education where more independent research is required. I'm probably veering off-track there though.

Jim

Established Member
20's TILL I DIE! said:
at least i have female friends.

Normally get a hell of mickey taking if you are in that situation mind...
--- edited ---
Rich said:
(except games, but who cares about that?),

:lol: Same with me

Tom B

Established Member
Jim said:

Nothing wrong with it... some people seem to think that you can't have female friends, they must be your girlfriends.... However, the attitude goes away as you get older from my experience.

Jim said:
:lol: Same with me

Ditto :D.

traveller1030 said:
I'm guessing the logic behind putting experienced teachers in lower-level classes stems from two things, the fact that pupils with lower attainment levels need more coaching and experience from their teacher and lower attainment generally means lower standards of behaviour

But then if you have a top set you might well end up with kids asking questions beyond the capabilities of the teacher - a lot of teachers seem to get a degree in whatever they want to teach (say Physics or IT), maybe work in the field for a few years and then not keep up to date with what happens in that field - so when kids ask questions about how xyz which was on the news last week relates to the study, they might be disappointed to find the teacher doesn't know anything about the new research project or whatever. Not saying that happens with all teachers, but some.

Though at our school the teachers seem to vary - they might have a year 8 bottom set and then a year 10 top set, so it evens itself out.

Jim said:

to be honest i don't care what they say! they are the people who will be on the dole when they leave school thinking why didn't i stick in at school and not mess around :D

traveller1030

Cockfosters said:
But then if you have a top set you might well end up with kids asking questions beyond the capabilities of the teacher - a lot of teachers seem to get a degree in whatever they want to teach (say Physics or IT), maybe work in the field for a few years and then not keep up to date with what happens in that field - so when kids ask questions about how xyz which was on the news last week relates to the study, they might be disappointed to find the teacher doesn't know anything about the new research project or whatever. Not saying that happens with all teachers, but some.

I'd have thought precisely the opposite - because the degree knowledge is pretty fresh in the mind, they should still be able to answer the more advanced of questions. As for not keeping their knowledge and skills up to date, as you're probably aware I'm doing a computing BSc at the moment, it would be both career and academic suicide to not keep pace with change in that field, which is arguably one of the fastest-paced in terms of change. I'll admit it's hard to know it all, especially at degree level, but to not keep your knowledge refreshed is an attitude I can ill afford to understand in my field.

An example of that is being up at this ungodly hour evaluating websites' implementations of HCI! :P

Tom B

Established Member
Could be, I suppose - it depends how you look at it, like so many other things.

I was in top sets for most things too, but due to bullying i slowly started to stop doing work, i would just sit in a corner and doodle, the teachers seemed to find it funny to put me in a class with none of my friends and refused to move me. so that was my life at school. i went back to do a levels and dropped out early this year again due to bullying.
I had the micky takein out of me for having "girl" friends aswell so its not just a male thing

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I never had any problems having friends that were girls, as most of them were, & my 2 closest friends last year were both girls, but my year was so close basically everyone was friends with everyone. Got a bit tired of smiling and saying "Hi" to the year everytime I walked across the school though :p

Angus

I'm in Sixth Form and have always had lots of female friends (but more male ones). Girls get on my nerves from time to time and they have their faults but I like some female company.

Tom B

Established Member
Yuo can say that again...

(you can tell I've had a bad week :( ).

Status
Not open for further replies.