• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCSEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian40

Hi everyone,

i’ve been looking online at the current trainee driver vacancies and they want GCSEs in maths and English or equivalent.

Would a functional skills level 2 or higher be classed as an equivalent?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Something like a Scottish National 4/5. Or any equivalent for 16-year-olds from, say, Ireland or France.

DJP78

Functional skills level 2 is the most popular

See ‘Learn Direct’ if you want to take the exam at home. Pricey at £550-£600 but can be completed in around 10 weeks and the exam is facilitated online meaning you can do it at home

Or look at local colleges / adult learning centres who should be able to provide you with the same qualification or their own equivalent

Damian40

Something like a Scottish National 4/5. Or any equivalent for 16-year-olds from, say, Ireland or France.
Thanks for the reply

Functional skills level 2 is the most popular

See ‘Learn Direct’ if you want to take the exam at home. Pricey at £550-£600 but can be completed in around 10 weeks and the exam is facilitated online meaning you can do it at home

Or look at local colleges / adult learning centres who should be able to provide you with the same qualification or their own equivalent
Thanks for the reply.
Do you work on the railways?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply

As it happens I do, but for a back office role.

If you don't have GCSEs and are not able to take any through a local college or similar then this list gives you what the Government consider to be equivalent qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland:

Damian40

As it happens I do, but for a back office role.

If you don't have GCSEs and are not able to take any through a local college or similar then this list gives you what the Government consider to be equivalent qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland:
Thanks for all your help.
I start the functional skills in the next couple of week but wanted to found out if they are classed as equivalent with the rail companies first before I started.

B7rleThrasher

As somebody that has interviewed thousands of candidates for transport related roles, qualify yourself as highly as possible whilst you have the time and opportunity! I often see young people do the bare minimum to achieve grades/qualifications for a job that seems ideal for "here and now", but there is absolutely no harm in futureproofing your career by going for the higher qualification.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Thanks for all your help.
I start the functional skills in the next couple of week but wanted to found out if they are classed as equivalent with the rail companies first before I started.
No worries.

I believe most companies will ask for Grade A*-C (9-4) so you'll probably need the level 2 qualification before applying - but ask your college's careers people for a better answer.

Good luck! And remember that there are many routes to being a driver, and many other roles on the railway equally as fulfilling. If you don't succeed on your first route try a different angle!

Damian40

As somebody that has interviewed thousands of candidates for transport related roles, qualify yourself as highly as possible whilst you have the time and opportunity! I often see young people do the bare minimum to achieve grades/qualifications for a job that seems ideal for "here and now", but there is absolutely no harm in futureproofing your career by going for the higher qualification.
I did my GCSEs over 20years ago and I’ve lost my proof of my grades so need to redo them

DJP78

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply.

Just in the process of switching over. Have an interview on Mon for a non driver role. I’ve passed my TD psychometrics couple months back after taking them privately with RCG.

Hoping to apply for TD role internally

Ahh, apologies for that! Can you not contact your old school and request reprints?

yep spot on. As above, your old school should hold files. If not, you can contact the examination boards to find out who you sat them with.

They’ll send you new certificates for a fee or alternatively, they send out a qualification slip which will suffice as proof of qualification. The recruiting team can then contact the exam board if they wish

Damian40

Ahh, apologies for that! Can you not contact your old school and request reprints?
No need to apologise your only trying to be helpful.

I contacted my old school and was told they can’t help because the records don’t go back that far(97). I don’t mind redoing them, I’m doing the functional skills at college so doesn’t cost me anything and should only take 20 weeks or sooner depending on my tutor.

dzdoris

No need to apologise your only trying to be helpful.

I contacted my old school and was told they can’t help because the records don’t go back that far(97). I don’t mind redoing them, I’m doing the functional skills at college so doesn’t cost me anything and should only take 20 weeks or sooner depending on my tutor.
How strange. I did my exams in 1990 and I've just got proof of mine. Guess it depends on which exam board.

Comfy

Yes functional skills level 2 is equivalent to gcse a-c. And they are accepted by rail companies too. You can still get proof if your exams you did at school bit last time I checked they were on hold because of covid. It wasn't from the school though, I think it was the examining board you need to go to.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
I didn’t realise it was a competition(troll).

Rail recruitment is highly competitive and pretty damn ruthless. With TOCs moving towards asking for qualifications before application; you may find yourself near the bottom of the pile. Jobs adverts are notoriously fickle and can be quite time restricted. I'd advise anyone without qualifications to either gain them in some way or another or find their records asap.

dzdoris

I didn’t realise it was a competition(troll).
Wow. I wasn't trying to be competitive or a troll. Reading your post again, if you contact the exam board rather than the school they might be able to help. That's what I did. Thought it might be helpful to you too.

Damian40

Rail recruitment is highly competitive and pretty damn ruthless. With TOCs moving towards asking for qualifications before application; you may find yourself near the bottom of the pile. Jobs adverts are notoriously fickle and can be quite time restricted. I'd advise anyone without qualifications to either gain them in some way or another or find their records asap.
Not in any rush to apply and that is way I don’t mind resitting my GCSEs. If I never make it to the interview or assessment stage then so be it. I already have a very good career as is.

DriverEight

I did my GCSEs over 20years ago and I’ve lost my proof of my grades so need to redo them
Contact the AQA online. They hold all results and will be able to provide you with a certified copy of the results for a small fee. Takes about 4 weeks. It's NOT a copy of the original certificate, but it's acceptable as proof of the grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.