• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GE Mainline Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Anyone get caught up in the GE closure today between Marks Tey and Colchester (then later Witham and Colchester) due to the vehicle fire (containing gas cylinders) on the adjacent A12? One attempted a replacement bus service, but due to the widespread congestion in the area it was somewhat limited. It affected trains for pretty much the entire day. According to the Essex Fire & Rescue website logs, the Army brought in some "robotic equipment" to examine the cylinders this afternoon which sounds quite interesting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
Yep. Same old story as in other places, high pressure gas cylinders containing flammable substances, they put out the fire but the containers are too hot and could still explode.

Nick W

Established Member
I was lucky as one did a good job organising colchester-norwich shuttles.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Wonder where the 3rd will be. Some time last week the WCML was closed near Watford Gap due to a vehicle fire on the M1, now this, and rail problems always happen in 3s.
Presume they had "Anglia" doing Colchester to Norwich and "GE" doing Liverpool St to Marks Tey, with any Anglia sets trapped to the South just sitting at Liverpool St, and GE sets trapped north doing Clacton, Walton and Harwich.

Z12XE

The service was thinned down slightly.

Any Hauled sets which had staff were used from London to Witham only.

Braintree service as normal and those which would have done London to Clacton and Harwich going to Marks Tey then becoming the next on time departure from MKT in the usual slot

For example the xx:10 arrival at Marks Tey (should be for Harwich) became the xx:23 to London (should have been from Clacton) etc.

170s left at LST out of the way.

mawallace

It was chaos at Cambridge. I was trying to get to Bury St Edmunds, and they sent a single three car 170 - it was packed to bursting. Some people left behind platformds. Problem was people for Ipswich being sent via Cambridge plus the evening peaks. I did think they could have advertised the bus service and they could have handled the thing much better!

Z12XE

There was a bus running from Whittlesford Parkway to Ipswich, but i doubt people would really risk getting of the WA train there and getting stuck.

Remember the time that the GE descended into disaster during the evening peak last year and they sent people for Braintree to Bishop's Stortford to get the bus from there...however they were a little thin on buses and people were left stuck.

There was a lack of buses at Witham as well, so thinning out the crowds as much as possible was needed

Nick W

Established Member
I'm lucky always having a bike with me. Not yet had to cycle from Colchester - Ipswich yet but I reckon 2 hours would be plenty.

andel

I ran through this on Fri night - left on the 18:12 braintree train, changed at Witham for Bus/Taxi and was told my Clacton train was following - woo! I got home at about 9ish... *sigh*... oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.