• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gender Swap at New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewmay

Hi,
On Saturday I was at New Street and I noticed that the ususal shouting Phil Sayer had been replaced by the female version of the announcement system. I hope it is permanent as it is alot nicer to listen to than Phil. It's much softer and quieter. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know if it is permanent?

Cheers,
Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No idea, but I hope it's easier to hear her than the 'woman'* who replaced Phil Sayer at leeds.

* I think it's actually a synthesised computer voice.

TheSlash

Established Member
I think the CIS operator can choose which voice to use. I think they change them over periodically so people don't switch off to announcements

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They changed it over at Bristol Temple Meads a while ago as well.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it wasnt a woman today. It was the usual male voice.

andrewmay

They must have just been trying it out then. I've never heard it before but I wish they'd leave as the woman as its so much better.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jordy

Established Member
I agree with Alex, except at Hull where it is very echoy and hard to hear, you can still understand it though.

Jordy

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wish we had a human at Hull :cry: ;)

To be honest, one of my favourite stations is Selby, as there are still personal announcements made here, even though it's so small.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
BTM woman can be hard depending where your standing, as it echoes alot.

i like the phil slayer announcements but the funniest has to be the woman at Man Pic ....is the 0548 noorthern service to MAARRRple.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Same at Coventry and Birmingham International. A human announcer.

Would you want to be an announcer at Birmingham? You would never stop speaking

Guinness

Established Member
matt said:
Would you want to be an announcer at Birmingham? You would never stop speaking

DSC_0014%20Throat%20Soother.jpg

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The announcers at York have it hard. Sometimes they have to speak non stop for several minutes :shock:

Simming

what about stafford, you would be non stop "please stand away from the edge of the platform, a Frieght train is approaching"

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was a female voice at New Street today

Tom B

Established Member
We have a human at Doncaster and I think we'd be better with Phil Sayer or someone similar - the current announcers are completely useless...

@The train now arriving at platform.... 1.... 3A... 3B... is the.......... ten....twenty......GNER train to London............ King's Cross. Calling at ................................................... Retford............Newark, Grantham.......................................@ (different voice now) @I'm sorry about all that, the train now at platform 3B is the 1020 GNER train to London King's Cross. For Retford, Newark, Grantham, Peterborough, Stevanage and London King's Cross@

Julian G

Established Member
at West Brompton they have those useless announcements
'The next train train to arrive on platform 4 will be the 14:09 Southern Service to.....Watford Junction'
'I'm sorry to announce that the 14:09..Southern service.. Wat-ford..Junction has been delayed by 5mins.....Southern apologises for the delay for your serivce (and immediately) the next train to arrive on platform 4 will your 14:12 'Silverlint (k) service to Willesden Junction'

Yorkie did say that they make announcements at Doncaster whether it's a freight that passing light engine or random.

At Peterborough i think it was similar to what was at Stafford

I do miss the old announcements at Harrow & Wealdstone
'Customers are reminded to stand well away from the yellow line on all platform as fast train approach'

I like the one at Stratford , they are really quite good on saying 'Shenfield'

AlexS

Established Member
The whole PIS died a week ago today at BNS - information screens, Phil Sayer, the lot. There was one Brummie bloke on the PA non stop trying to tell the whole station where every train was with no public departure/arrivals boards up, as well as delays (there were many) cancellations (some) and platform alterations (you know the score).

voyagerdude220

Established Member
AlexS said:
The whole PIS died a week ago today at BNS - information screens, Phil Sayer, the lot. There was one Brummie bloke on the PA non stop trying to tell the whole station where every train was with no public departure/arrivals boards up, as well as delays (there were many) cancellations (some) and platform alterations (you know the score).

A few weeks ago, while on 220 029 on the 13:25 Plym to Glc, I did notice that it was actually a Brummie person on the PA, instead of the normal computerised male voice.

On the subject of Bristol Temple M, I travel through it every month, and sometimes find it hard what the female computerised voice says. I also noticed though, when standing on platform 1, that it said " The train now approaching platform 1 is the (said time) to Cardiff Central, this train is the service from Bristol Temple Meads."

Hay- We're at BTM allready! For BTM, I personally prefer the male voice though, because of all the echoes that often make the PA hard to understand.

The worst one I heard 3 weeks ago was at Manchester Victoria's Metrolink platforms- A women went on to the PA, and all everyone could here is this dribble, and we couldn't understand what was being said. Very bad when your stuck in the station for around 20 mins waiting for a tram towards Bury.

The Manchester Picc voice is the same as Liverpool Lime Street's. I went to Liverpool for a day out 2 weeks ago, and you should hear it announce a Northern service to Ellesmere Port. (It sounded somewhat depressing & funny at the same time!)

steve158

the female announcer's voice gets all the pronounciations wrong, that's why it's only occasionally used.

if announcements are made manually at BHM, it's funny sometimes, when the arriva train is starting at wolves and they try to pronounce the welsh names, or the announcer said a train was calling at smethwick west :o

Jim

Established Member
Has anyone noticed, at Waterloo, instead of pronouncing it Tin - mouth (how you say it) he says Tyne Mouth :shock: :oops:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Aureol said:
I personally prefer Phil Sayer to be honest.

First 'she' takes over Sheffield, now Birmingham New Street, what's next? Derby? <(

I was at BHM yesterday and twice last week, once the week before, all the time, the Male voice was played.

devon_metro

Established Member
Jim said:
Has anyone noticed, at Waterloo, instead of pronouncing it Tin - mouth (how you say it) he says Tyne Mouth :shock: :oops:

Lol! Idiot, it should be pronounced teeenmuth or teeenmouth depending on how you say it!
definatly not Tin-Mouth!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have only ever heard the female voice once at New Street and I go to New Street daily

Julian G

Established Member
Jim said:
Use my Penzance announcer*, if you are not happy :D ;)
*Yorkie has it

TheSlash

Established Member
Why is there a topic about the computised voice of the public address system at BNS, in the Signalling and Pway section?

Status
Not open for further replies.