• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gene Wilder dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
The Candyman could.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/29/gene-wilder-death-willy-wonka-mel-brooks-comedy

GraunImagination said:
Gene Wilder, star of Willy Wonka and Mel Brooks comedies, is dead at 83, his family says.

Wilder’s nephew said on Monday that the actor and writer died late Sunday in Stamford, Connecticut, from complications from Alzheimer’s disease.

The frizzy-haired actor was a master at playing panicked characters caught up in schemes that only a madman such as Mel Brooks could devise, whether reviving a monster in Young Frankenstein or bilking Broadway in The Producers.

But he also knew how to keep it cool as the boozy sheriff in Blazing Saddles and as the charming candy man in the children’s favourite Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
RIP. His face is quite familiar on the internet due to that meme...

5ccea065dde2e5a9d06b8f80ce73a5bb.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blazing Saddles. Still one of the funniest films ever. Also loved the films he did with Richard Pryor.
RIP Gene, thanks for the many laughs.

87 027

I liked Silver Streak - many funny moments (with Richard Pryor) - and the train crash at the end is very spectacular!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Blazing Saddles. Still one of the funniest films ever. Also loved the films he did with Richard Pryor.
RIP Gene, thanks for the many laughs.

an absolutely fantastic film and a very cutting satire on Hollywood racism and myth building in relation to the wild west.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Blazing Saddles. Still one of the funniest films ever.

an absolutely fantastic film and a very cutting satire on Hollywood racism and myth building in relation to the wild west.

One of my favourites too, has me crying laughing every time I watch it. Gene was great as the Waco Kid (the shooting hand scene is brilliant) and the chemistry between him and the excellent Cleavon Little was superb. Needless to say you could never make something even remotely as controversial these days, but I think a lot of people miss the point of it being so racist - it was the black sheriff, alcoholic gunslinger and all of the Chinese, Irish and black labourers who were the decent, honest people; and all of the white Americans who were bigoted and either got outsmarted or saved by those they persecuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.