• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

general 166

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordylad

Hi all I'm currently taking a lot of interest in the 166/165. Does anyone know of any relevant publications to read.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
How inter-compatable are their systems? Could you put 165 centre carriages in a 166 without much work, and vice versa? Also I think I've read on this fourm before that they were built to allow convertion to EMU. Is this true and if so is it still possible, and how cheap/easy would it be?

34D

Established Member
Did you know that a class 165 visited Leeds once?

Would expect centre cars to be the same. Isn't the main difference that 166/168 are capable of 90mph but 165 only 75?

RPM

Established Member
Did you know that a class 165 visited Leeds once?

Would expect centre cars to be the same. Isn't the main difference that 166/168 are capable of 90mph but 165 only 75?

165/0 max speed 75. Class 165/1 and 166 max speed 90. Class 168 max speed 100.

The only real differences between a 165/1 and a 166 are the air conditioning and the internal spec; the 166 has a 1st class compartment at both ends, a small area in the centre car with standard class 2+2 seating/tables and more substantial partitions between the passenger saloons and vestibule areas.

Leeds notwithstanding, I'm fairly sure I've seen a picture of a 165 on test at Newcastle - but could be mistaken.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How inter-compatable are their systems? Could you put 165 centre carriages in a 166 without much work, and vice versa? Also I think I've read on this fourm before that they were built to allow convertion to EMU. Is this true and if so is it still possible, and how cheap/easy would it be?

165/166 combinations have been observed from time to time so it must be relatively straightforward to do. Over the years there have been examples of 166 centre cars inserted in 2-car 165s and driving car substitutions resulting in mixed 165/166 formations. They have generally been short lived.

fordylad

I've tried all the usual places for information. I'm mainly after technical information. As I'm currently on a trainee drivers course

CP165

165/166 combinations have been observed from time to time so it must be relatively straightforward to do. Over the years there have been examples of 166 centre cars inserted in 2-car 165s and driving car substitutions resulting in mixed 165/166 formations. They have generally been short lived.

Yes that's right. I understand that you can mix and match vehicles with virtually no work being done. Chiltern once created a hybrid where an extra driving car was coupled onto the front of a two-car 165/0 unit.

Established Member
I've tried all the usual places for information. I'm mainly after technical information. As I'm currently on a trainee drivers course

Well surely you will get what is required as part of your training. If it is in addition to what you get why not ask your DI if he/she has anything. I am sure they did fault finding and other assorted booklets when they first came out, but the old grey matter that is my brain cant recall.

fordylad

Thanks for your reply, I do have the traction manual for a turbo. I was looking for something to read in my spare time. To help with studying. Thanks again though

Status
Not open for further replies.