• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Election 2017: The Results and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As with the EU Referendum (how spoiled we are two massive national votes in less than a year!) we've discussed the campaign, we've had a poll and a chat about who we're actually voting for and finally we counted down to the day itself.

However, it's time to draw a line under all of that and focus on the results as they come in and then what that means for the UK and us lucky souls that get to live here :lol:

Exit poll should be out shortly which, in the last two General Elections, has been pretty near to spot on so will hopefully give us an idea of what to expect. Then we can just wait for the results to come rolling in first probably from the North East and Sunderland and Newcastle once again duke it out to be the first to declare.

Finally there is, as always, the choice as to whose coverage to watch! I, personally, shall be watching Dimbleby as there can't be another choice surely!?

Strap in folks, it's going to be a long one!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Exit poll:

CON: 314
LAB: 266
SNP: 34
LD: 14
PC: 3
GRN: 1
UKIP: 0
OTHER: 18

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Going to be interesting.

If you look at that poll - Labour + LibDem + SNP = 314

Any seats could make a big difference here.

sk688

Finally there is, as always, the choice as to whose coverage to watch! I, personally, shall be watching Dimbleby as there can't be another choice surely!?

I'm watching Channel 4's Alternative Election Night . Was really good with Paxman and David Mitchell in 2015 , and now in 2017 so far Paxman has been much better than when he interviewed Corbyn and May

Absolutely thrilled if this election poll is true , but what an absolute mess made Theresa May has made , if this is true

Waiting to see though , not getting too happy yet

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I'm no expert, but does a hung parliament actually work well for us (as the general populace from either side of the spectrum)

Every movement will have to be negotiated, no railroading of party policies.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Tories all in flat out denial that the exit poll will be true. We will see! I certainly think a thumping great Tory majority is out of the window.

DerekC

Established Member
Can't quite believe it. Let's see a few results - don't forget last time when a hung parliament was forecast right through until the early hours, but the Tories still managed to scrape up a majority.

Dave1987

On Moderation
I'm no expert, but does a hung parliament actually work well for us (as the general populace from either side of the spectrum)

Every movement will have to be negotiated, no railroading of party policies.

Hung parliament would be perfect. No extremist policies getting through. Every negotiated properly and sensibly.

najaB

Veteran Member
For the second time this week, I get to say it: Okay, kids. This is where it gets complicated!

DerekC

Established Member
It would be very interesting if it's right. My guess is that Teresa May will hang on as PM of a minority government - but what then?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It would be very interesting if it's right. My guess is that Teresa May will hang on as PM of a minority government - but what then?

She called this election to secure her position going into the Brexit negotiations if her party don't get a majority then I'm not sure her position will be all that tenable...

chris11256

If this poll proves accurate then no party of either side could build a working coalition with enough of a majority. Even a combination of labour and other parties don't pass the majority threshold.

Another election anyone!

Established Member

I don't think she will, the reason she called it in the first place was to give her a stronger mandate in the negotiations with the EU, that has certainly been blown out of the water if this exit poll is correct.

Established Member
It's an interesting exit poll, far better than I was expecting it to be. As Dave has said, I'm not counting any chickens yet.

Howardh

Established Member
If this poll proves accurate then no party of either side could build a working coalition with enough of a majority. Even a combination of labour and other parties don't pass the majority threshold.

Another election anyone!

If there is perhaps the likes of the Daily Mayl will tone it down a bit.

I can dream...it will get worse and worse.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's an interesting exit poll, far better than I was expecting it to be. As Dave has said, I'm not counting any chickens yet.
Given the accuracy of recent exit polls it at least indicates that a Tory landslide is unlikely.

bangor-toad

Not a good looking outcome.

It would appear that this will give the DUP the balance of power for the entire UK. Wow.

D365

Veteran Member
Given the accuracy of recent exit polls it at least indicates that a Tory landslide is unlikely.

Which is in every way possible an improvement on what the tabloids were reporting 24 hours ago.

najaB

Veteran Member
Which is in every way possible an improvement on what the tabloids were reporting 24 hours ago.
Not *every* possible way. The value of the Pound v Dollar/Euro has dropped quite sharply. But I'm okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.