• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Election Poll: Who did you vote for? (Exit Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
This poll is here to compliment and update the existing one. Who did you vote for? (Rather than who will you vote for in the other one.)
The options are taken from the older poll thread, but I have removed most of the options which received 0 votes.
I wonder how similar it will be to the other poll...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I don't want to sound stupid but what is the legal situation about conducting an exit poll?
I knwo this is highly unlikely to effect the result, but still.

Is it possible to hide the poll results?

eastdyke

Established Member
I hope that the Admin Staff here are prepared for a stretch. ;)
I have always understood that whilst the polls are open, it is a criminal offence to publish anything about the way in which people have voted in that election.

ABB125

Established Member
I don't want to sound stupid but what is the legal situation about conducting an exit poll?
I knwo this is highly unlikely to effect the result, but still.

Is it possible to hide the poll results?

I hope that the Admin Staff here are prepared for a stretch. ;)
I have always understood that whilst the polls are open, it is a criminal offence to publish anything about the way in which people have voted in that election.
I don't really know, I should be able to hide the results though.
EDIT: I've now set it to only be able to see the results if you've voted, in the absence of any obvious other method of hiding the results. Maybe someone who knows more about the poll system knows if it could be more hidden.

jfollows

Established Member
You can tell anyone how you voted, for example https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50381748
What about telling your followers how you voted?
Yes you can - but only about your vote and not anyone else's, so you are advised not to update your account inside the polling station. The punishment for revealing how another person voted - even accidentally - is up to £5,000, or six months in prison.

You are not allowed to photograph the ballot paper you receive in a polling station - but you can snap your postal ballot paper, because electoral law treats them differently.
So "social media" can report your posts which you made on how you voted, and they are doing nothing wrong. I can't see a problem here, the poll is only collecting numbers and isn't saying how individuals voted. Incidentally, on the sister thread I and others have stated how we have voted, by our own choice, and that's not a problem either.

jfollows

Established Member
That to me implies that YOU can say how you voted, but no-one else can. I may be wrong though.
Yes, and the electronic media which reports what YOU have said about how you have voted is not "someone else" here.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, this exit poll is a relatively small (unrepresentative) sample of people freely choosing to publicly say (anonymised via the poll results) how they have voted. No different to saying "I voted xxxx" in a string of forum posts really that could simply be added up.

"Proper" Exit polls are much more carefully conducted, adjusted by various factors to be representative, and are effectively the polling agency communicating how they were told that *somebody else* voted.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You're not allowed to take dogs into polling stations, other than assistance dogs. Boris Johnson has been shown exiting his polling station with dog, thus presumably confirming he needs assistance, which a lot of us suspected. :lol:

scotrail158713

Established Member
You're not allowed to take dogs into polling stations, other than assistance dogs. Boris Johnson has been shown exiting his polling station with dog, thus presumably confirming he needs assistance, which a lot of us suspected. :lol:
:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.